where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Conure keeps eating?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kira-Lily Marshall
    Thanks

Conure keeps eating?

Hiya. I'm new to the forum so not sure if I'm doing things right LOL.

I've recently got myself a young green cheeked conure, his name is Marley and he's around 16 weeks old, I've only had him for 5 days. I've kitted out his cage with a few toys but he seems to be disinterested in most of them. Today I tried letting him out of his cage for the first time, he flew around for a few minutes but very soon went back into his cage.

He doesn't seem to have the curiosity that I hear most conures have, instead all he seems to do is eat! I don't think I'm doing anything wrong but I've only ever had lovebirds & cockatiels before and they were already hand-tamed by the time I'd got them, whereas Marley has not been tamed yet.

He also hasn't been interested in any of the fruits or vegetables I offer him, instead he's just eating the bird feed mix I got from the pet shop for him.

Is this normal? Should I try to stop this? I don't want him to get overweight but I want him to feel comfortable & cared for.

Any advice? Thanks

Kira-Lily

P.s I use 'him' as we have assumed he is male, he's not been DNA checked so may be either - not sure if there is much difference but figured best to point it out!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Conure keeps eating?

Hi, and welcome to you and Marley. Eating will not hurt him, in fact, seed mixes have extra vitamins and minerals to help him grow strong. He probably was sharing seeds with alot of birds, and now, he can eat anytime and how ever nuch he wants. He is doing great for you only having him 5 days. Do not force him out of cage. You can leave the cage door ooen at times of your choice, and put a plate of freshly chopped fine veggies with some seeds sprinkled over the top, on the cage floor, and also place one on the outside top of the cage. That will perk his interest to come out.

It takes time and patience for him to learn to eat fresh veggies and fruits. We have a member here, Jen, who has a lovebird and two budgies. She has bern feeding her birds a chop and mash that she created and they love it. Here is the title of that thread.

In the General Bird Talk section, look for this thread....Official Chop Recipe Fid approved.

I think you are doing great with him. We have several conure owners or caregivers that post here, so I am sure they will give you some information too.
    Last edited by maxollie; 03-16-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I too think he is doing great and was very impressed to read he actually flew back in his cage. I would be thrilled if a bird flew back in because it's a huge struggle to get them back in here.

Keep feeding all the fresh foods and also the seed mix. Serve the fresh foods different ways. Chopped up in tiny pieces, whole and maybe a little warmed up. In time he will figure out its good food and it. Tikki is a pineapple green cheek and he eats everything we give him. Its shocking because Boomer was super picky eating fresh foods. Tikki loves fresh corn and diced up apples so those are a good one to try. Once your bird eats a few bites of fresh foods he will be more eager to try different foods. I got my lovebird to eat fresh foods by soaking a tiny amount of his seed mix overnight. Rinse it and dry it off and give it to him and he should eat it. He may shake his head because its wet but hopefully he will continue to eat it. It worked for Boomer and after that he was more willing to eat fresh foods.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kira-Lily Marshall
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi, and welcome to you and Marley. Eating will not hurt him, in fact, seed mixes have extra vitamins and minerals to help him grow strong. He probably was sharing seeds with alot of birds, and now, he can eat anytime and how ever nuch he wants. He is doing great for you only having him 5 days. Do not force him out of cage. You can leave the cage door ooen at times of your choice, and put a plate of freshly chopped fine veggies with some seeds sprinkled over the top, on the cage floor, and also place one on the outside top of the cage. That will perk his interest to come out.

It takes time and patience for him to learn to eat fresh veggies and fruits. We have a member here, Jen, who has a lovebird and two budgies. She has bern feeding her birds a chop and mash that she created and they love it. Here is the title of that thread.

In the General Bird Talk section, look for this thread....Official Chop Recipe Fid approved.

I think you are doing great with him. We have several conure owners or caregivers that post here, so I am sure they will give you some information too.
    Thank you for this! It's good to know he's not doing too much damage by eating too much. I managed to get him to share some cucumber with me a couple of times now although he refuses to eat it out of my hand just yet! He's also really taken to a seed bell I put in the cage when I first got him so at least a little variation there.

Thanks for the Chop recipe! Definitely will give that a go! Good thing about it as well is that I'm vegetarian so could easily make a big batch for myself & take his portions out before seasoning lol.

Thanks again

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kira-Lily Marshall
    Thanks

Thank you for this I was quite impressed too! Although I do worry it may have had a lot to do with the fact he was quite scared in the room.

I was wondering, would it be beneficial to remove the seed mix from his cage for a couple of hours each day & replace it with fresh food, or will that just turn him against me?

I'll give apples a go! He seems to like cucumber and he's give lettuce a go so maybe the more watery veg are the way to go with him

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

There is no reason why you could not remove the seed mix for awhile. Use a seed cup and fill with any chopped veggies of your choice. And, you sure could use that mix for your vegan diet. Sprinkle a few of the seeds and pellets over the top of the cup. You also can take a small plate of the mix and place on the cage floor, and also, one on the outside top of the cage when he has been out of the cage, and it is time for him to go back inside. That food being there, and him flying to it, makes it much easier to get him back to the cage. You also can use millet sprigs, or millet in a cup, or on a plate. The fresh greens do have more water content, so do not be alarmed if the droppings are looser.

He is doing great!! And your bond with him is developing well. We will watch for updates. Incidentally, I have a sweet blue budgie named Marlee, and a sweet yellow budgie named Muffin.
    Last edited by maxollie; 03-21-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I would recommend leaving the seed in the cage and keep giving the veggies and fruits. He most likely just needs time to adjust to his new surroundings before he tries some new and different food that he's never seen before. But, like everyone else is saying, that's great that he goes back to his cage!! He knows his home and he feels very comfortable with the way you set it up! Good job!!
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Remove Ads