Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Mysterious Illness

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Unhappy Mysterious Illness

Hi everyone,

My family budgie (Archimedes) has been ill for about a month now, and the cause is a mystery. Every couple of days, he becomes lethargic, refuses to eat despite all efforts, and spends most of the day sleeping. Once these days pass, he becomes well again. He starts playing, singing, talking, flying around - as happy as a bird can be. Several days later, he gets sick again, and the cycle continues.

When he first got sick, we took him to an avian vet and spared no expense on his checkups, including x-rays, blood tests, cultures, samples. You name it, we did it. At the end of it, the vet couldn't pinpoint exactly what the cause was, but noticed a slight bump in his throat as a potential cause, citing either goiter or cancer. We were given iodine to administer in his drinking water and instructions to ensure he drank it.

It has been 2 weeks now, and nothing has changed. It's unlikely goiter, but I find it hard to believe that it's cancer either. Why would cancer magically improve for a couple of days then suddenly regress in an endless cycle?

The rest of his test results say that he should be fine. We have taken very good care of him, carefully monitoring his diet, environment, sleeping location, toys/perches/flying room. Physically he looks great. Beautiful colorful feathers, healthy weight, great flyer. During the good days you would swear he was the healthiest, happiest bird...then the bad days come.

Archimedes has been surviving by eating a lot during the good days, and by forced feeding from our local pet store during the bad days. This is both exhausting for us and him, and becoming too expensive. Don't know what else to do. I hope someone here can solve the mystery.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: Mysterious Illness

Hi, and welcome to the community. I am so sorry you are having this problem. Would you please share what diet of seeds and or pellets and other foods he might be eating? When you post that info I will make some comments to you.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

If I were you I would ask the vets if you can take in a sample of his poos on his bad days to see if anything shows up in the poo samples. Lots of things will show up in the poos but not with every sample. Budgies are very susceptible to Avian Gastric Yeast and it is well known to hide and not be in every sample of poo they test. Is he getting the same amount of sleep every night? Did you change his diet or is there something in the house that you are doing only every now and then. Are you using things like candles, air freshners or anything that puts out odors sometimes? Heaters? lots of things put out toxic odors from Telfon coated parts that you cannot smell. PFOA and PTFE (Teflon) is toxic to birds and it is in so many things that people use in there houses.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

His droppings have been tested and showed up clear, and at one point he was left at the hospital for several nights so they would have likely detected AGY.

His diet mainly consists of millet spray and quality pallets recommended to us by the vet, as well as hulled oats. The hulled oats are prepared the night before and refrigerated, washed before being served, and never left out for more than 1-2 hours. In addition to that, there are various vegetables (lettuce, broccoli etc...) and whatever we happen to be eating - egg, toast, rice (we are aware of the foods considered dangerous to his health, so we know not to feed him anything spicy, salty, chocolate, soft drinks etc...).

We were taking him to the vet for regular checkups every 6 months or so, and he appeared to be well nourished and within the healthy weight range. His diet has not been changed significantly prior to becoming sick.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

What have you been feeding? Was their any iodine supplementation prior to recently? (i.e. in the food you use or an iodine block)

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry this is happening to him and really do hope you can figure out what is going on with him. I really hope the thing in his throat does not turn out to be cancer. It is odd that it goes away and comes back a few days later so that was why I mentioned AGY. No doubt they checked his poo samples many times.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 1,053 Posts

Budgies should not be allowed to eat any cabbage family veggies including broccoli, parsley, and kale. They have a phyto chemical in them that cause esophogal tumors in budgies. I had a budgie die of this problem a few years ago. He was eating parsley everyday. I found a website of two vets who wrote this article. My budgie ended up not being able to swallow or drink water and suddenly died.

I recommrnd a seed diet and fresh veggies. I wiuld discontinue the veggies I mentioned and see if you notice any improvement in him. I also recommend a mix of 20% pellets and 80% seed if an owner feeds pellets. Personally I do not feed pellets because budgies are too small to eat them. They also require lots of drinking water, and research documents they can cause neurological problems in budgies.
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-14-2018 at 08:22 PM.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Remove Ads