Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My society finch attacked my gouldian!

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

My society finch attacked my gouldian!

Today, after I gave my birds their fresh salad, I saw the cinnamon society finch attack the two gouldians. It shocked me because I've never seen a society finch so aggressive.

Also, yesterday, I had put my cockatiel Mickey in the finch cage for a few minutes. (Mickey socializes with the finches through the cage bars all the time). The cinnamon society attacked Mickey!

So, after the attack on the gouldians today, the light bulb went on in my head. I grabbed a stepladder and peeked down into the canary nest the societies sleep in. Sure enough! There are eggs.

However, there are 9 eggs. I never had breeding birds before - ever. But I had finches a long time ago. I also asked Jeff, the bird store owner, about it. He was surprised that there would be so many eggs. But he said that possibly the 2 society finches are both females and are both laying eggs, because societies only lay between 4 and 6 eggs.

Anyone have experience with breeding society finches? If so, please help!!

Thanks!
    Last edited by DesertDweller; 05-26-2018 at 04:41 PM.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: My society finch attacked my gouldian!

Poor girl. I sure wouldn't want to deal with two nesting birds. How weird both laid eggs at the same time in the same box.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I've decided to bring all the finches back to the store. I don't want to deal with egg-laying of any kind. It makes me too nervous after losing Rosie my parrotlet to egg-binding.

I had lots of finches for years and never had a problem with egg laying. I had a huge community flight cage with different types of mannikins and weavers all together. Never a problem. I even gave all of them enough canary nests for everyone to be happy. They just used the nests for sleeping and playing. I do not want eggs and I do not want babies hatched here. I think I'll have my hands full with my cockatiel and my new amazon, anyway.

It's not a fun situation to have beautiful birds that you worry about all the time.

Too bad, though. These finches are now very tame in just 1 month. I clipped all their wings and feed them inside their cage. They are already accustomed to me and don't flinch when I take care of their cage. And, last night I moved them all into a small cage to transport them to the store. The store was closed today, so the finches all sat together (except for the 1 tending the eggs) and they had fun watching tv and eating treats. They didn't even raise a fuss when I picked them up to put them in the small cage! And, after I put the nest with the eggs in it into the small cage, the societies just hopped right in and resumed sitting on the eggs!
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,270 Posts

Dealing with egg laying definitely is a challenge. I think you made the right decision, even though you will miss them. I am happy they did not hurt Mickey.

I have the opinion, that it seems to me there are so many different hen species that seem to be laying eggs all the time now. Do you think it is because of the ingredients that are in many seed mixes and pellets for birds? When I read ingredient lists on a box or bag, the producers sure put lots of added ingredients and supplements in the mix. Years ago, I would have never been concerned about egg laying. I had budgies for many years, and even single hens. They never laid eggs. Of course, back then, there was only canary seed in a box of budgie seed. I never fed anything else to my budgies back then, and I am pretty sure there was not any vitamin supplements in the mix. And my first budgie lived 9 years eating only seed.

In the last 2-5 years, it seems to me many owners, here on the forum, are having egg laying challenges, and single hens sure seem to be subject to it.
    Last edited by maxollie; 05-29-2018 at 12:46 PM.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Thanks, Ellen. Actually, I don't feel I'll miss them too much because I just got them. They're cute as can be, but I don't need 'cute ornaments'. I want just my cockatiel and my amazon. I would love to have kept the finches, but no way will I deal with egg-laying.

Who would ever have thought that I'd have to protect Mickey from a society finch??!?? The finch has calmed down a lot in the smaller cage. She now sits next to the gouldians that she used to chase. They love to watch tv together. Well, this afternoon they'll be back at the store.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,270 Posts

From what I have read here on the forum, lovebirds can get pretty aggressive with other species of parrots too, even those bigger than themselves.

Remove Ads