where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help with infertile Egg laying

Name
    Mango
    Thanks

Exclamation Help with infertile Egg laying

Hi!
    My name is Jessica and I own a hand tamed Peach-faced lovebird she is about 10 months old close to the year and her name is Mango. It is my first time having a bird which makes it difficult for to me to understand what is happening to her.
    She laid her first infertile egg two days ago but i noticed she has a bump in her belly which makes me think she is ready to lay another one. I noticed her today more tired than usually she went close to the window to get some sun and she will close her eyes, also i saw her today spitting clear liquid which im thinking it was water. However she is eating and drinking water and even flying, but I want to take the proper care for her so she wont suffer egg binding. What should I do to help her? How many eggs is she supposed to lay? and when is it correct for me to remove her nest box?
    Thank You

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

Re: Help with infertile Egg laying

Hi,
    the best would be an avian vet. Generally they have between 3 and 5 eggs. You can remove the nestbox after the last egg is laid (count 4 days in a row without new egg).
    You can find in market liquid formula which contain a high quantity of calcium.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jessicayanez View Post
    Hi!
    My name is Jessica and I own a hand tamed Peach-faced lovebird she is about 10 months old close to the year and her name is Mango. It is my first time having a bird which makes it difficult for to me to understand what is happening to her.
    She laid her first infertile egg two days ago but i noticed she has a bump in her belly which makes me think she is ready to lay another one. I noticed her today more tired than usually she went close to the window to get some sun and she will close her eyes, also i saw her today spitting clear liquid which im thinking it was water. However she is eating and drinking water and even flying, but I want to take the proper care for her so she wont suffer egg binding. What should I do to help her? How many eggs is she supposed to lay? and when is it correct for me to remove her nest box?
    Thank You
    She needs calcium and maybe some mix of vitamins you can get in vet and provide her warm place.
    It doesnt have to be egg binding, she may has lower calcium level or other elements in blood. But have an eye on her and visit avian vet.

One of my bird also had same symphtoms as yours and afer getting her vitamins and turning on the heat lamp next day she was like new bird and laid another egg with no problems.

My lovebirds usually lay 3-5 eggs and I think the best moment to remove nest box is right after she will abandon eggs. Let her sit on eggs for awhile since when you will remove nest box and eggs too soon she may lay eggs after too short period of time.
    Last edited by DarvinLovebird; 05-09-2018 at 04:21 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the community. Since this is her first time laying eggs, I agree it is a good idea to have an Avian vet do a wellness check Spitting out or up water, in my view is a red flag, as well as laying eggs already. 10 months old is very young, and at that age, her reproductive organs are not as yet completely developed or matured, so she may show some behaviors that would not normally occur with mature and older hens.

Be sure to have a cuttlebone in her cage all of the time. Also, as Stephane shared, you can get liquid calcium, or powder at a pet shop. But we never want to give too much calcium to them either. So, this is another important discussion you need to have with the vet, along with discussing diet.

We never want to encourage a single hen to nest. And to put a nest box in her cage now, is not a good idea at all. The less comfort she has setting on the eggs is best because, if you allow her the nest box, it will start a pattern of her laying every few weeks, and that will ruin her health. Egg laying is very stressful for hens. If you do not feed pellets, and feed seeds only, you can get a bottle of birdy vitamins at the pet shop, and mix about 2-3 drops into her seed cup mix, about once every two weeks. If on pellets, do not give vitamins.

Put the eggs she lays in one corner of the cage bottom. Being so young, she may lay eggs off the perch that may break. Be sure to clean all raw egg off the cage floor, so she does not get salmonella poisoning. The eggs need to remain in the cage with her for about 25 days, or until she no longer pays attention to them or sets on them.

If you see her setting on the cage floor, straining or having any trouble laying her eggs, rush her to the vet, because she could be egg bound, or, an egg can break inside of her.

Feed plenty of fresh green veggies and fruits everyday. Do not feed soft foods like breads, or cooked veggies. Give her at least 9-10 hours of sleep each night.

Finally, if there are any bells on her toys, remove them. And do not put any cozy huts or tents in her cage. The soft foods and toy accessories with bells and the tents encourage egg laying and nesting .

