Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meet Rico and Nico

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Re: Meet Rico and Nico

Hi everyone.

I thought instead of starting new threads, that I'd post updates on previous introduction threads and make seperate threads for each species, to hopefully make my posts more shorter!

Rico and Nico are doing alright. They're definitely a handful and it feels like I have human kids when it comes to them lol. Overall, I think they are ok. Earlier this year around February, Nico got sick again, doing the stargazing thing like she did last year in November. We still don't know what caused it the second time again, but we did bring her to the vet and he prescribed baytril for 10 days and it helped her and she was back to her normal self. We think she ate her own poop. Because in their huge cage they would go to the top and just hang on the cage bars and sometimes just drop poop on them and then when they climb around they may eat it. Even when we put a perch at the top they didn't use it they just kept hanging. So they have been migrated into a smaller cage. It is not ideal since they are bigger, and they are now in a cage more suitable for the lovebirds. But they get more additional time out of the cage to compensate for the smaller cage. And we decided to put them in the smaller cage so that Nico could recover and have more rest at the time too. Since then there have been no signs of illness thankfully.

However, Rico still bullies Nico sometimes. It is usually if one of us comes into the room and its like she's protecting her but she's bullying her at the same time and pushing and shoving her until she moves and sometimes even when Nico moves she keeps pushing her which I really really hate. When she does that we sometimes grab rico and put her in a box for five minutes to hopefully make her learn her lesson. The lesson is never learned but at least it gives Nico some peace for awhile and rico is a little calmer after her time out for a short while too.

She plucked some off the feather off of little Nico's head, and this usually occurs in the early morning. It still seems to be a problem but Nico refuses to be separated from rico. It gets frustrating sometimes. And for some reason, Rico started plucking her own feathers too and we heard that it was possibly because she was trying to make a nest with her own feathers! They previously had a nestbox in their little cage, as someone told us they like to have little places to hide or sleep. So for awhile they had it and it was actually good because I think they slept better with the sounds of the others minimised for them. But once we started to notice the plucked feathers we removed the box from them. From time to time my partner will put diluted iodine on the seas that have been plucked to help them stop. It breaks my heart seeing this and I really do not know what to do about them. If anyone has suggestions I do welcome them.

But apart from this plucking issue, they love being outside in the lounge room and rico still loves taking massive baths in big containers full of water. Rico still hates bedtime and once her blankets come on she climbs and starts flapping her wings and shouting lol. But she eventually stops about 30 minutes after the lights have gone out. They still love their fruits, and some vegetables.

Here are some photos, rico is the red bellied one, and nico is the other one, there are a few more of Nico as its a little hard to get rico's photo sometimes:

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Re: Meet Rico and Nico

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding Rico the red bellied conure above. She keeps plucking herself and we don't know how to stop her.

On her legs, on the part that should still have feathers, there are no feathers, just her bare legs. And she has plucked from her belly area too. Some of the red is gone because of her plucking. At first we think she was trying to pluck herself for nesting material. But she actually plucks herself when she is trying to give a warning. Like if she sees our full hand and doesnt like it she makes an angry sound and then goes and plucks her leg. Like a bad habit. Do you have any suggestions of how to stop her doing that?

My partner rang the lady that we got her from who is also the lady we get our bulk seeds and French millets from. She said it can be from a variety of things such as stress, boredom, or lice. We are ruling out lice, mites etc as they are indoor in the house. I am thinking half boredom and half wanting to bully and being bossy. The lady suggested aloe vera spray, rather than a pet shop anti-feather-plucking product. My partner just went to get some but when I read the ingredients he didn't get pure aloe vera, as there aas a bunch of other things in the ingredients like ethanol, witch hazel, vitamin e etc. So I said not to use that until we get pure aloe. He has put iodine on the plucked areas from time to time but I dont know if it has made her stop. Maybe she doesnt go and pluck at night anymore but she still does the silly behaviour of leaning over to her leg and biting it for half a second to give a warning to back off.

We give her as much attention as possible. She does like to be outside with her friend but unfortunately they can't be outside 24/7. And she HATES bedtime. No matter what time bedtime is she will keep screaming for at least 45 minutes after the blankets are on everyone and the lights are out in the birdie room. The other birds, even the other bigger ones will start to settle once they get their blankets and either go to their sleeping spots or have a small snack etc. But Rico will shout and shout. I dont think she lets the others sleep for at least the first hour of darkness. We used to put a small light near their cage but that only worked for a short while last year, but doesnt seem to work anymore.

We rang the Spanish vets too but no one has answered the phone so might try again in a few hours to see if they have recommendations too. Rico has always had a behaviour problem since maybe a few months after she came here. She also plucked the feather of her friend's head too awhile ago and they were separated for awhile then put back together again.

Remove Ads