where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Should I get my Cockateil a friend

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bre
    Thanks

Should I get my Cockateil a friend

Should I get Samson a friend to help with his constant loud bird calls? Samson is a little over a year old and a cockateil. Little background. I have him in a very large cage with lots of toys and perches to keep his mind stimulated. Hes very bonded to me and loves my attention. I will take him out of his cage a few hours and instantly he will start screaming for attention again once I put him back. Sadly he has heard the smoke alarm go off and sounds just as high pitched as the alarm and will do this noise non stop for hours. I have even tried putting a blanket over his cage when he does this. I have tried ignoring him and going to him when he makes pretty noises to encourage that behavior instead for attention. Nothing works. Would getting him a friend help him not be so attention staraved? Hes driving my husband crazy. I can put up with him since I love him but I feel bad for my husband. Hes always been his attentioned starved no matter how many hours hes out a day with us. Any suggestions?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 1,255 Posts

Re: Should I get my Cockateil a friend

There would be no 100% guarantee that he will stop the noise completely, because most all caged parrots, no matter the species, even some females, consider us to be their mate. And it is just a normal response that happens all of the time with some males for them to be screaming and flock calling. With Sampson, it may help somewhat to find him a mate, but I think only if you get a female. If he can bond with her, he will put more of his attention on her. But, since you are very bonded to him, I think he still will be flock calling you, but maybe not so much, and the screaming might stop, or at least decrease somewhat.

As you know, along with a female comes the possibility of egg laying and babies. I think if you were to get a male, he would learn every last sound from Sampson, and then you will have two screaming and very noisy males. So, that probably is not the answer. But considering to get a female is an option.

It is a difficult journey for sure. I hope this info is of some help to you!
    Last edited by maxollie; 05-12-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bre
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    There would be no 100% guarantee that he will stop the noise completely, because most all caged parrots, no matter the species, even some females, consider us to be their mate. And it is just a normal response that happens all of the time with some males for them to be screaming and flock calling. With Sampson, it may help somewhat to find him a mate, but I think only if you get a female. If he can bond with her, he will put more of his attention on her. But, since you are very bonded to him, I think he still will be flock calling you, but maybe not so much, and the screaming might stop, or at least decrease somewhat.

As you know, along with a female comes the possibility of egg laying and babies. I think if you were to get a male, he would learn every last sound from Sampson, and then you will have two screaming and very noisy males. So, that probably is not the answer. But considering to get a female is an option.

It is a difficult journey for sure. I hope this info is of some help to you!

Thank you I really appreciate it. I would not want to get a female by the off chance they bred since I would have no real way to find the babies homes nor want to mess with that mess. Nor would I want to get another male if he may turn into Samson x2 in the noise department. Tough stuff. I was reading that maybe he might be under stimulated. Apparently I should be switching his toys out and around maybe once a week. He has lots of shredable and shinny toys plus chew toys but no foraging toys. I need to get him a few good foraging toys and a skewer to put fresh fruit and veggies from what I was reading. Maybe this combination may help. Side note Samson is very picky and doesnt like much nor will try new things food wise most of the time. Do you think a foraging toys and skewer with goodies will even work with him?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 1,255 Posts

Sure, give them a try. And also, if there are any bells, or mirrors, on any of his cage toys, remove both from the toy. Shiny stuff also might give him a hormone kick. Quite honestly, I think he is over stimulated. What seed and or pellet mix do you feed? Is there any egg in the seed, or spirulina in the mix? Both tend to uptake hormones. Also, no soft foods should be fed. Such as cooked foods, and proteins should be fed sparingly. Check the ingredients in the seeds or pellets. Pellets have lots of soy in them, and soy too can uptake hormones.
    Last edited by maxollie; 05-14-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

What does your bird weigh?
    How do the feathers look? Are they smoothly snugging the body, or are they kind of 'fluffy'?
    How are the eyes? Do they look clear and bright?

You can tell a lot from doing a well-bird checkup yourself. I don't just accept that constant loud calls is attention-seeking without ruling out everything else that I can. Ellen is putting you on the right track by recommending that you check the diet. Are you feeding any fresh fruits and veggies?

In my opinion, constant screaming is not typical of cockatiels if they're contented and healthy.

In response to your question, I'd recommend an avian vet visit before considering getting another bird.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Remove Ads