Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: HELP! 7 month old budgie laid eggs!!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Aiden
    Thanks

Smile HELP! 7 month old budgie laid eggs!!!

Posting again as no answer before. ;C
    Hello. My 8 month old budgie has laid 6 eggs so far.
    Is she too young?
    I have bred budgies before and did not expect this 8 month old budgie to breed.
    I feed the budgie Celery, Strawberries, Apple, Cuttlebone, iodine block, Seed and egg food mix, i would call this a very good diet.
    I have candled the egg and all are fertile.
    The first eggs was laid on the 17th, second on the 18th, third on the 20th, fourth on 22nd, fifth on the 24th, and sixith on the 26th (today).
    Will all eggs be fed for properly? will everything go fine with such a young, first time mother?
    I am willing to step in and hand feed but do you guys think i will have to ?
    Should i buy a brooder, hand feeding formula and syringes now ?
    If i hand feed, should i use a spoon or a syringe?
    Sorry for asking too many questions but i am kind of worried..
    Can someone please list the correct way to hand feed a baby budgie ?
    Thanks for reading my thread, hopefully someone can help me.
    Thanks again and have a wonderful day, Kind Regards,
    Aiden.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,109 Times in 1,108 Posts

Re: HELP! 7 month old budgie laid eggs!!!

Hi, and welcome to the community. Does this hen have a nest box, or what kind of nest does she have? Is she in a cage with other budgies? Does she have a mate, so you know the budgie dad? I think you have a good chance the eggs will hatch. They have been eating a great diet, and it is apparent that she has good calcium content in her body, because she has laid all those eggs and did not become egg bound. That is a real plus. Keep giving plenty of the cuttlebone.

If there are other budgies close by her cage, or are in her cage, more than likely her hormones were stimulated at a very young age, even though she is only 8 months old, and therefore she has laid the eggs.

Here are some thoughts and opinions.

She and her mate need to be placed in a separate cage, and you need to purchase a wooden nest box, if you do not have one. Put it inside the cage with the pair, and put the eggs in the box. She has laid the eggs every other day which is normal I think she will adapt well to the box. Do not put any nesting material in the box. The hen will perch tiny pieces of wood from the inside center of the box, and use those shavings as protection for the eggs and the babies. You should not see the male in the Cage until the eggs hatch. Once the first egg hatches the male will go into the box and regurgitate his seeds to the hen. She then will feed the babies.

It is common for hens to lay 5-7-9 eggs. If all of them hatch you may have to handfeed, but usually the male does a great job providing the food for mom. He also helps feed the babies if it is necessary.

It is very important you use the wooden box. Happy huts, or tents, if she laid her eggs in either will never work.

The diet you are feeding is good. I would continue to feed the egg food until the eggs all hatch, because the hen needs protein along with plenty of cuttlebone and fresh green veggies, while she is nesting.

The faster you can set the separate cage up, and put them in it, along with the box and the eggs, the better.

Go on YouTube and search for....hand feeding newly hatched baby budgies. Also, search on line for...handfeeding baby budgies. You can learn a lot on line about it. Hopefully, you will not have to handfeeding but will be prepared to do so, if need be.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-26-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Aiden
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi, and welcome to the community. Does this hen have a nest box, or what kind of nest does she have? Is she in a cage with other budgies? Does she have a mate, so you know the budgie dad? I think you have a good chance the eggs will hatch. They have been eating a great diet, and it is apparent that she has good calcium content in her body, because she has laid all those eggs and did not become egg bound. That is a real plus. Keep giving plenty of the cuttlebone.

If there are other budgies close by her cage, or are in her cage, more than likely her hormones were stimulated at a very young age, even though she is only 8 months old, and therefore she has laid the eggs.

Here are some thoughts and opinions.

She and her mate need to be placed in a separate cage, and you need to purchase a wooden nest box, if you do not have one. Put it inside the cage with the pair, and put the eggs in the box. She has laid the eggs every other day which is normal I think she will adapt well to the box. Do not put any nesting material in the box. The hen will perch tiny pieces of wood from the inside center of the box, and use those shavings as protection for the eggs and the babies. You should not see the male in the Cage until the eggs hatch. Once the first egg hatches the male will go into the box and regurgitate his seeds to the hen. She then will feed the babies.

