where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Best Seed Mix?

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Best Seed Mix?

Iím wondering what the best companies are for seed mixes? Thanks in advance!
    Happily owned by Zephyr, Zenith, and Zazu

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Best Seed Mix?

My family of birds all eat Volkman seed mixes. Boomer loved the Science Diet Cockatiel with no sunflower seed mix and Tikki likes it as well. Tikki also eats the one for Conures when they are out of the Cockatiel mix. If you want a exotic really good seed mix I highly recommend the Totally Organic Pellets and seeds (TOPS) brand, the Napoleon mix. You can feed it right out of the bag or soak it overnight and then sprout it. Boomer went nuts over it when it was soaked and then ate it a few more days as it sprouted. He loved the pellets and they are made with all human grade foods with none of the crud you find in regular pellets. You can buy both brands on Amazon or if you are lucky a local bird or pet store might have it. Both of them are made in the California valley somewhat close to where I live so it is easy to find Volkman at the local feed stores. The TOPS we can find at the Bird stores down in the valley.

I tried them all really. Goldenfeast has some amazing seed mixes as well but the birds in our family preferred the TOPS brand over all of them. In the last years of Boomers life he ate roudybush pellets because they did not have any added sugars in them and they were easy for him to eat. He had serious digestive and stomach problems and the roudybush crumbles were the only thing he ate when his AGY was acting up. My sisters Amazon is a roudybush and Volkman bird as well. Tikki loves people food, if you are eating it he must have it.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Jen
    Thanks

I was thinking of buying volkmann and I’ll check out TOPS. Thanks so much love.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Volkman is great and is one of the few companies that uses citric acid which is natural to preserve the seed mix. I read all the ingredients on all the food we used for Boomer and now Tikki and if has anything but natural stuff we do not buy it.

TOPS is just pure awesome bird food. There is a company called Goldenfeast that I use to buy Boomer there petite hookbill mix and I kid you not... I use to eat little pieces of it because the smell is so heavenly. Little Boomer would get so mad at me for picking out a few tiny pieces of my favorite nuts and things out of it, bad me!! Our avian vet sells it so it was easy to find and Boomer loved it.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Henry
    Thanks

I may not feed the best

Higgins vitasmart parakeet

And Higgins vitasmart love bird/conure

I'm sure u can guess which ones get which lol

My love bird isn't crazy about it

My budgies love it tho

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Deanna I’ve been looking at Goldenfeast too. I’m just concerned they won’t eat it. They are pretty picky. They eat a few types of veggies daily but that and the seed mix is it. Henry I read that kind on one of the better food lists. I think I’m feeding ok but I’ve been researching and wondering if I should step it up. Since I just poured the last of their foods into their storage containers I thought it might be a good time to see about something better but doesn’t break the bank as well. Practically speaking, if I could feed Goldenfeast I would but I think it may be a bit spendy for three. And of course I feel guilty about saying that. I’m leaning toward volkmann.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

The volkman is great food and I can see why you don't want to get the Goldenfeast. I put it off for a long time and Boomer did like it but he loved the Volkman seed mix. His favorite was the cockatiel no sunflower seed mix. The TOPS seeds were devoured too especially when I soaked them overnight. The pellets have chilis in it and Boomer loved them but sadly when he got his ulcer and AGY it really hurt his "guts".

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Poor guy!!! Appreciate all the input!!

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Hi Jen and everyone, Deanna always makes the Volkman seed mixes sound so yummy and fresh and natural, and it was from her that I decided to try a mix labelled for "cockatiels" for all my birds, as she mentioned her Boomer loved the cockatiel mix from Volkmans, and my birds all seemed really happy when I switched to a cockatiel mix. Being in Australia I am unable to be able to source these American brands which sound so nice and natural! My post will probably be useless since the brands here are probably not available overseas but thought I would write about what I feed the birds too.

Down here, in Tasmania, we are now purchasing a locally made seed mix, from a company called Seedhouse. Most of our birds love it because I think its more fresh, Nala and Iki especially seem to be devouring the hulled oats so much that we now purchase a bulk bag of oats separately. I still buy a small pack of cockatiel seed mix from a company named Trill here from the supermarket, and this brand I think is manufactured somewhere in New South Wales, so probably not as fresh. I used to give it to everyone a lot, but I've now limited giving and buying this product. This is because the Seedhouse brand now seems to be putting lots of safflowers in their mix now, which I was happy to see because my Asha and Ashu love safflowers and I would rather they eat that more than sunflower seeds. The only downside to the seedhouse brand is they put black sunflowers instead of grey ones. Thankfully none of my birds even like the black ones so I pick them out when I get the chance but I'm not t0o fussed if its left inside as I know they dont like it. We also buy small packs of grey sunflower seeds from the supermarket, usually just a supermarket brand one to sometimes add to the seed mixes. The local grey sunflower seed mixes are $99 for 20 kilos. Very overpriced and I'm not sure of the quality as you can't see inside the bags so we pick nice quality ones from the supermarket and get those as its much cheaper than the $99 a kilo!

We also buy honey sticks to treat them sometimes, and usually from the Trill brand as well from the supermarket, again the cockatiel labelled ones, lovebirds seem to love cockatiel foods lol. The ringneck likes honey sticks from a brand called Bird Munchies and same with the conures. But seed mix wise, they are all happy with the Seedhouse one, and I am also pleased especially since they now add more safflower in it.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Jen
    Thanks

That’s great you’ve been able to find something that works for you and your birds!! I appreciate the input. Nice to see you!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am not sure if these are the same as the hulled oats you buy but I think they are, we might call them oat grouts here but they were one of Boomers favorite things in his food and one of the main ingredients of the TOPS Napoleon's soak and seed mix. He also loved the safflower and buckwheat seeds. You should try soaking the hulled oats overnight, rinse them really good and then leave in them bowl overnight with water on them. In the morning rinse them again and pat dry them and give them to your birds. They might just love them. I sure know soaked oat grouts were one of Boomers favorites. That's why he love the TOPS soak and sprout mix so good.

I am happy your found your birds a good seed mix because it is hard to do for lots of people. I live within a 100 miles from California's central valley where many of the bird seed companies I buy from grow or buy the seeds for there mixes. That is why its somewhat easy to find really good bird mixes here. We have a great selection of bird foods here at the bird stores. I think the foods you are getting sounds great Laila and no doubt you are sure feeding your big flock some amazing foods.

Remove Ads