Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My budgie has pneumonia, she was fine few days ago and then she

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Junior
    Thanks

My budgie has pneumonia, she was fine few days ago and then she

started to deteriorate. She started clinging to the cages wall, I looked it up online and majority of people said it was normal. There were no signs of disease, she wasn't stationary, she'd cling for like an hour and be back to normal jumping around the cage etc, so I didn't think much of it. Fast forward to today, woke up and I found her at the bottom of the cage fluffed up, eyes close, tail up bobbing, and having trouble moving. She isn't hand reared, she'd bite if given the opportunity, so when I went to open the cage she immediately came towards me, I legit cried. She's 11 years old. I should've taken her to the vet earlier ....She started treatment today Does anyone here know the survival rate, she was prescribed Nystatin, Enrofloxacin Liquid, and 4 sessions of Nebulization.
    Last edited by JustAPleb; 04-24-2018 at 09:51 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: My budgie has pneumonia, she was fine few days ago and then she

I am so sorry this has happened. You are to be commended for keeping her alive and well for 11 years. For your excellent care I would say she was healthy, even if this suddenly happened. Did the vet say what might cause her to get pneumonia.

I would say it is difficult to know her chances of survival right now, however she appears to have had good health, which is a real plus. Also, having a strong bond with her, and her always feeling your love for her is a huge plus. In this age and day, there are many good medications available for bird illness. I will keep her in my prayers for complete healing. I know it is so heartbreaking for you. I am sending you hugs!!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry she is sick and hopefully she is strong enough to survive this. Medicine can do amazing things if the illness is caught in time so if she is strong and not too sick she will survive. Hugs to you. I know it's hard on us seeing our birds sick.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Junior
    Thanks

Thank you both for the kind words, today I took her to the vet for some x-rays, and a nebulization sesh. Confirmed Pneumonia, and nothing else wrong with her other than fluid in her lungs. All that's left is for her body to fight off the infection. She's still tail bobbing/eyes closed standing still. But she has regained some strength and is eating/drinking/moving on her own. That's a big difference from yesterday morning where she couldn't even move her legs. I know it takes like 72+ hours for the antibiotics to kick in, staying up all night to observe her, and tomorrow morning to the vet again for another nebulization sesh.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

You're doing everything you can and your last report seems positive. We're all pulling for both of you.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

This is so sad and scary. I am happy she seems a little better today. I know your thoughts and worries you are feeling seeing her sick and it's a very scary thing to know they are so sick. Hugs to you and hopefully each day she keeps getting better.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Aiden
    Thanks

Wow.. hope all goes well, GoodLuck! <3

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Junior
    Thanks

Hello, she's still sick 5 days into antibiotics slowly recovering though. Do you guys think I'll cause any harm to her if I try to bath her in some warm water? The antibiotics sometimes drip down her neck area, and it leaves her feathers stiff. The vet said to use a damp towel, I tried but I don't want to put her under unnecessary stres. Her personality has changed as well, she used to be very aggressive even when she was sick, now she fears me :/. Thanks in advance

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

It is common for her to fear you, because having to take meds is very difficult for them. Having to be held to get the meds into them is very traumatic. She will come back to her previous behavior when she no longer takes the meds, and hopefully is going to be completely healed.

If it were me I would not give any baths until she is all healed. You also could use a piece of soft paper towel, or even a piece of old sheet cut up, as a cloth. Do not used any oils or soaps on the cloth. Just plain water.

We will watch for updates.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

Yes, I agree with maxollie. Hold off a while for any bathing. The important thing is continued improvement. Her old behavior patterns will follow. Do keep us posted.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry she is still not better but it will take awhile for her air sacs to clear up. Is she still having to go to the vet for nebulization? If so they can clean her up there. I agree a bath might not be good for her now.

Keep her nice and warm if you already are not doing that and try to make sure she is still eating and drinking.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Junior
    Thanks

I haven't seen her drink, but she's eating a lot. She mainly eats millet, she'll run through like 2 branches a day. She will only eat normal seeds if I physically put them in front of her with a spoon. She still seems sick, any foods you guys would suggest to aid in her recovery. I asked the vet but he said the antibiotics should be enough. Her vent is always dirty as well, will I hurt her in anyway if I try to clean her. I looked it up online, but I got scared so I just left it like that. Thanks

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Boomer was a very sick bird his last 3 years and when he was not feeling good he would eat spray millet only for week after week. His vet told me it was OK but to keep offering him other food too. Some days he wouldn't want to eat any food so I would put a small bowl of food in my palm while he sat on my fingers. He would eat the seeds that way just like you bird is eating his seeds in his bowl. Whatever it takes to get them to eat is good for them. If you can easily wash his rear I would do it. I never had to do this so I have no suggestions on how to do it. Has the vet listened to your birds air sacs lately? Hopefully they are sounding better. The vet is the only one who understands what is happening inside him so ask the vet any and every question you have. I use to call the vet tech lots about my questions and she would talk to the vet and then call me back with the answers. I lived a hour away from the vet so it was easier on Boomer to not go to the office all the time so the calls were just like a checkup without stressing sick Boomer with the long drive. He still went to see the vet lots but not for the little questions.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Sometimes some tepid warm water will work to clean the bum. Use a piece of fine cloth such as an old sheet or bath towel, or perhaps a piece of paper towel. I think the meds are provably making her poop more, to help get the infection out of her.

Deanna has had tons of experience with vets with her Boomer, so she knows all about bird illness and will have good info on treatment as well as bird behavior. The only limit to cleaning the bum area would be no oils or soaps of any kind, in my view.

I am happy for you she is eating. Millet has lots of moisture, and is good nutrition. It could also be making the poos loose.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

Good that's she's eating. The dirty bum is likely caused by the antibiotics which have an effect on the gut flora used for digestion. When the course of the meds is done you might want to consider a probiotic. ACV (unfiltered apple cider vinegar with 'the mother') also has probiotic properties and can be added to her water, 1 teaspoon per 16oz of water when you finish the meds. My buds get it all the time...and so do I!

Remove Ads