It is common for hens to lay 5-7-9 eggs. If all of them hatch you may have to handfeed, but usually the male does a great job providing the food for mom. He also helps feed the babies if it is necessary.

It is very important you use the wooden box. Happy huts, or tents, if she laid her eggs in either will never work.

The diet you are feeding is good. I would continue to feed the egg food until the eggs all hatch, because the hen needs protein along with plenty of cuttlebone and fresh green veggies, while she is nesting.

The faster you can set the separate cage up, and put them in it, along with the box and the eggs, the better.

Go on YouTube and search for....hand feeding newly hatched baby budgies. Also, search on line for...handfeeding baby budgies. You can learn a lot on line about it. Hopefully, you will not have to handfeeding but will be prepared to do so, if need be.
    Hello, Nice too meet you! ;D
    The 8 month old budgie is only actually 6 MONTHS !!! ;c
    I asked my breeder (my uncle) to confirm the age and he told me her hatch date was October the first!
    This is too young and i am really starting to get worried ! ;c
    The hen has a nest box now and is incubating the eggs. The male is helping incubate the eggs but i only see him feeding the hen about 2 times a day.
    The hen has had a HUGE MONSTER poo so im assuming she is going to be laying more eggs!!! ;C My uncle said if she lays more than 7 eggs i will need to hand feed about 2 or foster some eggs
    My uncle has breeding pair with eggs currently and said i can either foster some eggs or hand feed. Since i want to keep the budgies im going to go with hand feeding..
    Do you recommend this ?
    I am only 14 therefore i have alot of school work but my mother said she will feed the budgies while im at school so i dont think that will be too much of a problem.
    Thanks for responding please help as fast as possible.
    Kind Regards, Aiden.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Aiden
    Thanks

Oh, i just caught them mating again, definitely another egg coming.. Not sure what i can do please help.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

At this point in time, do not worry. She is able to lay the eggs, which is a real plus. Also, she is in the box. That too is a positive. You may not see her do so, but she will be out of box eating drinking, and pooping sometime in a 24 hour period. As I shared, even if she is only 6 months old, she has now begun mating and laying her eggs. There is simp!y no way to stop her. Mother nature is working.

Keep feeding her a good diet, let the pair be alone, doing their work, do not constantly be watching them, or interacting with them, because they do not like to have their nest box, or nest disturbed, and you run the risk of them abandoning the nest, or breaking the eggs. Do not keep peeking into the box.

The first egg should hatch about 21 days after being laid, and each egg after that in two days. We have many days as yet before we get to that stage. So right now, we will just be patient, not worry, and take a day at a time. The hen KNOWS what she is doing. Trust mother nature ...she will help 100%. It is far too early to be talking about fostering or handfeeding.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-26-2018 at 01:38 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Aiden
    Thanks

Okay! Thanks soo much.
    Just one more thing...
    I have a little budgie about 4/5 months old, i dont know what gender it is but it has a disease where it doesn't have any flight feathers or tail feathers.
    Me and my mother adopted him but we have no where to put him so we put him in with the breeding pair.
    But the breeding pair keep attacking him.. we dont have a spear cage but have ordered one (this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323215533161)
    So would it be fine if i keep these three budgies together?
    The one without feathers is pretty weak and the female and male dont allow him any where near the box so im assuming it should be good. The new cage will be here by 2-3 days so i will separate them as soon as possible.
    Also the male has a yellow head, blue chest and yellow/black wings with green under the wings whilst the mother is fully white with a tint of light blue
    What do you think the babies would look like ?
    I am super exited and thanks for all the help ;D <3

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You need to get the third budgie out of their cage pronto. Because the other two could get very mean to it and hurt it badly. See if you can go to the pet store and buy a small travel cage to keep the third budgie in until the one you ordered gets here.

Right now, it is too soon to know what the babies might look like.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Aiden
    Thanks

Okay, thanks so much i will buy a small cage asap
    Thanks, have a nice day <3

Remove Ads