where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Rehoming a parrot

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

Question Rehoming a parrot

Hi, I apologize if this turns out to be a long post, but I need some help. I have a roughly 30 year old Red lored Amazon who I have had for 2 years now. Before me she was with one woman and a blue and gold macaw (do not know more specifics on living arrangements) for about 25 years until her owner became ill and couldn't take care of her. Then over the next few years she was in and out of several adopted homes until I adopted her (she's an Amazon and is very loud at times and is a biter when threatened and well she doesn't seem to care for men-excluding my son). Here's my dilemma, my son and I are both allergic to her and I know I need to find her a home but I am afraid to just let someone adopt her from me. She is bonded with me and I worry that she won't get the same type of care. Another hang up is do I find someone who has no birds and can bond with her or do I find someone who has many birds so she can have bird interaction? I found someone who is very interested but this person has 4 or 5 different species of birds and I worry that my bird won't get the attention she gets from me, or possibly worse wont get along with the other birds. But I have also found others who are interested with no birds. What should I be looking for in rehoming a 30 year old, set in her ways Amazon? Also, what could be some critical questions I should be asking the people I talk with?

Thanks for any help

Michelle

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Rehoming a parrot

Hi Michelle, thanks for taking this Amazon in and taking good care of him and I truly am sorry you cannot keep him. I think he might be happy with a family that has no birds. He will get more attention and hopefully be spoiled because he is the only bird. I would stress to the people you give him too that he is really loud and will sometimes bite. Those Amazon bites hurt and can do some damage! I know because my sisters Amazon is a sweet guy but everytime I go to put him back in his cage he bends down and gives me a big bite. Once he clamped on and would not let go but I couldn't get mad at him because he did not want to go into his cage because he is in it almost all the time at my sisters house. If you are really picky about the people who want him and ask them many questions and tell them everything you know about this Amazon you heart will tell you what is right. It has to be so hard on you to rehome it. Have you looked around to see if there are any good bird rescue groups in your area that would take him in. They would be able to send him to a foster home that will hopefully socialize him for his new home once he is ready.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

I'm so sad to hear this - it must be heart breaking.

In terms of questions:
    - I'd want to know what qualifies them to take on such a special bird - experience etc
    - What their routine is like - or more importantly, what the bird's would be like
    - Who their vet is
    - What they'd feed the bird (just to see how it compares to the diet in your home)
    - Whether you can still visit (don't know how bad your allergy is - or if it might settle down)

in terms of other birds - I think I wouldn't look for someone with or without them specifically. I certainly wouldn't rule out an existing bird owner - but I would want to meet their other bird - and check how they get on. For me, if there's another bird involved, it would have to be a staged introduction. AND - I'd want to be sure that bird is healthy - has recently seen a vet, is clear of PBFD etc

This said - do you have a good avian vet? Could you discuss it with them? Maybe they would know someone suitable? I'd imagine most of their regular patients they would be able to know who could take on a bird like this...

But Dea's point is great - there are some brilliant foster homes. Sadly they won't help you though as there's an ocean between you and them... There's a park near me that takes huge amounts of rescues in... and they are great.

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

Thank you both for your replies and after reading them did give me some useful information and I realize I've already been screening for what I'm specifically looking for for my parrot (haven't found that person yet, which is kind of ok). If I can figure out a way to keep her dander down without bathing every day, I may be able to keep the asthma under control and not have to re-home her which would make me very happy. Any tips on that?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

You could consider getting an air purifier or air cleaner, with a filter that you can wash, or get replacement filters. They do help with dust and danced in a home, especially in the room where the bird resides.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrhoffh View Post
    Thank you both for your replies and after reading them did give me some useful information and I realize I've already been screening for what I'm specifically looking for for my parrot (haven't found that person yet, which is kind of ok). If I can figure out a way to keep her dander down without bathing every day, I may be able to keep the asthma under control and not have to re-home her which would make me very happy. Any tips on that?
    I know that many would advice to stay away from honey including vets, but the only safe and universal medicine for birds is RAW HONEY. You can offer as just honey or dip meals into honey. There are no restrictions, unless you see unwanted side effects, but haven't seen any negative ever except all diseases disappear same day or next. Usually bird will feast on honey till 'done' and will get somewhat very happy and high. I recently stopped diarhea of my GreenWing macaw just by letting him inside the honey jar to get better:-). The problem was solved within less than hour after he was 'done'.

Rehoming 30 years old Amazon must be by one who knows how to tame birds and by one who is patient. It can take few months. Bird owner with few more species doesn't sound bad, because birds get social to each other and need not as much attention.
    Birds remove dander during preening and every day washing is not necessary.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

Just to give an update, I decided to get a new air purifier for the room my parrot is located. It has helped immensely in keeping the bird dander/dust out of the air (and in surrounding rooms). It seems to also keep bird dust on surfaces to a minimum which is a huge plus. My avian vet who comes to the house twice a year for bird checkups recommended a Rabbit Air in February when I talked to her about my asthma and that was what I went with and am super happy I got it. So no longer worrying about finding a home for my parrot. Yay!

Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Awesome!!!!!
    Happily owned by Zephyr, Zenith, and Zazu

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Yaaaaay!!! Awesome news!!!!!

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I just wanted to mention that I unfortunately rehomed my birds recently due to asthma. I found out too late that there is a medication that helps a whole lot. My doctor gave me Theophylline and I am now asthma-free. I just got some new birds and I'm doing fine with them.

It might be worth looking into. Ask your doctor about Theophylline. It is a medication derived from the cacao bean - chocolate - would you believe!?!
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am so happy you and your bird can stay together with something as easy as a ait purifier. This is great!!
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads