where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Afraid male budgie and biting female budgie

Brand New Egg
    Name
    PT mom
    Thanks

Post Afraid male budgie and biting female budgie

Hello! Thanks for adding so soon. I am new to parakeets and I have male budgie for 3 weeks and female one for 2 weeks.
    Male one is just scared of human and when I let him out he hid on the hungers both time and gone missing few hours lol
    Only thing he let me is eating out of my hands. He used to let me scratch him when he was sleepy, but lately he just shows his back
    or scratching himself(he is moulting) and ignoring. He got really thinner but he eats good and poop is good as well.They were both about
    2 months from breeders.

Other female budgie was really tame and she was on my shoulder or finger long time for first 2 days but since a day I put her on a cage
    and was working a while in a house, she won't stay on my shoulder anymore and just chilling on a cage or computer screen and if I put
    a finger she just bites me(also everyone)Is this from moulting or just what she is? I want them both tame, but it's so hard especially
    for male one. When I was like 10 years old I had a hand tame Japanese budgie my grandma gave me,and he has been tame and speaking a lot
    until he passed away.

They both aren't completely tame so they aren't in same room right now.
    Any advice will be appreciated thanks!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Afraid male budgie and biting female budgie

Welcome to the forum. I think maybe they are settling in and also maybe missing there cage mates and the breeder who raised them. I never owned buddies but do no that most birds can be bribed with there favorite foods. A girl here used spray Millet to bribe her budgies to her. Sweet talk works as well. I feel they may decide to like you again once they fully accept there new home and you they will become friendly again.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    PT mom
    Thanks

boomer girl,

Thank you for a comment. I know I need to spend more time with male one.He likes millet but not enough to step up but I will keep trying
    Lately he is being sneaky to get out of a cage.I watch him and let him explore but should I wait until he feel comfortable with me?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the community. Since you have only had them for a short period of time, I would not be too concerned right now. In my view, I would not attempt to touch them, or try to get them stepping up, etc., for awhile longer. I would wait until both are in the same room, together. If they will have a separate cage then, set the cages fairly close together. Did the breeder do a DNA testing on them, so you know definitely they are a pair?

I would sit by each cage, and talk softly to each one. Eat a snack while setting with them, and also, play some soft music on a CD player or radio, for both of them, each day.

If you let them settle in for about 10 days, and do not attempt to touch them, or allow them to be out of cage, and do not force them to step up, I think you will see a big difference in them. And by then the quarantine time will be over.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    PT mom
    Thanks

maxollie,

Thanks for a comment. I put them in a same room once and when I let female one out, she didn’t want to leave top of his cage.
    So I am worried they both would be interested in only birds. I see people needed the help on Budgie forum, they ended up both untamed. They didn’t do DNA test but pictures from nostrils they probably are male(so purple)and female.( I added photos in album)I asked in Facebook page, too.

They both get music every day and they chirp. Not to get Budgie out of the cage is difficult especially female one as she wants to be out all day but I would try.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Both of those mutation colors are difficult to sex. It appears to me the beautiful light blue and white one is quite young because it still has black bars on top of head. Some folks say if there are white rings around the nostrils, that signals female. But being so young I would not rely on that statement at this time. In the first picture of your album, the first yellow budgie has a crusty brown colored cere, and that would signal an older budgje of about 9-12 months old, or older, in my view, is now into hormones. The second yellow budgje picture does not show that color cere. Are both yellow budgie pics the same budgje?

Pictures can be deceiving because of the way the camera operates as to colors. So, right now, I would not be able to confirm their sex.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    PT mom
    Thanks

I added a few photos.
    White one was born on March5. Is she recessive pied?However I sometimes can see
    gray iris ring.And her cere is pale blue color though it is still early to tell.

I was told yellow male(I am almost positive) looks older by other people, too.
    Now he looks very adult face and iris ring is almost white. Yes, they both are same
    budgie. He got really thinner and sharp looking probably from stress...