Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Tail bobbing and green droppings?!?!?!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Rana
    Thanks

Question Tail bobbing and green droppings?!?!?!!

Hi everyone! So first off, I noticed my budgie tail bobs slightly all the time in time with his breathing, but he still seems normal. My budgie isn't a very active one to begin with, and he's pretty timid. He's hand tamed and all, but he's still extremely shy of anything new, and would rather spend time in his cage rather than with me. I know quantity equals quality, but I've had him for 2 months, and he hand- tamed pretty quickly, so I've been spending plenty of time with him, and we've even been doing some training (for some reason, he prefers his food over millet as a treat). I don't know what to do. He usually will sit on the same perch and move if he wants food or water. He chirps a lot in the morning, and he'll even sing along to songs with me. Normal. But he has toys, but he's scared of the new one I got, so I've been trying to introduce it. He has an old toy that he's not scared of, but he just doesn't seem interested. He seems pretty healthy except for the tail bobbing though. Not to mention his droppings. They seem normal enough, except that before they dry, they are green. I read online that it means that he might not be eating enough. I think this could be possible since any time he hears a noise while he's eating, he will go back to his perch. As I said before, very timid. Sometimes I'll feed him off my finger, but I can't do that forever. He's probably not getting the nutrients he needs seeing as he won't eat anything but his seed mix (he won't trust anything new). He won't even take a bath! I'm worried about his health, but I was also wondering what to do about his timidness. He's comfortable with staying with me or in my room, so I don't think his fear is the problem. Any advice would be great! Thank you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,147 Posts

Re: Tail bobbing and green droppings?!?!?!!

All birds have their own personality. Some are shy and more timid. Have you had a dna test to confirm you have a boy? Girls are docile and more quiet. It could be you have a girl. Not all budgies like to take baths. That is no problem. They are always preening their feathers, and are very clean birds without a bath.

Budgies droppings vary from time to time. Try feeding some fresh leaf lettuce, shredded, or chopped fine. Leaf lettuce has lots of water content, and that may help the poops to become green and white in color. The white part is from the urinates.

What seed mix do you feed? Any time you see tail bobbing, it is a good idea to call an avian vet and report it. It often is a red flag for possible illness. With the droppings you describe, the two could be related. So I encourage you to make that call.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-21-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Rana
    Thanks

Hi there! Thanks for the help! I didn't get him tested actually. He can be noisy in the morning, but he's pretty shy around me sometimes. He can bite if I touch his wings or something though. As for the lettuce, I've tried millions of ways to get him to eat something other than seeds, but he won't. He's used to eating the seeds. Sometimes he'll let me put different food in his mouth, but he'll just spit it out. I've tried presenting millions of foods in millions of ways, but he won't budge. Do you maybe have any suggestions, and some ways to get him to play with me? Thanks!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,147 Posts

If you have a petshop that sells birdy gyms, which basically are small perches put together, and then a wooden bottom is attached, I would suggest you buy one for him. You also can get them on line. They are like an activity center, and you also can put seed and water cups on the bottom, and also could put some finely chopped veggies on a small plate to place on the bottom. I am thinking he would love a gym, and you could place it so that you can sit by him, and talk and play with him. I think this would be a good way to gain more trust with him.

It takes time for them to learn to eat fresh veggies. The best approach is to feed them every day in small amounts. You also could look for dehydrated veggies in the food store. They are crunchy to eat, and he might like them.

Remove Ads