Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budgie Vomiting

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Budgie Vomiting

Hi everyone! My name is Parul and I'm new to this forum. The thing is, my little budgie isn't feeling very good. (Just to start off, my budgie is about 5 years old. After about 4 and half years of thinking my budgie was a boy there was an egg and we realized that my budgie was in fact female lol. However, it's really hard to use female pronouns after so long, so if you guys don't mind, I'll say "he" when I talk about "him" lol.) Anyways, so the thing is for quite a while, my budgie will vomit on and off. "He'll" be fine for about 10-20 days and then vomit. Usually it lasts for about 3 hours (and typically happens in the afternoon) and then "he'll" start preening and singing like nothing happened *knocks on wood*. Then, at around 8-9 the next morning it happens again. The only difference is the first day the vomit is mostly seeds and the second day it's mostly mucous. I've also noticed that it only usually happens when there is a change of weather. Once it was nice weather for 3 weeks and there was no vomiting. Furthermore, "he" vomits if "he" gets less sleep. For example, he stayed up on New Year's Eve with me and was sick in the morning. This doesn't repeat itself a second time like "his" other vomiting sessions do. If it's very noisy all night (like windy) "he" also gets sick. Strangely enough, there is also usually a bubble in his poop after "he" vomits, but that's only for a few poops after "he" stops vomiting and then "his" poops go back to normal *knocks on wood* "He" is on an all seed diet (I know that's bad, I'm trying to change it but the constant vomiting makes it very hard). "He" also has a small cup of Roudybush Pellets in "his" cage. Occasionally (as in when I see there had hasn't been any vomiting in the past few days) I try some veggies, fruits and boiled egg. I also give some Apple Cider Vinegar water as I've heard that can help. It's about 1.2 ml per half cup of water. I know most of you will say to take my budgie to a vet, and I understand. The only certified avian vet in my city has some horror story-like reviews and I'm terrified to go to her. Another one is in the province next to mine (so atleast 2hours away) and it's so cold here (-20 C) that I don't want to make my budgie stressed out with the trip. I'm going to call and ask if I can bring a fecal sample over to be tested. If anyone knows a good vet in Ottawa that would be awesome. I'm sorry this is so long but there's so many specific details I couldn't leave out. I love my budgie more then anything and would do absolutely anything to make "him" better again. "He's" practically my "son" and I'd be so grateful for any kind of help.

So basically (because I know the above way way to long lol)
    •Budgie is a female and has laid 2 eggs
    •Budgie vomits seeds for a few hours, stops, returns to normal, and then continues to vomit mucous the following morning for a few hours, feels better and stays that way until the next weather change (approximately 10-20 days)
    •Literally only happens with a change in weather or lack of sleep
    •Seeds only diet with small amounts of pellets everyday, and occasional veggie, fruit or boiled egg
    •Has ACV water daily (with occasional breaks due to vomiting fits)
    •Goes to bed at around 9:30 pm and wakes up at around 7:30 am (if I have school) and whenever "he" wants lol on weekends (usually around 9:30-10:00 am). This means that "he" does get around 10 hours of sleep a night (though I do hear "him" get up every few hours to eat. Is this normal because of their fast metabolisms?)
    •I have a scale and have weighed "him" and "he" is at 46g *knocks on wood*
    •"He" comes out occasionally but "his" cage is large so I'm sure there's plenty of room to exercise

And that's basically it. I'm sorry again that it's so long I wanted to give as much detail as possible. I just really want "him" healthy again because I feel so very bad for "him". "He's" so small. Like I said any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks again in advance!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Budgie Vomiting

