Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help a Newbie!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Question Help a Newbie!

Hi guys.

I have two cockatiels. One of them is a female, and today we get to find out whether the second is a male or female. If it did turn out to be a male, I plan on breeding them semi to quarter-annually and selling them to the pet shop they came from (don't worry, very great people who hand feed and help the birds become socialized). I was wondering if you could keep two birds together, especially if they are a breeding pair (I have heard stories of aggression). Also, what patterns can I expect from my birds if they are even compatible (as in no genetic defects) to each other?

The birds are yellow/white pied with some grey feathering in the tail and the female is a cinnamon pied whiteface I believe.

Thanks everyone!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 1,249 Posts

Re: Help a Newbie!

How old are your birds? I would suggest searching...breeding cockatiels, on the web. There are great articles about breeding on line.

It seems like over the last few years, cockatiel and other bird owners are finding it difficult to set a time for breeding, such as you mentioned above. Many pairs are mating and hen laying eggs the year around, rather than seasonal or a chosen time. My thought is that if you would want to set a schedule as you wrote above, you would need to keep them in separate cages once they have hatched the first clutch. And then, in the time table you mentioned, put them back together for another clutch and hatching. I really doubt you can keep your schedule with them being together in one cage all the time.

Birds are programmed to procreate and hatch babies, by nature, and they always have mating and eggs on their minds.

Go to a website called...The National Cockatiel Society, and you will find great info on mutations of cockatiels. From your descrtipion, I think you could get some beautiful babies.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-27-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

They are very young. 7 weeks and 10 weeks old. I wish to breed them when they are older although I wonder if its okay to have them in the same cage once they are weaned...

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Sure you can have them in the same cage now. Their hormones will not kick in until they are about 6-9 months old. Ideally it is best to breed a pair that are 1 1/2 to 2 years old. They are very young now, and as long as they are not siblings....male/female combination/ now/ then there is no need for two cages.

Go on line and search for...hormonal behavior in cockatiel pairs..when does it begin.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi there,

Turns out that the other bird is a female! Thanks for the help as well. I found out that their egg laying is based on the hours of sunlight and sometimes if you stroke their backs it can activate their hormones. IF they start laying eggs or I see a bump in their back, what should I do for them?

Thanks.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

They are far too young to lay eggs. Their puberty and hormones will most likely begin between 6 months and a year from their hatch date.

If you still do not have a male at that time, single hens can still lay eggs, but if possible you do not want to get that started at all. You can end up with chronic egg layers who lay eggs every 4-5 weeks, and that will ruin their health. I do not recommend using any happy huts or tents you see in the stores, or any cloth items, like towels being put in the cage, even at their young age. These remind all hens of nesting, and you want to keep that off their minds, even now, when they are very young.

And....yes, for hens, no matter the age, only touch them on the top of their head, no other part of their body.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-29-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

OK, thanks. I read up on hormone control. My house is really open. Sunlight will always find a way in. I was wondering if it would be a problem to cover the cage (18x18x50) since it kind of simulates a nest box, and they are prone to night frights.

Remove Ads