where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Please Help With Trianing

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ada
    Thanks

Unhappy Please Help With Trianing

I am trying to finger train my birds but they are not having any of it. It almost seems as though they hate me? I have a pair of female older budgies that don't seem interested in my help. I'd like to get them finger trained and I know I sound impatient but I really want them to get out of the cage so they don't start getting fat and such I really like my birds and would like to help them but they don't seem to intent to sit on my finger. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get them finger trained a little bit faster? I'd like to spend some quality time with them. I hope I don't sound too impatient but I really want to speed up the process of training.
    (By the way, my birds are 5, and 2, they've been through some pretty rough homes. They're not clipped and I don't want to traumatize my birds like that. One of them will stand on my finger only when she's outside of the cage.) Please send help.
    Last edited by Navi and Mango; 06-12-2018 at 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar

Thanks

Re: Please Help With Trianing

Don't be impatient.
    How you feel when under pressure you trying to learn something new. I believe it's not the best mood to learn, right? Birds need time too, especially older one.
    For my lovely Angel (rip), it took FEW MONTHS to be slightly calm when hand was near him. He was about 4 years old.
    You need to practice with them every day and dont be impatient. They can feel it.

In my home - my budgies aren't finger trained, but I let them out. I remove dish bowl from their cage when letting them out so they can't eat during out time. When I see they are hungry, I put the bowls back and they are coming back to cages.
    I do not recommend it if you are impatient, because it may take few hours for birds to back to cage.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I agree. If your birds sense you are upset with them not getting on your finger they won't do it. Also if you are trying to put your hand in the cage and get them to hop on your hand it might never happen. My lovebird hated hands in his cage and would bite them if they were in there. I would open his cage door and he would come out and get on the top and then would hop on our finger. He was very friendly and a huge people lover but not when he was in his cage. My daughters conure, Tikki doesn't like hands much either but loves to sit on your shoulder or better yet your head. He will hop on your finger when getting out of his cage but then climb up to your shoulder. Patience and lots of time and your birds will decide to hop on you. If they like a certain seed out of there mix try putting some in your palm and hopefully they will try eating it. Some people have luck with millet. With Tikki he loves anything your eating and has to fly over to get some. Bonding over a shared meal with bird is always good. Boomer insisted on eating "flock meals" with us. We gave him a bowl or saucer with our good for him people food on it and he chowed down with us.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,147 Posts

Having had some rough times in other homes, they may not ever trust you 100%. Time and patience are always on your side. Play soft music on a radio or CD player for them, during the day. Get some millet sprigs at a pet shop, and try extending the millet sprig top toward them, so they can eat millet off the top of the sprig, without being afraid of your hand. Practice this with them a few times a day. All birds are afraid of hands, and for these two, we do not know how difficult of a life they really had, so, you will need to take it very slow with them. And enjoy them in ways that do not frighten them

Some budgies, who are well cared for, on occasion, due to rental lease conditions, are not allowed out of cage, but, because of eating a great diet, live for many years, never being out to fly free. And it does not seem to affect them.
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-13-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ada
    Thanks

This actually helped a lot, thank you so much!!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ada
    Thanks

This post specifically helped me to understand that my birds like me only when I'm not invading their safe space, thank you so much

Remove Ads