The bubbles in his poos are gas bubbles and to me that means he has some sort of gastric thing going on inside him which is making him sick which you already know because he has been getting sick. I would definitely call around and see if you can take a fecal sample to the vets so they can take a look at it. The cold is not good but if you have a good car and you know it will make it there without breaking down I would recommend taking him to the vet. Or if you have a avian vet in your town I would take him there and ask them to do a fecal test and possibly a crop swab test to see if they can find anything. They will not hurt him by testing his poos and just make sure you are there when they examine him. I know a girl who works for a big rescue here and she takes in lots of budgies to her house and sadly lots of them come to her with Avian Gastric Yeast (AGY) which sadly my lovebird had too and in the end it killed him. It seems to be very common in budgies and it makes them throw up seeds and have gas bubbles in there poos. It also makes the poos have lots of water in them. Boomers poos were little hard green feces the wet part was clear but had a yellowish/orange color ring around it. Not much white was in them at all unless his belly wasn't hurting him. A fecal test might just show some AGY rods in it but it would have to be kept fresh. Our vet always takes a sample of poo from the travel cage and checks it right away looking for things under the microscope. The apple cider vinegar is very acidy and lots of people do use it but just make sure you bird is drinking it and don't leave it in the water for a long time. He needs fresh water too. It may also cause his stomach distress which would give him the gas bubbles in his poos. The vomiting really does sound not good but thankfully it does stop and does not go on all the time. If at all possible the trip to the vet would be the best thing for him. I had to drive a hour to our vet from my house and even when Boomer was super sick he always made it there. Boomer had AGY that went systemic so it could not be cured so his belly was a mess. His vet gave us sucralfate which is for acid and ulcers in people and birds and it really helped Boomers gut feel better when he was really sick. It does have to be given on a empty stomach though. I think a seed only diet and roudybush is a good diet for him, it is what our birds in the family eat as well. Since he has something going on it might just be the best thing for him right now. Fruits and fresh foods with any kind of sugars might make him sicker especially since it could be AGY which like I said is very common in budgies.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi Deanna! Thank you so much for your reply! I've been looking on these forums for a while now, hoping to find an answer to my little guy's condtion. I think I've read every single thread on vomiting, sadly. I hope this doesn't sound creepy, but I've seen your name on many threads and am honestly kind of honoured to be able to talk to you! You seem to know a lot about birds. I emailed the vet to see if I can bring in a fecal sample. If they tell me I have to bring my budgie, then I guess I'll wait for some good weather and take him then. Quick question, does a crop swab hurt? My budgie also has slightly watery poos, but I"ve also heard that horomones can cause that, so I'm praying that it's due to that. For him, the wet part is clear, but turns yellowish green after a few hours (heard that it could be due to the paper towels, hopefully that's it). About the apple cider vinegar, I was actually quite scared at first that he wouldn't like it. I didn't want him to stop drinking fresh water, so what I do is give him the ACV water in a shot glass. He drinks it staright out of the glass and likes it quite a bit, thankfully! (I think the glass makes him feel special lol). I'm glad the vomiting stops after a bit too. I think I will have to take him (or at least a fecal sample) to the vet. In the meantime, I'm going to give him some thyme tea, as I heard it has cured one bird's AGY. Maybe it can at the very least make him feel a bit better. I am also going to get a UV lamp, as someone on another forum suggested that (the thing is, he started vomiting after we moved houses, so maybe he gets less sunlight here?) Either way, I'll see what the vet says. Thank you again so much for your help! Me and my little budgie really appreciate it. Also, I'm so sorry to hear about Boomer. I'm sure that he was happy with someone as caring as you looking after him. I really wish these little guys never got sick . Thank you once again for all your help!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Thanks for the compliment but I am not at all a expert but have learned so much being here reading what everyone else has written here and also sadly I am very smart about issues in there gut because poor Boomer had a awful last few years because AGY hid in his gut for over 2 years. I always suspected it but never really knew until finally the vet found a broken rod of it in his poo sample. The crop swab is not bad at all but the crop wash that sometimes they want to do is a not as easy on them. I don't really know what they do in the wash because they took boomer out of the room and did it in the lab and he was never too pleased when he came out. They found the AGY rod in boomers poos. This might not be AGY and could be something else but some of the signs, especially the bubbles in the poos sound like it. That is a sign of distress and upset in his digestive system. I also know almost all the Mickaboo rescue birds that come into my friends house have AGY. I am happy he likes the vinegar because I have heard it is good for them just to keep things good inside. Not all the time but every now and then. It hurt Boomer so that is good it doesn't bother your bird because that means its not something really bad inside his gut that has caused damage. Boomer was always happy and very much spoiled and lived a good long life with us and even though he had major issues his last years he was still happy. When it hurt bad enough that he lost his spunk was when we had him put to sleep. Thankfully he did not get sick until he was almost 10 years old and died when he was almost 13.

