where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help?! My bird is too timid!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Rana
    Thanks

Help?! My bird is too timid!

Hi guys! My budgie is extremely cautious, and it's driving me crazy. I know most budgies are naturally scared, but that's not what I mean. He is tame enough to go on my shoulder and finger, and he's practicing the target training trick. First off, he was raised to only eat the manufactured seeds that pet stores sell. He has no idea what veggies and fruits are, and no matter what I do, he will not eat them! I've tried everything. I put it in the middle of his food for a long time, I tried hand feeding it, I even tried eating it in front of him and sharing it with him. Not only that, but most birds go crazy for spray millet. I bought some, and he ate some at first. I took it out for a long time, and used it only for training. Soon however, he decided he didn't like it and never wanted to eat it. What's strange is that he now prefers his normal seed as treats! I target trained him fully on his food as treats. Another problem is bathing. I saw so many videos of bugies bathing, and yet, my budgie will not bathe. I tried so many methods! He will not! I took him to the bathroom sink yesterday, and he did not want to go to the water. Eventually, I got him to go in, but he hated it. I stopped. A lot of people say encourage them by adding a leaf of lettuce or a favorite toy or veggie into the water, but that won't work for me. He has no favorite veggie, and no favorite toy. That brings me to the next topic: toys... He is a single budgie with a big cage, 3 perches, a bird tent, and two ladders leading to the bird tent. Around the bird tent is a handmade toy. He only goes on it if I put him there, but shows no interest in it whatsoever. A few weeks ago, he got a bird toy, and I hung it around the bird tent. He avoids it at all costs. One time he got scared and went on the toy, but he is still scared. I feel like he is generally scared of anything, and I don't think he understands the purpose of a toy. He doesn't seem as curious as a budgie should be. He doesn't ever want to explore something new. I know a lot of people will tell me that giving him time will help, but I already tried it. He isn't that bird that will try to fly to me because he loves me, but he is pretty tame. I also heard that for your bird to be tame, they won't poop everywhere? Everytime I take him out, I have to keep an eye out for all the poop there is. Any suggestions on this problem? If you have any help whatsoever, please don't hesitate!!!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 1,252 Posts

Re: Help?! My bird is too timid!

First of all, budgies have no set time or place to poop. It just happens. That is natural. Secondly, you just happen to have a budgie that is content to be more quiet. All birds have their own personality like we do. If it were me, I would not expect him or her to be anything more or less than he is. It could be he was bullied or frightened in his aviary, either in the pet shop or at the breeders.

Time and patience are on your side. Do not expect so much of him. He is just a little bird that is learning to live in a brand new home, and has no friends. He left them in his prior home, to come to live with you. Just let him take as much time as he needs. I am sure he misses his friends and parents.

Not all budgies like bathing. Take a spritz bottle, fill with luke warm water, and spray lightly. Google search...birdy mash, birdy bread, and birdy chopped vegetable recipes for budgies.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-03-2018 at 05:04 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Rana
    Thanks

Thanks! He doesn't seem scared of me anymore, and has no problem sitting on me or training, but he still seems really wary of new things. I'm trying to slowly introduce a new toy... As for the spray bottle, I've tried it before, and he completely hates it.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 1,252 Posts

Some budgies do get scared of any new toys, or changes in their cage setup, as well as moving the cage. I have homed budgies for many years, and have found that some just do not like to bathe. That really is not a problem if they do not want to bathe, because they are always preening and cleaning their feathers with their beak. So, I would not pursue the bathing for now. And if he has a favorite toy, just let him have that one for now. As he gets older, and is with you for a few months, I think many of his fears will subside.

Remove Ads