where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My budgie hates me

Budgie Owner Brand New Egg ImAStubbyBudgie's Avatar
    Name
    Kelsey
    Thanks

Question My budgie hates me

So I have had my budgie, Lemon, for about 4 months now. He seems to hate me. At first when we got him, we had a small cage and after a week or so in that cage, he was on my finger and loved me. About one month after that, I bought him a new cage that was way bigger, but as we moved him from the small cage to the new cage, he jumped off my finger onto the floor. We caught him about a minute after and put him in the big cage, and he has hated me since. I try to train him when I have free time from school, but he hates me. Any advice?
    Last edited by ImAStubbyBudgie; 04-21-2018 at 12:26 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,261 Posts

Re: My budgie hates me

First of all your budgie does not hate you. Somewhere down the line he was frightened. It could have been the floor incident, or, suddenly being put in a much bigger cage. My suggestion is to cover his cage each day, for awhile, with a light weight cover, such as a sheet, or a couple of bath towels. Leave the front side of the cage open. At night, cover all sides, and leave a night light in the room. Leave about 4 inches of the bottom of the front side cover open, so he can see the night light and not be frightened.

Sit by his cage and talk softly to him. Play soft music on a CD player or radio for him. Eat a snack while sitting there, and offer him a treat, or his seed mix while you are eating.

My budgie, Muffin is now 6 years old. When I first got him, he was totally afraid of everything. I suspect he probably was bullied by bigger and older budgies. I had to just let him be alone, and not try handling him for almost 9 months. He finally learned he did not have to be afraid anymore. He is my best friend since then. He even talks.

Time and patience are on your side. Covering him will make him feel more secure. Be gentle and kind to him. Do not raise your voice or become angry. All birds pick up our emotions, and respond accordingly.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-21-2018 at 02:36 PM.

Budgie Owner Brand New Egg ImAStubbyBudgie's Avatar
    Name
    Kelsey
    Thanks

Thanks for your help. I will start covering him more now. Should I just keep training him the way I am or should I start something new? I haven’t really gotten anywhere with my budgie in training

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,261 Posts

Go to YouTube and search for...training budgies, or...training baby budgies. There are some neat videos there. You really can keep experimenting different training methods. Once you have fully gained trust, they usually will try different things.

Remove Ads