My daughters bird had a hard time last winter and was barbing his feathers horribly and she used a UVB And UVA light and he loved to sit under it in the corner of the cage it was in. She turned it on when it was suppose to be light outside and turned it off when it got dark. We think it helped his feathers because they did get better and it is very good for them. Just make sure it does not have any coatings on it at all because some have Teflon coatings.

I do hope you little buddy finds the help he needs soon so he can be happy and healthy for years and years. It is sort of odd he only gets sick when the weather changes and just maybe the light you are going to get will be the magic cure to his sickness. I know the worry that comes when you have a very much loved bird and they are not perfectly healthy, it almost makes us sick with worry.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I completely get what you mean about learning stuff from here. There's so many things I learned after my little budgie got sick, and I really wish I didn't have to search all this up in the first place . This AGY is such a monster. I've heard about crop washes and they sound absolutely terrible. I email the vet and was told that they won't do any tests without the bird present, unfortunately. It's gonna be quite snowy and cold this week, so I'll probably take him when the weather clears up. In the mean time I'm going to do a wet mount fecal test at home. At least I can maybe get an idea of what my poor baby has. He vomited today, sadly, but it's kinda weird. It has been warmer and quite sunny these past few days, and today it was quite cold and cloudy (and there was a lot of snow). As soon as the sun came out, he got completely better! He's actually singing, dancing and bobbing his head beside me right now *knocks on wood*. I bought the thyme but will wait until tomorrow probably ( or the day after if he vomits again tomorrow) to give it to him. I've also heard that anise and turmeric have antifungal properties, so maybe those could be of help as well.

I've read about other birds who benefited from the light as well, so hopefully it will be the miracle cure to his illness. If not, at least I know it should make him a bit happier . The one I saw (hopefully they still have it!) was made specifically for birds. Could it still have Teflon? (I really hope not!)

Thank you so much for the well wishes, I really hope he gets better soon too. I want him to be the healthy litlle birdy he was before. The weather thing has me stumped too (especially today, with how quick the effect was) and I totally agree about being sick with worry. Sometimes I can't sleep because I'm so scared. Hopefully he'll be better soon *crosses fingers* I'm so glad Boomer had a happy life. These poor babies don't deserve to get sick . Quick question, is that Boomer as your profile picture?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Yes, that is Boomer in my daughters shirt. He hung out there almost all day when she was home. I do hope you can get your bird to the vets so they can check him out so he can get better. I always wanted to do a wet mount fecal test at home. Are you going to look at it yourself or take it to the vets office for them to check it out? Boomers vet takes a fecal test of every bird who comes to the vet looking for yeast and other bad things in it. It was great that she worked in a lab and knew what exactly to look for.

That is strange he felt better when the sun came out and you could be onto something with the light and it might just be good for him. Tikki loves his light and the spoiled bird also has a small plastic heater made for birds behind his sleeping perch which he loves to snuggle up against for warmth. I would call the manufacture of the light and ask them if it has pfoa/ptfe in it. They have reports on everything these days and they can tell you if it does or not and besides if it is made for a bird they probably got many calls about it anyways.

