Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My budgie has pneumonia, she was fine few days ago and then she

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Junior
    Thanks

Re: My budgie has pneumonia, she was fine few days ago and then she

Thanks for the suggestion, going to try it out. She's slowly recovering still noticeably sick. Now every time I go to give her antibiotics I am nearly choking her to death, she has started to regurgitate the medicine, the vet said it was normal and it's due to the taste. If she isn't fully recovered 1-2 weeks I'm taking her to another avian vet for a second opinion. I'm taking her in this weekend for another nebulization session and a check up. Thanks

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Junior
    Thanks

Yesterday her condition took a dive, her legs gave out she's having trouble moving around. She's also a little over 13 years old, I contacted her original owner, he said he got her early 2005. Vet gave me two options either continue antibiotics/nebulization and hope for a recovery, or have her put down to cease her suffering. I'm too much of a coward to have her killed, might seem selfish but I can't bring myself to do it. Right now I'm spraying electrolytes in her millet, and placing her in a steamed room. What do you guys think the best course of action should be? I know it's my decision but I'm emotionally drained, I've spent almost a grand already in vet bills and got nowhere. I just don't know what else to do. Any suggestions? or possible medication/alternative healing I can look into? Thanks

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am very sorry to hear that she lost feeling in her legs and that you have this horrible decision to make about what to do. If you are not going to have her put to sleep all you can do is keep her warm and comfortable and if she is not drinking that much you can drip a drop of water on the top of her beak to make sure she is staying hydrated. It is a very hard and sad decision to have them put to sleep and sometimes you just cant do it. I understand. We put the decision off for a very long time to have Boomer to sleep. I had to make that awful decision to have Boomer put down and it was the hardest decision in my life and also the saddest thing we ever had to do. He fought hard for life his last two years and had many ups and downs and I could see he was losing the battle and needed to be put to sleep gently so he could find his peace in a place that had to be better then living in pain and in fear like he was the days before we had to put to sleep. I could not be there and thankfully my husband and daughter were there to hold him and say goodbye to him. To me it was a release of the pain and no doubt fear he felt being so sick. I look back on it and wished I did stay with him but you cannot change the past. If you look into your girls eyes you will know when that time is right.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Junior
    Thanks

Taking her to be put down today, just now her neck started twisting, and it has remained in that position. Sadly her body couldn't fight off the infection, but I'm glad she at least lived a long life. Thanks everyone for taking time to respond to my questions.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry that your sweet lovebird could not fight off the infection. I am also very sorry you had to go through the painful day you are having today with seeing her just get worse and now having to have her put to sleep. I feel your pain and wished somehow it didn't have to be so sad in the end to have them put to sleep. In time it does get better but the pain you feel when you lose them is so hard especially when you are the one who decided it was best to have them put to sleep. Big hugs and lots of love to you and we all here know that horrible feeling of losing a loved bird.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,147 Posts

I too am so sorry for you that this is happening. I commend you and admire you for trying every thing you could to save her. And you were an awesome caregiver to have a budgie live all those years.We are here for you and offer our support in anyway we can, to help ease your pain.

Fledgeling
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

When they are on the floor of the cage in that condition it is a life or death emergency. They can pass very fast.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

You did everything you could and you clearly have given her a rich, long and happy life.

Remove Ads