where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meet Rico and Nico

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Meet Rico and Nico

So the past three weeks, I have been keeping a secret! Three weeks ago, when my partner was trying to save a wild baby starling, he went to the lady we get our French millet from to get some advice about it (she has many many many birds and many aviaries both inside and outside), and came back home with two conures! I was in shock (not to mention dealing with a cold and preparing for exams), but he was really upset, he said when he went to see her, she was in the process of giving away many birds (mostly the indoor ones that she was looking after) as her husband had suffered a heart attack and she wasnt able to look after them for the time being, and apparently she did not want to give the conures to a breeder because they would seperate them as apparently one of them is a rare species but they are bonded to each other so she asked him to please take those two, so he did, with 2 cages included, one for bringing them and one their actual home.

So here they have been for the past three weeks, they completed quarantine and we took them to our preferred vet 25 minutes away who examined them throughly and said they were healthy, and Nico also had a breeder band on his leg, not tight or anything, but my partner isn't a fan of them so she also removed that, but I'm not sure what the numbers and letters on the ring mean.

They have since been introduced to the others and stay in the same room now. At first socrates the ringneck, didnt seem very happy about them next door to him, but after awhile he was fine, we placed Ashi and Koko's cage more closer to him so that probably calmed him down as he likes Ashi . The lady who gave them to us also said they are healthy, they are apparently about 4 years old, and are 100% MALE. Finally more males lol. They have never been DNA'd to my knowledge but apparently it is believed that they have never laid eggs or tried to mate.

The smaller one is named Nico, and the one with the red belly is named Rico. We gave them those names, as the Red one apparently was previously named "Blue" lol, and not by that lady, by the previous owner before her. They are not fully tamed, and do not like hands, however Rico, the red belly, loves to perch on our heads or shoulders and loves to perch on top of our lap tops and look at what we are doing. He really loves being outside of the cage. Nico, the smaller one, likes to follow Rico everywhere. And he talks all day long, he makes a "crr crr" sound or sometimes a quack sound. It is a soft sound but he does it all day. Rico will scream a lot when he is frustrated and wants to get out of the cage. They seem to prefer being in the lounge room with us instead of the birdie room, but in the birdie room they are also fine most of the time, they just seem to prefer the lounge. When Rico screams he sounds like a horse saying "neigh neigh" and sometimes he makes that flirty whistle sound that humans make the one that goes "whew whoo!" Nico the little one is easy to catch, as he flies slowly and climbs around slowly so its easy to just get him and hold him, but for some reason the first day or two he was happy to actually perch on our hand and arms, but since then he is always trying to get away so I'm not sure whats happened there but he's still easy to catch lol.

When they first came we had them in a small flight cage for a few days, not the ideal situation but we didnt have anything else and my partner thought their previous ones were too rusty, but since then we replaced that cage with same cage that our Kovu and Kiara have and they seem happy with it, it is spacious for them, if anything I think its too big for kovu and kiara instead

And now.... there are 12. I think that will be all for now lol physically I dont think anymore can fit in their room

I do like the conures though, they are cute and appear to be friendly, and to my surprise I have not seen them fight at all! The lovebirds are always finding excuses to fight with their bonded friends, but these conures, no fights whatsoever!

With their species/ mutation is Nico a green cheeked conure and Rico a crimson bellied conure? And is it true he is a rare kind? I tried to do some research and wikipedia classifies crimson bellies as vulnerable.

Finally, here is a link to some pictures of them :

https://imgur.com/gallery/hU1xh

Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Re: Meet Rico and Nico

Wow are they gorgeous!!!!! I know they’ll be at home with you two in no time!!!!! What did I say? Birds are like chips? Hahahahaha!!!! Congrats!!
    Happily owned by Zephyr, Zenith, and Zazu