I am sorry he threw up today Poor guys belly has to bothering him. If this is AGY I read that lots of people will use "real with the mother in it" apple cider vinegar to treat it so if you might suspect AGY keep putting the vinegar in the water. Boomer had a ulcer in his crop and the vinegar hurt him if I tried to give it to him. Another girl here with a lovebird who had AGY used Citric acid in her water. I never did try anything else because Boomer died many years ago and all the natural cures for things were not like they are today. Today more and more doctors and vets use homeopathy herbs and things to treat animals. Our vet says to give all the birds who comes into her office a tiny dab of organic red palm oil everyday. It is really good for them so of course Tikki gets that too. I hear great things about Turmeric for us humans so it has to be good for birds as well.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Boomer looks absolutely beautiful (his colours match so well!) I looked at the fecal sample myself (I have a microscope that isn't too great, but it has up to 800x magnification so I think it did a decent job) and I'm glad to say that there weren't any horrible AGY rods that I could see *knocks on wood*. I know you said that they can hide though, so I'm not 100% that my little budgie doesn't have AGY (though I took multiple samples (even one that had a bubble) and saw nothing. If he does have anything, the closest thing I can think of is Candida (looks slightly similar to the pictures I've seen online). I'm sure a vet will do a much better job then me though lol. I'm going to do another mount tomorrow as well.

It's weird because the next day he also got "sick" ( as per normal-if it's weather related he always gets sick twice) but thankfully, he only shook his head a bit, bobbed his neck like he was going to bring something up and then sat quietly for a bit and was back to normal after that (lasted no more than 30 minutes). It nice and sunny that morning so maybe that helped? I bought the UV bulb, but now I need to order the lamp for it haha. I'll give the company a call, hopefully it is teflon free. Have you heard of Avian Sun? That the UV bulb I found.

About the Vomiting, it is normal for them to seem alright after a bit? It confuses me so much. I'm obviously glad that he feels better but he seems like a completely different bird when he is sick and from when he is better. And poor Boomer, it's terrible that stuff that might've helped hurt him . I completely agree with homeopathy, I feel like it's so much safer, especially with animals as small as birds. For the apple cider vinegar I use Bragg's (I've heard good things about it) but the citric acid sounds good too, as does the red palm oil. I've also heard of sodium benzoate as well for AGY (someone on another forum suggested it) so I'll look for that. How about probiotics? Could those help? I've heard good things about Avi-culture but I can only find Bene-bac here.

Also, is Tikki your daughter's bird? What kind of bird is he? (Him snuggling against the heater is so cute! I didn't know they made bird heaters )

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Thank goodness you didn't see any AGY rods, this is great! I would look at his poos just like you are doing everyday just to see if you can see the AGY rods. Boomer had a little too much yeast in his poos but not so much that his vet ever worried about it. Have you opened his beak to look inside of it yet? If it is candida you can sometimes she white spiderweb like stuff inside his beak. It is very weird he gets sick when it rains which makes you think it could be some sort of yeast thing happening but you never know. Does you bird throw up after you give him fruit or anything that has sweetness to it? Boomer would get gassy if he ate fruit or things that we ate that had sugars in them. If he ate enough he would throw up. Yeast thrives with sugar so avoid it until you know it is not Candida. Boomers vet gave Boomer some awful medicine trying to help him and she gave me some bene-bac to keep his gut flora up especially after treating him with some of the antibiotics he was on. It has a sweetener in it but she said it was good for him and it didn't seem to make him feel gassy when I did give it to him. I think the ACV is a great thing to give to your bird but give him a break from it for a few days and back on it when he gets more bubbles in his poos.

I looked at the Avian sun lights and could not find anything about them having a coating on them so I would call the company just to make sure.

