Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Slightly Worried

Brand New Egg SpookieTheParakeet's Avatar
    Thanks

Slightly Worried

So I've been wondering what's going on with my parakeet..and I'm really worried. She has been having a very large amount of waste almost every time she goes to the bathroom. Some times it's so big I can't even believe it came from her! I dont know if it's just me making myself more worried but sometimes she looks likes she is breathing harder and it looks like she has a bump by her vent, like instead of it being flat, it is the same length by her stomach. I've also noticed she's losing feathers by her vent. Another thing she does is goes to the bottom of the cage(she did this even when I got her as a young parakeet, like three months old)and if I try to get her she becomes super aggressive and bites me. She sometimes goes in her food bowl and pushes everything out. Now she just bites me if I put my hand near her. She doesnt really poo much except for when it's those gigantic ones. I've had her since November and im really worried. I dont know we're my sweet loving budgie went. I really need help.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Slightly Worried

She might be ready to lay eggs. I have read that the things she doing are signs of getting ready to lay a egg. Others here will know more then I do.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Thanks

So it's normal for them to lay eggs without a male? And she's okay?

Thanks

It's normal that female bird lay eggs without male.
    If she is eating and drinking like before, doesn't sit fluffed and look generally sick then it's fine. She will lay eggs soon and is trying to find perfect spot to do that. Probably it will be bottom of her cage.

Dont bother and have an eye on her. I bet she will lay first egg very soon.

Keep us posted!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,147 Posts

In my view, it is very important that you keep a good eye on her, and especially when you see her sitting on the cage floor. Sometimes they cannot push the egg out. This is called egg binding, and the bird can die, if this happens, without the help of an avian or other vet. This can especially happen to new egg layers, who usually are quite young.

Be sure to give her a cuttlebone, which is important because when hens lay eggs, they need plenty of calcium in their body, to be able to make the shell hard, so they can push the egg out. The egg could also break inside of her, which will and can cause a bacterial infection, which will require meds from a vet.

What diet and seeds does she eat? There are many single hens in cages these days, who do lay eggs. They do not have any male birds in the home at all.
    Last edited by maxollie; 05-25-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks

She has three eggs so far and shes totally fine so far. Yay! And she is still active, gets up to eat and drink and everything. Shes doing so good and Im so happy. She has many different foods she eats, she has oats, pellets and many more but at the moment I do not know what they are called because there is so many more different seeds she has. Millet for treats, a mineral cube, and cuddle bone. When she sits up she isnt fluffed up, only when she sits on her eggs she fluffs up.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Wow. So she was ready to lay eggs. It least you bow know what was going on with her. You can also scrape a little bit of the cuttlebone into some of her food, it is a great source of calcium.

I am happy she is doing so good laying the eggs. It sounds like she has a great diet as well. Good job making sure she has a good diet.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpookieTheParakeet View Post
    She has three eggs so far and shes totally fine so far. Yay! And she is still active, gets up to eat and drink and everything. Shes doing so good and Im so happy. She has many different foods she eats, she has oats, pellets and many more but at the moment I do not know what they are called because there is so many more different seeds she has. Millet for treats, a mineral cube, and cuddle bone. When she sits up she isnt fluffed up, only when she sits on her eggs she fluffs up.
    Great to hear that she is fine!

Thanks

Thank you so much for your help everyone! So I have one last question....how long will she sit on them till she realizes they aren't fertile and will she lay more in the future? I feel she is so young to already be laying eggs.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Once hens start to lay eggs, they will always lay them. Usually it happens in fall and spring. But in recent years, I have read many posts here on the forum of what I call "single hens", who have no male mate, laying them more often.

Your main goal is to provide her plenty of calcium, which usually, we use cuttlebone, and a good quality diet, with fresh veggies, and fruits. You are feeding her a great diet! That is awesome. Egg laying is very stressful, and they need a great diet and plenty of calcium\cuttlebone.

The next time she lays, you will no doubt see her acting as she did this time.

You should always give her at least 10 hours of nighttime sleep, remove any toys with bells, or remove just the bells, because bells tend to uptake the hormones, and never use any happy huts tents, or coconut forgers, anything that is like a nest she can set in, or a nest box, or nest, and do not feed soft or cooked foods, nor any egg, or egg food. Check your seed mix, to be sure it does not have any dried egg food in it. And no boiled eggs.

It may take 21 days for her to abandon her eggs. Once 21-23 days have past, if she has not abandoned them, remove them from the cage, and discard them.
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-01-2018 at 07:16 AM.

Thanks

How many eggs will she have? She already has 5 eggs and I can feel one more. I just want this to be over :c My poor little birbie.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Only mother nature knows. The number varies from hen to hen. Here on the forum I have seen 7 for some, and perhaps 4-5 for others. It just depends upon the hen. You are doing a great job watching over her.

Thanks

She had her sixth egg. She’s still doing great and I making sure to give her everything she needs. For food she has 5 different options. Thank you so much for helping me everyone! I’m glad you guys helped me get through this new experience. I thank you all. She’s all done laying eggs now.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

That is great news. Just let her be with her eggs for the time period of 21-23 days, and if she does not abandon them by then, you can remove them and discard them. We will watch for updates.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Taylor
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Slightly Worried

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    Wow. So she was ready to lay eggs. It least you bow know what was going on with her. You can also scrape a little bit of the cuttlebone into some of her food, it is a great source of calcium.

I am happy she is doing so good laying the eggs. It sounds like she has a great diet as well. Good job making sure she has a good diet.
    oh thats a good idea! my budgie doesnt eat on his cuttlebone very much at all and im so worried hes not getting enough calcium so I am gonna scrape a bit off and put it in his food!

Remove Ads