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Wow, that is a lot of birds to keep but no doubt you and your partner will be able to take great care of them. They are gorgeous birds! I have seen a few birds like Rico here at the bird stores but our birds stores here seem to have all kinds of birds that are not at most stores. One of the forum moderators of this forum years ago had one too and he was a sweetheart. I do think they are not common conures at all because I have only seen them at two of our stores here and at one of them it was the owners bird. Conures are great birds and hopefully yours will learn how to talk like Tikki does. They have the sweetest little voices. Do all the birds get along together when they are out of the cage or do you let them out separately?
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Thanks Jen, they really are like chips lol especially to my partner, he can never say no. They have settled in well, Rico never wants to stay in the birdie room. At this moment I am in the lounge room and he is continuously screaming loudly. He only stops when I go there, but then if I stay long enough he starts screaming again. He wants to stay outside of the cage as in the lounge room during quarantine he would stay outside a lot of the day. I feel bad but the weather is really hot at the moment so I have to keep the fans on to keep the air cooler. I may let them out tomorrow though for a little while but not long if its too hot since I can't have the fans on if they are out. He runs around back and forth when he's frustrated, just like the other birds when they are frustrated about something.

12 is sooo many, it wouldn't feel like so many if everyone were in one aviary, but the lovebirds as cute as they are, are bullies so I have to keep them seperate in pairs instead (except luna and Socrates the ringneck). I never thought we would have this many and did not set out to get this many either.

They definitely are sweet, I did fall in love with them immediately when just having them around in the lounge room. Wow but sounds like maybe that are not as common after all like the lady said. I hope we can teach them to talk as well! I have heard they do talk as well as ringneck but socrates was never taught to talk so he only makes ringneck sounds. But the conures are younger so maybe its possible.

The conures dont play outside with the other birds, only separately. However when they were outside sometime last week, my partner brought socrates out too but he was holding socrates. The conures looked curious about him, but didnt do anything. So I think they didnt mind each other. They definitely do seem so gentle!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Tikki is a pineapple green cheek and he is a mellow sweet bird. He is quiet but loves to make a low sort of grunt all the time. He says lots of words and short sentences. My favorite iis "give me a kiss" and then he does a imitation smooch sound. I never knew how talkative conures were. He is hyper like Boomer was but in a much mellow way.

I hope your partner knows to not bring anymore birds home. That is a huge flock of birds you have. Socrates must feel alone with all the little birds.... Don't tell the partner that or he will have to get him a friend!! Are you in Tasmania? For some reason I think you are. I have friends in Melbourne and its been so hot there. Hopefully its cooler where you live.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 1,232 Posts

Congrats on brining home Nico and Rico!! They are beautiful! You and Jen are in a competition right now! Jen.....12 is the magic number!!!! . Quite honestly, if I could do so, I would have a big aviary of birds. They are my favorite pets of all. It is danger for me to go to a pet shop! Many a time I went inside to get bird seed, and came out with a bird.

Nico and Rico could have no better caregivers than you and your partner! It was very kind for your partner to take them! It is heart wrenching to have to give them away, but it helps a lot when you know they will have a great home and caregivers!

We sure will watch for updates on your flock! Good luck!

Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Lol Ellen!!!! I think my husband would divorce me. Lol In his defense, I’ve had many animals in our life together. I have a huge connection with all creatures and he’s less than inclined nowadays to let me have my way lol!!!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 1,232 Posts

Jen... Just be sweet, kind, and pamperous of him!!!!!!!. That is a new word for Webster's!!!. And, one at a time.....sneak them right through the door, right into the bird room! . They are " cheep..cheep .cheep..cheeeeeepppper" by the dozen!!!

Name
    Jen
    Thanks

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! You’re so funny girl!!!

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Thanks Deanna I hope that too. That is so cute how Tikki can talk! When Rico makes the "whoo whoo" sound I actually think he's frustrated. He is always screaming and running back and forth, I dont think he likes to be in a cage a lot or in the birdie room either. Sometimes when we bring their cage to the lounge room and open the door he doesn't go out of it straight away but is more calm. I thought he would be happier amongst the other birds though.