Boomer was perfectly colored and such a little lover bird. He was our little buddy and we all still miss him because he was one of kind and no bird will ever be like he was. Tikki is my daughters bird and I bird sit him here lots because he can fly and be free here without worry of her cats. She lives within walking distance to me so he comes to visit me often. He is a Pineapple Greencheck Conure and quite the little talker. Her brother in-law bought her the heater last year and it is so awesome and Tikki loves it.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I was very happy to not see any rods too! I do plan on checking frequently, in case any are hiding somewhere (hopefully not!) I have checked his beak and haven't noticed anything *knocks on wood* hopefully I'm looking properly. The rain thing is what stumps me and my family the most. I actually stopped fruit a while back because I was certain that he had candida (this was back in the fall). Stopping all fruits and sugars didn't seems to help; he still vomited very 10-20 days. So I reintroduced fruits and noticed that he was fine after eating them, thankfully. His favourite fruits are Granny Smith apples, though I've heard that their sourness can be good from yeast infections. Maybe that's why he likes them? It's too bad that Boomer couldn't eat any fruits without ill effects . I have stopped fruit again for him though, as I'm trying various herbal remedies at the moment (turmeric, thyme and AVC (all on separate days though so they cannot react with one another). Maybe he can have an apple soon. I picked up the Bene - back yesterday and plan to give it to him tomorrow. Hopefully he'll like it and it'll make him feel good. I actually read a review online for it and someone's snake had chronic vomiting for months (he'd vomit every week) and once he had the Bene-bac he stopped! Maybe my little budgie needs something to help him fight off the bad bacteria. As for the ACV, I usually give it for a week, stop for a week and then continue for a week and so on. I recently heard that ACV works like an antibiotic (I originally thought it was more of a probiotic) and so it kills both good and bad bacteria. Not sure if it's true, but I don't want to kill of any good bacteria, so I'll definetly use it on and off.

I actually had to return the bulb, sadly. It was 26W and all the lamps I found at the store were for 13W. I heard terrible stories about the bulbs shattering over some birds' cages, so I didn't want to risk it. I'm going to look for a lamp that will support the bulb and then rebuy the bulb . Thank you very much for checking about the coating! I'll call them to make sure.

Birds all seem to have their own little personalities and it's so easy to get attached to them. They're all so unique. They remind me of tiny toddlers haha. I just googled Pineapple Greencheek Conures; they're so cute! It's nice that you and your daughter live so close to each other; I'm sure Tikki appreciates it too! I might look into the heater as well. It gets so cold here, maybe my little guy will appreciate having one. I actually switch bedrooms for the winter because of how cold my room gets haha.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

I believe you may be conflating ACV with GSE (grapefruit seed extract). ACV does indeed possess probiotic properties. One of many reasons why it's such an effective tonic for human digestion. GSE does not and if used often should probably be followed up with a probiotic to restore gut flora.

And, for what it's worth, there is growing evidence that budgies do not require UV light to absorb vitamin D.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi gimaal, it's nice to meet you! I had also originally (and from many sources) heard that ACV had probiotic properties. It was recently that I read that it killed good bacteria as well. Maybe the person who wrote that had it wrong? I was quite surprised, as all this time I was giving it thinking it was a kind of probiotic. Maybe the person who wrote that was indeed confused between ACV and GSE. I was planning on giving some GSE a while back, however, I heard it wasn't that safe for birds. Is this true? Or it it something I could potentially use?

As for the UV light, it's great that it may not be essential for budgies! I don't feel as bad for not being able to find a lamp for the bulb I originally purchased then. If that's the case, I may not look into the lamps anymore. Of course when the weather is warm in the summer I take him out to get natural sunlight, it's only the winter months where he doesn't get any.
    Thanks for all your help!

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

I think I know the post to which you refer and, yes, I believe that person was confusing ACV with GSE. Regarding GSE, many have reported success with it, especially for respiratory issues. I have some here but have never used it for treatment. It is generally agreed that a probiotic should be administered after prolonged use of GSE.
    Last edited by gimaal; 02-07-2018 at 03:36 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Our vet gave us some Bene-bac powder whenever we had to use a antibiotic to get the birds gut flora back up to where it is suppose to be. I never tried the GSE either because I was just too afraid to do it. I know just like you all said that lots of people have used it with success but it just scared me to think it might make them sick. I did use it to soak and clean Boomers medicine syringes to make sure they were nice and clean and I still use it to soak my vegetables in to clean them before I cook them.

