Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My baby Lovebird Feather Show some Problem

Brand New Egg
    Name
    PeerGee
    Thanks

My baby Lovebird Feather Show some Problem

Experts Please Guide.
    My Parblue Baby Lovebird (age 3.5 month) is facing feather problem. His Tail and flight feather's are going to disturb from edges. I want to know what kind of disease is this and how to recover my baby bird.

Thanks

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,270 Posts

Re: My baby Lovebird Feather Show some Problem

Hi, and welcome. Your baby lovie is beautiful. I do not think it is a disease. He or she is at the age where they will begin losing some baby feathers. The feathers will fall out, but will be replaced by new ones. What diet do you feed? Feeding fresh green veggies and fruits is a plus, along with a good quality seed.

Take a spray bottle of luke warm water and spritz him a couple of times a day. The skin gets very dry in winter, and while molting. The spritzing will feel great to him and his skin.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

It is hard to see in this picture what is going on here. Are those broken feather shafts without the tiny feathers that are suppose to be on those shafts? Is this bird in a cage with other birds or is it all alone? It does look like they are broken to which I would think is either the baby biting and breaking them off or another bird doing it. If it is the baby it may need to wear a cone until the feathers grow in again. If you can take another picture showing the damage better please do it so we can see it. Lots of misting is great like Ellen said and also giving it a dab of red palm oil or even coconut oil to eat is really good for there feathers and skin.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    PeerGee
    Thanks

Thanks @boomer girl and @maxollie

Overall Condition is

This is some fresh pictures of my bird. This baby has 3 other siblings. All other siblings are good in health and feathers. I am giving vegetables and seeds on daily basis. Feather problem of this bird is start just 10 days before and situation is harsh day by day.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,270 Posts

Awww. Thank you for the pics. That last one is just too cute. Have you seen any of the other birds chasing him, or being aggressive towards him? Have you seen any very, very tiny mites in the cage? Do you see him picking at these feathers alot? The mite problem would affect all of the birds, and usually mites present in birds who may have been in a poor quality aviary and or breeder.

I would suggest trying the palm oil or coconut oil each day. From what I have read of Deannas posts about the oil, she says a pea size amount of oil. You could let him eat off your finger . Persionally, I would mix a very small amount with the seeds in the seed cup, so each bird can get the benefits of the oil.

Try doing a google search for...avian vet online. There are vets on line, but some charge $$$. However, maybe you can at least send a picture and your question.

Keep doing the misting, and watch for any evidence of the other birds picking on those feathers or being aggressive. If you see this behavior from the others you will need to put him in his own cage.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Your lovie is such a cute bird, I just love it!

It really looks like feather barbering. If you google search it and look at the pictures some of the birds look a awful like your bird does. Tikki barbed his flight feathers. He did it only to his wing feathers and in a matter of a month he lost all flight because it was his flight feathers he barbed and lost. It looked like he would over preen them and then they would bother him so he kept doing it and then they fell out. We took him to the vets and they gave him a medicated bath (don't know what this is though) and then told us to give him a dab of organic red palm oil everyday. He happily licked the oil off our finger. We also bought him some fresh aloe leaf and gave him pieces of the inside clear gel in them. Please look at how to cut and clean the aloe because the yellow part inside is not good for people and especially birds. It is the clear jel inside that is good. You also use a little bit of the pure aloe gel and mix it a drop or two in water and mist you bird with it. We fed it to Tikki and he loved it.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    PeerGee
    Thanks

Thanks @maxollie

This baby is already in separate cage from last one week. I already use Coopex (permethrin) on this bird so I think mites is not an issue.
    Please send me the link of Deannas post about oil, so i use this remedy correctly.
    Daily misting is continue, hopping for good result.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    PeerGee
    Thanks

Thanks @boomer girl

I just google "feather barbering" and found much related to my bird, Now going to study in detail, if you found any information please inform me.
    You are right the oil treatment is essential for this problem. I will do.
    I have lots of aloe vera plants in my house. I think Aloe Vera will also useful in my case.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Just make sure you only give her the inside clear part of the Aloe. We bought a massive Aloe leaf and I peeled it with a knife and washed all the yellow juice inside the leaf off of it. I read it can make people and especially birds sick if they eat the yellow juice below the skin of the Aloe leaf.

We just bought organic red palm oil but if you can't find that organic coconut oil will be ok. Just put a pea sized dab of the oil on your finger or her perch if she don't like fingers so she can eat it. Tikki loves the red palm oil and gobbled it right up. Its great for dogs and cats too. Tikki stopped barbering his feathers once he stopped molting and also started getting a good 8 hours of sleep in a quiet dark room.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    PeerGee
    Thanks

Thanks @boomer girl

I Just start Organic Coconut Oil. I give only two drops via dropper into her mouth initially.
    And shower 1 tea spoon Aloe Vera gel mixed with 500 ml water. Lets hope it will work.
    Thanks for your concern, I will inform u about progress.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I hope it helps as well. I think misting fresh water on her feathers is a good idea as well.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    PeerGee
    Thanks

Hi, @boomer girl

Situation is much better with shower of (aloe vera + water) and coconut oil with seed mix.

Thanks for cooperation.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Wow! What a difference. Its feathers look so much better and I am surprised how fast they grew back. Both of your birds are very pretty lovebirds.

Remove Ads