Yeah I am in Tasmania. The whole country seems to be going through a heatwave right now. Here in Tasmania it is also really hot. While it doesnt go higher than 30 degrees Celsius where I am, it still reaches 28 or 29 and that is really too hot for this area because the mountains are an hour away and we are along the coast too so its supposed to be cooler all the time. The heatwave is supposed to ease by tomorrow, but it is definitely warm. I have heard Melbourne has been dealing with hot weather over 30 degrees celcius too, and in Sydney, where I am originally from, they have just had 35 degrees everyday for the past week or so. Something strange is definitely happening the world. I am counting the days until Winter arrives.

Because of this heat I am reluctant to let anyone out of their cages to play. Thankfully, the birdie room is the cooler room in the house, and only gets warm for a little while in the evening when the sun is going down because it goes down on their side but by that time they are already blanketed with light black covers that conceal cool air for them. Everyone seems fine to stay where they are, and are happy singing and chirping all day long doing their thing, its just Rico who screams all day wanting to get out.

Lol he did consider getting Socrates a friend previously, but the French millet lady actually told him he's probably not going to get along with another ringneck anymore because he is used to the lovebirds now and the fact that he liked Ashi and Kovu too for awhile So another ringneck is definitely off the table.

Thanks Ellen and Jen! You are both funny lol. Yes maybe 12 is the magic number after all, maybe Jen would like to beat me and have 13 birdies soon?

Ellen that is how Luna came into our lives, we went to the pet shop to buy more toys and she came instead because we felt bad for her sitting at the bottom of her cage. Petshops are definitely tempting. I always have to remember the financial concepts and lack of space and remind my partner of them too. I do wish I could keep more of the birds in one bigger cage but they will fight and they were separated in the first place because of fighting.

Lol cheeper by the dozen I love that!

Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Lolol!!!! 13 - 10 for me. but if I could I probably would lol

Name
    Henry
    Thanks

Threads like these make me not opposed to getting a 4th bird. *sigh*

Welcome them both, conures are great in general from what I am finding out. I have interacted with a green cheek and a sun. Both made good impressions on me.

Yours are so beautiful!

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Thanks Henry! And I am glad to hear about the good impressions from interacting with green cheeks and sun conures!

Sorry I haven't been on here for awhile everyone, its been a hectic few weeks and slowly calming down again.

Just thought I would provide a quick update on the two conures. They have settled in really well. There are some days when Rico, the red bellied one, will scream really loudly and run around frantically because he wants out of the cage so some of the days we let him and Nico out in the lounge for awhile. Half of the time all they do outside of the cage is just perch on top of the tv and fall asleep lol. Something they could be doing inside the cage but thats alright sometimes birdies just want to have space provided I suppose. Socrates, the ringneck has had time outside with them too. They dont go too close to one another but they dont try to bully each other either so thats a good sign. Their cages are situated next to each other in the birdie room too. Socrates has finished moulting and has become hormonal again, running around and screeching too like he used to before.

Also, I think that birdie room is full of hormones. I actually caught the conures trying to mate with each other. I can't understand why everyone just wants to mate all the time. They must sense the hormones. The only pairs I have not seen try to mate again is Ashi and Koko and Nala and Iki. Kovu and Kiara would sometimes spread their wings but not actually mate (and we recently separated those two but thats a story for another thread), and my little Asha and Ashu still try to sometimes. Naughty lovebirds, they have taught the conures the wrong things to do lol. Its always Rico doing the boy job on top. We were told they were both boys though and that they have never laid eggs. However I wonder if this is the first time they had mated or if its occurred before. I'm definitely keeping my eye on them, and apart from that, they are happy and settled in well, enjoying their seed mixes and they adore all fruits and corn.

Name
    Jen
    Thanks

That’s lovely everyone is doing so well!! I have yet to get to hormonal behavior so that should be loads of fun. Lol

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

The hormones have been raging in Tikki too. I have been bird sitting him for 4 days and he went home tonight but I caught him mating with all kinds of things and his favorite is his rope perch in his cage. Boys are such little horny birds when they are feeling hormonal and Tikki is all boy

I could not even imagine having all those raging hormones you have in your small house Laila and you must be doing something right because so far no one has had any babies.

Remove Ads