So after some contemplating I decided to get a Bourke's parrot - I named him Poppy and had him for just over a week now. He's not hand tamed so I've been trying to get him used to my hand, but one day I noticed his vent was a little bit dirty I made the mistake of trying to get him out of the cage to give him a bath, but that just freaked and stressed him out. I left him in his cage and tried misting him a bit later, which he seemed to enjoy!

Skip to today and I notice his vent still looks a bit dirty? I'm not able to get a good look but it's worrying me since I haven't had this problem with my tiels.. Poppy is eating and playing well, I know he's drinking some water (just not sure if he's drinking enough or not). Could this be because of stress/diet? At the moment his diet is just budgie seeds. I am trying to slowly introduce some pellets with the seeds and hopefully some veggies. In the past week and a half he hasn't had any veggies yet, just seeds he poops fine from what I've seen.. no concerning droppings either.

I'm planning to take him to an avian vet after his quarantine period is over but now I'm wondering if I should take him to the vet sooner :0 and would anyone have any tips on cleaning his vent? He has a bird bath in his cage but I dont think he likes it or knows what it is. I can't take him out of his cage without scaring him since he's not completely used to my hand yet, so at the moment I can only mist him. I spray upwards so that the mist falls lightly- I'm not sure if Poppy would be keen on getting his little bum misted lol..