Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help my budgies are bleeding

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Help my budgies are bleeding

I was putting them to sleep and I got my broom and started sweeping the floor and then they started flying wildly! One of them has a line under their eye and the other is bleeding near the feathers! I NEED HELP! I don't know what to do! I told my dad about it and he just said to put them asleep. Gushes of blood aren't coming out, but I'm pretty sure the bleeding is continuing! I'm freaking out! Are they going to die?!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    JimJam
    Thanks

Re: Help my budgies are bleeding

Did you notice the budgies hit anything whilst they were flying? Try and wash them off in the shower or by another method. I know you are desperate for an answer but i'm going to need more detail. Like which feathers on the body are bleeding, and how close is the line to the eye. If you start noticing the budgies becoming much less active or sitting at the bottom of the cage fluffed up, get them to an avian vet ASAP. Just try not to panic, or take every odd sign as "They're going to die!". I was the same.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Well one budgie has gotten blood near the wing area. I'm scared he broke a blood wing! I don't think they have started moulding yet. My other budgie is not injured as much, but I haven't checked him yet. It's just under his eyes. Like, not too close to his eyes, just a scratch. He's had a similar injury to this, so I think he'll be alright. My other one however, is the one I'm freaking out about. They still seem active and are talking to each other on the top perch of their cage. I asked my dad if he could take them to a vet but he said 'Why should I take them to a vet? They seem fine.' so now I'm worried.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Sounds like the budgie banged into something, as he is still able to chat with the other bird. However, a budgie does not have a lot of blood, so it could be serious. An Avian Vet could tell what is wrong for sure. Perhaps post a photo of the budgie problem here, if it is safe to do it now with your budgie injury. Your father does not sound like he cares at all about the birds injury. Make up your own mind, do not seek his opinion.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 1,255 Posts

Cover the cage with a light weight blanket, with front side of cage open in daytime. Budgies can get very skiddish and scared of things, even when they are in the cage.

For example, when I get boxes shipped to me from a retail on line seller, before I open them, I cover my budgies cages all four sides so they cannot see me opening the boxes, because they will get very frightened and fly all over the cage, if they see the boxes or me opening them.

Anytime you are doing something like sweeping, including running a vaccum sweeper, keep them in the cage, and cover the cage.

And for stopping blood loss from the broken feathers, or any other injury that is bleeding, use white flour, and pat it on the spot that is bleeding. That should stop the bleeding.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Birdmanca View Post
    Perhaps post a photo of the budgie problem here, if it is safe to do it now with your budgie injury.
    I don't know how to upload picture here. He's doing fine actually. But I'm still concerned. The blood is dried up and it looks like he can still fly (he flies down when he wants to eat), which is a relief. I guess he only cut himself a little. My friend offered me that her dad would take my budgies to a vet to get them checked up, but that would be too much to ask and I'm sure my dad wouldn't like that.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    JimJam
    Thanks

That's great! I would still keep an eye on him, just because when my I cut my budgie's nail too short, he bled a bit overnight (even after putting flour on), but I would try and wash off the dried blood. If he freaks out or won't let you, then don't try to push him. Just keep him calm, and he should recover.

Remove Ads