Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Wing Issue - Advice needed

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ilya
    Thanks

Wing Issue - Advice needed

Hello guys,

My female Cockatiel named Pretty(written Prettie) used plucked her wing feathers when she was alone and her best friend Fookol passed away, may he RIP.
    I got her a new friend and she stopped with the plucking but the recent issue I'm having is ingrown feathers (feather cyst) she had one and I removed it with long sterile tweezers.
    It regrew back and I removed it again but this time the wound was deep and my poor Prettie's bone was showing through the wound covered with a thin layer of flesh. I instantly put kwik-stop styptic powder which has benzocaine to stop the pain.

Unfortunately my family doesn't have enough money to take her to a vet and I only could take Fookol once to the vet before he passed away RIP I loved him and it took away all my the money i saved about $600, the doctor also did some tests.

What should I do about these feather cysts, how can I make them stop? Any supplements that slow down their growth?
    Also does anybody know any avian vets in Texas that might be able to help her at low charge because I really would do anything to help her.

Thanks very much for reading this and any advice or help will be really appreciated!

Picture of her wing
    https://i.imgur.com/GplYp7D.jpg

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Wing Issue - Advice needed

I am sorry, this does look very painful. Please do your research because I heard you are not suppose to use styptic on there skin but since I never really researched it I am not sure if its true. Its good to use on the end of toes or the feathers shafts themselves but not so sure about the skin. For some reason I think it might burn them?? I am sorry you cannot take him to the vets and all I can say is maybe warm water soaks might help him out. Maybe adding a little bit of pure aloe gel from the leaf would help out as well. All of this is a guess and if only you could take him to the vet but I fully understand how the cost of seeing a vet is just too expensive. Just maybe if you called one for advice they could tell you what to use to it least soak the feather with to possibly help it from doing this.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Omg. Poor girl. Are their any rescue centres there? On this side of the pond we have charities who help with vet care. PDSA is the biggest. Maybe there is similar? Or talk to vets. Maybe they will let you pay monthly? Or offer suggestions. Or rescue charities. Even a good breeder might be able to help.

But really, I think help is needed

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ilya
    Thanks

Yes, I started a Gofundme page for her.
    The link for donating to help to treat Prettie's wing is https://www.gofundme.com/prettie

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

I don't mean to be rude - but that seems like a LOT of money. Have you looked around for other vets? I don't really know - it might be that someone stateside is going to tell me this is fine and normal, but it seems high to me.

Far more than my vet charges. Just for example:
    - A few years ago he had pneumonia. Emergency visit, plus treatment, plus few nights in intensive care was a little over 200 I think (in the midlands, so less expensive than London. The entire treatment, which included follow-up with my preferred vet in London, which I think included scans, and ongoing support for MONTHS afterwards and lab tests etc - came in less than 500 total (I'd have to check the insurance claim to be certain)
    - He was in for treatment for something else, and had a broken blood feather (in the wing - EEK!). Had to be knocked out for that as it was one of the big feathers embedded into the bone - that plus the drugs was about 90.

I think your idea is good -but it just seems a lot... maybe if you listed the treatment with the costs broken down, would be easier for people to understand - and therefore contribute?

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Remove Ads