Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Rehoming update

Name
    Julie
    Thanks

Thumbs down Rehoming update

Well guys I talked with my mum regarding the problems I am having to find the wee one a new home. She is willing to take him in for a month when I move away. If I cant find him a home by that time I've given her my blessing to have him put to sleep. As my mum and dad tend to head away to take care of grand children they wouldn't be able to look after him more than one month.

I hate that it's come down to this but it's the only option left open to me and I don't have the heart to put him to sleep myself.
    RIP Twitter may your song fill the heavens forever

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Rehoming update

This is just awful you cannot find him a home. I would think it would be easy but I guess not
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Julie
    Thanks

I know the girl that offered to take him in has just informed me that she isn't able to because she now has too many birds, so it is looking more likely that the only path open is to put a healthy bird to sleep witch in its self breaks my heart. I am starting to give up an may just take him to the vet next week and get it over with.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

My heart hurt for you and hope you can figure out something.

Name
    Julie
    Thanks

Thanks boomer girl so do I, I love my little guy right now he is hopping between his perches and cheeping away always looking right at me when he sings. My friends think he sounds like a machine gun when he sings it's kinda funny but I can see where they are coming from. I don't want to lose him as i love the little guy.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

My heart aches for both of you. Please don't give up on him and keep looking. Hang up signs at pet stores, ask vets in your area and go to places where older people live and post signs in the community centers there. I just can't even imagine thinking of you having to put him to sleep.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Maybe the vet can take the bird. I would hope that a legitimate vet would NEVER put a healthy animal to sleep.
    And, veterinarians know a lot of people. The vet has a far better chance of rehoming your bird. Ask the vet about that before you request euthanasia - PLEASE!
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Name
    Julie
    Thanks

Desert sadly the vets where I live only take in cats or dogs as they are not an avian vet. There doesn't seem to be an avian vet in my home town and i've phoned around six different vets when I first got my bird, The one i'm going with is Vets4Pets but sadly they do not take in animals at all but it's where my little guy is registered.

In saying that I do have some good news a friend of mine who has ten budgies said she may be able to take him off my hands even though she has ten birds with another three eggs to hatch she is thinking about it atm I will just be giving my bird to her as I rather he is in a good home and is with someone that loves animals she will also keep me up dated with photos and such.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

This is great news and I really do hope she takes him.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Hi Julie, I saw your thread and wanted to say I'm so sorry that it has been hard to find a home for your canary and it must be heartbreaking to think about the only option being putting him down. If you were near me or I near you, I would have taken him. I ended up with two conures at the beginning of this year in a sort of similar situation, well my partner was just going to visit the person we buy millet from that day and she was giving away many baby birds due to an emergency and begged him to take these older conures as she knew if she gave them to breeders that they would separate them for breeding, so they just popped up here and we already had 10 birds I am really happy to hear that your friend with budgies would possibly take him and I really really hope that she does take him, especially if she loves animals a lot, I really hope she takes him as it would only be a one time thing and he would be really happy surrounded by many budgies too. Canaries are so cute and remind me of sparrows for some reason, I think the eyes maybe, but I love hearing them sing when I'm near a pet shop.

Name
    Julie
    Thanks

I hope so also as I don't want to have to send him to join his mate twitter in bird heaven. I've had this wee guy since he a cute bundle of fluff and love him so much, it brakes my heart I cant take him with me when I move but there is two cats and a snake in my fellas house and well one cat is very smart indeed. I hope she will take him on as he loves singing as I type this he is singing away at me he wakes up around 6:30 am when the room starts to get lighter and will sing as soon as you come into the room. If my firend does take him in she said she would upload videos and images to Facebook so I can see how he is doing.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I hope she takes him.

Remove Ads