Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: She hasn't left the nesting box in a day and a half

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Laurel
    Thanks

She hasn't left the nesting box in a day and a half

Hi All,

I have a three and a half year Cinnamon Cockatiel; Kiki, who's decided to be a single mum again.

Little bit of background history here. We have two other cockatiels who are a mated pair but have never laid eggs, we think because the female is 15yrs old. About 12 months ago Kiki decided she'd like to try her hand at being a single mum and successfully laid 7 eggs, we think mostly because we gave her a box to lay in after finding her stressing to find a place. Though there is a male in the mix, he won't touch Kiki with a ten foot pole so aren't worried her eggs might be fertilised (we check anyway).

Kiki started laying again two days ago, after having prepared her box when we saw the signs. She had her second egg today, approximately 48 hours after her first one. What's worrying us is she normally comes out twice a day to eat, drink, poop and scream at everyone whether it's back at the main cage of at the food provided below her box. Besides checking on her every couple of hours we haven't seen her leave the box today, seen her food touched or the giant mound of poop. When we check on her, she's nice and feisty, hissy and just generally normal for a female protecting her unhatched babies. But what's worrying me is that even after my partner got home (her baby daddy if she had her way) she still didn't come out. This is very out of character for her.

Considering she's never gone this dormant before, would anyone know if this is actually normal for a cockatiel or do I need to remove her from the box and get her to eat, fly around.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 1,247 Posts

Re: She hasn't left the nesting box in a day and a half

Hi, and welcome to the community. My thought is that she is sooooo happy and focused on her eggs, she is losing track of time. Is there any chance she might be leaving the box at night? Personally, since the eggs are not fertile, if it were me, I would just put eggs only, on a small piece of paper towel, on cage bottom corner. The main challenge with a nest box is that they truly encourage a nesting environment, and hens love to nest. From what I have read, taking a hen out of that comfort zone is the best approach. It seems, hens, in the dark, in their nest, is a favorite place to be....24/7.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Laurel
    Thanks

Hi Maxollie,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Not 20 minutes after writing my concern she came out and did her normal routine.

Re: Moving the eggs to the corner of the cage. Normally I'd agree and if my other two ever laid then I'd defiantly be trying it before allowing them other options. But last year when she first started the egg laying process she laid two in the cage, both eggs cracked and we found that Kiki was beginning to self pluck and seemed to be extremely agitated in the cage and frantically trying to find a place to continue laying (if we're home, the birds have free reign of the house). We tried stopping her with the normal tactics but it seemed to make things worse. We ended up going to her Avian vet to go through options and considering the way kiki was acting, we all thought it was for her best interest to introduce the box and see if that calmed her and stop the self plucking. It ended up working and she laid a further 7 eggs with no complications. In my previous post I mentioned 'after having prepared her box when we saw the signs'; her signs being frantic and self plucking, we know it's for her best interest to allow her to lay. With my other two, being a mated pair, fertilisation is a concern so I go through the normal tactics with them to stop them roosting and it seems to work.

I keep and eye on Kiki's food intake and it's normally pretty steady during this time. The other night just worried me because I couldn't see that any food had been consumed and she normally comes out once in the morning and once in the afternoon like clockwork and weighing her at the moment isn't normal because of the eggs. She successfully laid a third egg between 6.00-6.30pm tonight and was out of the box to eat, drink and fly at 7.00pm and back in 10 minutes later. She's very alert and eating/drinking/pooping normally for this condition. We have told her vet what's going on though, just in case.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 1,247 Posts

Thank you for your reply. I totally respect you and your vet, and you sure must listen to him or her. And I know you are in good communication with your vet, should you need him or her.

We will welcome your updates anytime, and I wish the very best to you and Kiki.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

The vet knows best. When I started to read your post, I was thinking about maybe you need to bring her to the vet. Good for you to do it!!!

Also, what came to mind was how human teenagers act when their hormones start going strong. LOL.
    I'm very impressed with how well you monitor your bird's health!! Way to go! It's so nice to hear from someone so caring and diligent about their birds.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Remove Ads