These suggestions, hopefully, will help to prevent her from laying eggs all of the time. We will welcome updates anytime.
    Last edited by maxollie; 05-09-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Hi Jessica and welcome to the forums. I have had the exact same experience as you, as I also had female lovebirds who laid eggs without a male. one was less than a year old, possibly about 10 months old as well when she first started laying and the other was over a year old. The older one, I thought her bonded friend was male so I gave her a nesting box, but after two clutches her eggs never hatched so I believe it was two females. I removed the nestbox when she lost interest in her second clutch of eggs, and thats when I knew she had abandoned the eggs, she was out of the box more, having baths and trying to get her friend to mate with her again. After I removed the box, she did lay one more egg on the cage floor, but since then nothing. She is now in a cage alone as her and her friend got into a fight and the other one got injured, and I think she still tries to make nests near her perches but hasn't laid an egg since. It has been more than a year.

The 10 month old lovebird, who is now about a year and a half old, laid her first egg at roughly 10 months old and I initially thought she was a male, her bonded friend is DNA tested as a female, and they started mating and laid eggs after we made the mistake of putting a happy hut inside to "keep them warm in winter". we waited for her to abandon her eggs and didnt see any signs of abandoning so after over a month we just decided to take the whole hut out and redesign their cage. Turned out she had laid about 8 eggs in total so I think she was in the middle of her second clutch. This was also a year ago, and although we've caught them mating from time to time since then, she didnt lay any eggs again, until about two weeks ago, when she laid one.

Everyone has given you great advice, mine didnt spit out any water or liquids so if you have an avian vet nearby then if possible take her to the vet to have that checked out. Ellen, has given you great advice, and has helped me out a lot with trying to control egg laying. Provide cuttlebone with has calcium. And something that probably helped me stop the egg laying for a year was to "think like a female bird". Before buying any toys for them, think about if it looks like a place where they can lay eggs and make a nest. This might help control the egg laying. Whilst mine have bonded friends that they mated with to lay eggs, females can lay eggs even when they are on their own too.

If you need further information, you can look at my past threads on here regarding Ashu and Kovu, my lovebirds that laid eggs and see what people have advised and written.

Please keep us updated and I really really hope little Mango is ok!

Name
    Mango
    Thanks

HI,
    Thank You so much for all the replies it helped me so much to understand her! Mango has been doing great. I tried to give her boiled eggs but she didn't like it and refuse to eat them, so i gave her some arugula and loved it and she is doing very well. She only laid 2 eggs and 18 days have passed and i haven't seen another one, but today i noticed that her droppings are really big again and I am afraid that she is trying to lay another egg. Yesterday i tried to remove her nest and place her eggs on the cage and she freaked out and i kept trying to tell her where i placed them but she did not like that. I dont know what else to do? should i just remove her nest?
    Thank You

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Take a pen and mark a small X on each of her current eggs. I think you probably need to leave her with her nest and eggs for about 4-5 more days. That will put the days to 23, which should be about the number of days that it takes for the eggs to hatch. Then, remove the eggs and the nest. Yes, she probably will not like it, but rearrange the inside of her cage, and change out some of her toys for new ones. If you have any happy huts or cozy huts in the cage, remove them immediately and also remove any bells or anything shiny on her toys. These can get hormones going big time.

Then, if she does lay more eggs while still in the nest, you will know which ones to keep...those unmarked...and on the 23rd day remove the nest and only two marked eggs. Then place any new eggs on the cage floor corner, and start counting 23 days all over again.

Also, keep her nighttime sleep hours at about 9-10, and do not feed soft foods, including eggs, or egg powders or egg ingredients that might be in a seed mix. Feeding eggs also encourages hormones. I have repeated some info from my prior post, because, in my view, it is very important.
    Last edited by maxollie; 05-23-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

We will welcome your updates anytime.

Name
    Mango
    Thanks

Hi
    Great news I removed her nest and right after she lost complete interest for the eggs and she didn't lay another egg. She's back to normal I rearranged her cage and removed all toys that will get her hormones going. I need to find her toys that keep her entertained because shes back to refusing to go inside her cage. Thank you so much for all the replies it helped me a lot.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yaaaay! That is great news!!!!!!!

Remove Ads