where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Good medium sized parrot for apartment living - looking for advice

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Robert
    Thanks

Good medium sized parrot for apartment living - looking for advice

I'm planning on moving into an apartment in the near future and would like to buy a medium sized parrot when the time is right. I've owned several budgies since I was a little kid and feel like I'm ready to step up to a somewhat bigger bird. Ideally I'd get a sun conure, but I've heard that they are REALLY loud and can get you into trouble if you live in an apartment, so assuming that a sun conure would be a bad choice, I'm trying to find out what would be a good species for me. I just stopped by an exotic birds store in my hometown, and they said that Senegal parrots, caiques and even small Amazon parrots are good choices for people who live in apartments.

I'm looking to own a medium sized parrot that has some bright green on him, that's not loud but still playful and sociable and active enough who will let me tickle his belly and will nibble and kiss me. I am self-employed and work from home, so hanging out with my parrot a few hours a day won't be a problem. I'm open to conures, bigger parakeets, senegals, caiques, lorikeets, etc. I'm also open to advice on where to find the right parrot once I choose the right species (I live in the Los Angeles area).
    Last edited by beachside87; 04-25-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Good medium sized parrot for apartment living - looking for advice

Amazon's are very loud birds when the flock call and can really get loud when they are hormonal as well. Green cheek conures are fairly quite but not that big of a bird.

If I were you I would look into a bird rescue in your area to adopt one of there birds. They have great foster birds that they can tell you all about or you can maybe even foster a bird to see if it will work out before you officially adopt it.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Robert
    Thanks

Yeah I was thinking along the lines of a green cheek conure, a Senegal parrot or maybe another type of conure that is bright green but not loud like sun conures. A species around 10-12 inches long would be perfect.

How about a ringneck parakeet? I know they're a little bigger, but they look really pretty. Are they good apartment birds? Do ringnecks like to be scratched, tickled and kissed?

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

A ringneck needs a lot of attention. And, they 'bluff', which scares some people. The bluffing is only a way the ringnecks play or say they like your company. But it takes getting used to. I loved my ringneck. He's pictured in my avatar with a water bottle cap on his head.
    And, ringnecks are great talkers!! If you can spend the time needed to get a ringneck tame, and if you can gain an understanding of their behavior, they're great birds.

I personally would recommend a cockatiel. They're very social birds and they're good talkers. They love affection. And, they're perfect for apartment living.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Remove Ads