How has your budgie been Aaron? I do hope he hasn't throw up lately.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi guys! I know it's been a while, but I haven't had much to really say, until now that is. As a heads up this is going to be very long. I finally got a chance to take my little budgie to the vet (I know it's been quite long since I last posted, but the weather only just started to get nice enough for me to feel it safe to take my budgie out). In the meantime, things were going the same way, vomiting every 2 weeks approximately. So the vet did a fecal test andddddd..... it turns out yeast was not the problem, which explains why all the home remedies I tried never worked. The poor little guy has coccidia, and the vet found multiple eggs of the horrible parasite in my budgie's feces. The vet originally prescribed Sulfatrim Suspension (0.3 ml (or cc) every 12 hours for 7 days, by syringe. It was 48mg/ml.) However, as soon as the vet gave it to my budgie, he started vomiting everywhere. So the vet changed it to 0.2 ml (it is now 24mg/ml).

First of all, does the dosage sound proper? I'm asking because to be completely honest, I do not 100% trust this vet. He is not Avian certified, however, I was told that he does indeed have experience with birds and has a large number of avian patients. Some reviews online confirmed this. (I only chose this place because I had heard good reviews and it is close to my house, so I thought the stress would be minimal, especially if I have to go often for tests and stuff.) However, he was quite rough with my budgie, and when I asked about the vomiting, he looked very unsure, almost as if he's never treated a bird that vomits. As this is the main clinical sign of sickness with my budgie, it is truly my main concern (as in I need to treat whatever is directly causing his vomiting). When he gave the medication to my budgie, my poor little guy started making this horrible wheezing sound, and a clicking noise whenever he would breathe. When I asked the vet he didn't look that troubled by this and just said that the house was respiratory related, which leads me to believe that the meds went into his lungs abut maybe? I've heard that birds can aspirate easily right? Furthermore, my bird was extremely stressed during the visit, to the point that I'm not sure if taking him again any time soon is a good idea. Obviously I want nothing more than for him to be completely healthy and happy again, but I don't want anything to happen to him out of sheer stress either .

Also, with the antibiotic, should I be giving a probiotic like Bene-Bac to keep up some good gut flora? If so, how long before/after should I give it to him? And can he eat fruits/veggies during the treatment? I'll ask the vet myself tomorrow, but I wanted some of your opinions too . I've just never had this kind of thing happen and I'm so incredibly worried. Any help would be much appreciated!

Also, i think I know where he caught the parasite from. A while back I bought of a bag of Hagen seeds (which he has always had, and it is still what I buy for him). Normally, it smells like oranges, as there is orange oil in it (as a preservative I think?) and this bag had no such scent. It smelled like nothing really. Anyways, shorty after eating from that bag I noticed he started to vomit, and he had pasting of the vent. I threw out the seeds and got new ones and the problem stopped. Of course, it now occurs every 2-3 weeks, but nothing as serious (knock on wood) as when he ate those (most likely contaminated) seeds.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I didn't want to leave anything out. I really appreciate reading the whole thing and any help!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

There was a big bird seed recall at the beginning of the year that involved Zupreem Fruitblend, Higgins Vitaseed and Lefeber's Nutriberries but this was killing the birds that ate it and not just making them sick. The wild Doves and possibly pigeons around here were getting coccidian and they recommended the people around here not to fill bird bathes to help stop the disease from passing to other birds. It also was spread by feces so I made sure I took off my shoes before I came in the house when I was working out in my yard so it did not spread to Boomer. I saw lots of the poor birds here that looked very sick and actually took one I found in my front yard to a bird rescue because I couldn't just watch it die.

I am happy you found what was wrong with your bird and happy it is now taking the medicine that will cure it. I would be very upset with the way your vet acted when your poor bird was clicking and wheezing after he gave him his medicine. To me he had to have pushed it in way too fast and your bird breathed some of in. I did it to Boomer once and it was horrible but thankfully he stopped clicking in a few hours. I always gave him tiny little sips of the meds he took after that because I thought I actually did something that would kill him. I don't know how much medicine to give him but if I were you I would try to find a real avian vet you could call up to ask them if they think this dosage is the right dose for your bird. Sometimes even vet techs at avian offices will help you with a question. I hope with this medicine your bird will feel better. It may take a long time to really take effect but I know it is treatable. The wildlife rescues were releasing many of the pigeons and doves here that got it after they treated them at the rescue.