where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: MY RESCUE BUDGIE WILLIE....Had a rough morning

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lynn
    Thanks

Red face MY RESCUE BUDGIE WILLIE....Had a rough morning

It has been awhile since here but been so busy. I have a rescue budgie a green yellow i thought was a boy and named Willie, well 2 yrs and I know it is girl now and WILAMENIA still is my Willie. She was a rescue when i went to breeder to get a parakeet and was my first after many years since i had one as a child. She was off to side in awful cage that was too big in spacing and when saw her the breeder told me that one was going to be put down. When I asked why I was told birth defects, yet she was 8 wks old, so why did breeder wait?? Well, she realized after it got older. Wings not shaped right so would not fly, tail not formed right and only 3 toes on left foot. I said "i want it" and took the bird and she thought i was crazy. Sorry but all living things matter. So Willie came to me 2 yr ago, well now i have 7 parakeets including Willie, 2 cockatiels 1 is rescue too, a conure, a Quaker and an Indian Ring neck so i am now a BIRD crazy lady.
    Well Willie being "challenged" with mobility and defects gets picked on now and then and mom works from home and "reprimands" the culprits and they stop. This AM I got in here to feed the flock and found BLOOD all over when I opened cages all go out and then saw blood. I use alot of food bowls so no one is left out. I will never use the ones with the little wire hooks again. It was sideways like someone had hit it. Willie was on the floor wobbling around outside the cage playing on the gym thing on the floor. She had blood on her chest and Right foot, which is her good foot remember and a front toe was bent funny. I put the powder on her to stop bleeding and called vet. Thankfully mine is exotic as well as "regular" vet and they are open 7 days week.
    Got her there wrapped in towel and some people would say a parakeet who is deformed not worth it. Sorry to say I have penny jar i put change in for my flock needs. Vet said end of digit fractured and I was worried that wire had poked hole in belly since alot of blood there but nope no wound just "toe blood". Offered to wrap but told me probably loose it later, meaning the tip. I told vet to just take tip now, give antibiotics/pain med and off we go. He agreed and she is home in little vet visit cage i have, no perch and the bandage keeps coming off. Had her pain med and antibiotic for the day and snoozing in quiet other room so not with the loud flock. Think needs the hush and quiet to recoup from chaos and trauma, ME TOO. Was afraid loose her, my little fighter. While in vet and in washcloth humming to her i just saw love in eye, rubbed her little cheeks and thought no way could i kill an animal unless in pain and suffering with no hope....some people amaze me....

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: MY RESCUE BUDGIE WILLIE....Had a rough morning

You have a kind loving heart and I am happy she has you to help her out. I hope she recovers soon and has no lasting effects of all of this.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,147 Posts

Oh, Lynn, what a stressful situation that happened to you and your sweet Willie. Thankfully you have the exotic vet, 24\7. I am.super happy for you she did not lose a foot or toes. What a brave and courgeous little budgie she is. There are accidents that due happen to our babies now and then. I admire you for rushing her to exotic.

One other item I will never use is the metal holder that comes in the box with a cuttlebone. I had a budgie cut his foot/toe on one several years ago. Thankfully, using flour stopped the bleeding, and I used white vinegar and warm water to keep it clean, and it did heal.

Congrats on your growing flock. You have a variety of beautiful parrots to keep you busy. Please give us an update on Willie, at your convenience.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lynn
    Thanks

Willie is fabulous. She is a spunky little thing. Her toe tip is clotted where they took it off and I am putting antibiotic ointment on it. Still in vet visit, little cage and she is calling out to flock. I gave her oral liquid antibiotic, pain medication and fresh food/water/veg this AM and trimmed her other toes to assure no pointy nails get cause on stuff. Little thing wanted out so was wobbling around on bed top with me and chirping. Then son came in after school and was holding and cooing to her. Big 18 yr old loving on little deformed baby just warms my heart.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,147 Posts

Awww!!! How special!! Budgies and other parrots who have injuries, or are special needs birds are very courageous and brave. I think Willie is showing that nothing will stop her, and how neat your son is giving her plenty of attention as well.

Sounds to me like she is a real trooper, even taking her meds!!!! Yaaaay!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am very happy she is getting better and how sweet your son loves and cuddles with her. Special needs birds seem to be very sweet loving birds who live life like there is nothing wrong with them.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads