Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parakeet breeding help

Ali Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Parakeet breeding help

Hello about 9 days ago I noticed a cracked egg at the bottom of my cage this was a first for me so I removed the egg than purchased a nest box she didnít lay another egg until 4 days later. She sat on this egg for about 2 days until I found it broken in the nest box so then I removed now 4 days Later no other egg I am really confused why is she doing this they have a cuttlebone and mineral block available. This is realy frustrating me sinse I realy want baby birds. What can I expect.
    Last edited by Dakroub1; 06-15-2018 at 11:03 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 1,209 Posts

Re: Parakeet breeding help

How old is Katie? Since this is probably the first time she has laid eggs, this is common behavior. They do lay eggs in odd places, or off the perch. When an egg breaks, we have to throw it away. And when that happens, Nature says for her to lay an egg to replace it. Eggs are laid, generally, every other day for experienced egg laying hens. But newbies can get off that timetable. About the only thing you can do is sit back and see if she does lay more eggs. Then you would need to let her nest with her eggs in a nestbox, if they are fertile, and you have seen her mating with the male. But if eggs are not fertile, then, it is best to put any that are not broken on the cage floor on a piece of folded paper towel, and let that be her nest. She needs to nest with her eggs for 25-35 days, whether or not they are fertile. Never throw away her eggs unless they are cracked or broken.
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-15-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Ali Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hello she just layed another egg today in the nest box she seems to be sitting on it often and she is showing mating behavior toward the male. So I hope itís fertile but I donít know why she is cracking them I hope she wonít anymore the female is 3 years old the male is 7 both first time breeding
    Last edited by Dakroub1; 06-15-2018 at 11:33 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

They both should be able to mate and produce chicks. I will say seven years of age is somewhat o!der to still fertilize eggs but as long as you have fed both well and provided p!entry of calcium, for all those years, I see no reason why the eggs would not be fertile. But it may take a few tries for the eggs to finally be fertile. Are you sure she is the one breaking the eggs? Sometimes the male breaks them, due to jealousy of the hen, or by mistake. Even though they are an o!der pair, mating and egg laying are new to them, and it may take some time for them to get the breeding together for successful hatch of eggs.

As I suggested, see how it all plays out, day to day. We welcome your concerns and questions.

Ali Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you Iíll keep you updated but I have 2 question for anyone experience first should I allow the parakeets out of the cage while they are watching a egg should I allow the male out to fly and stretch his wings for a couple of minute while they are watching over the eggs usually I leave the cage door open and they leave when they feel like it they are trained but I been leaving close sinse they had an egg. And 2 I keep seeing them having sex even after there egg do they do this in between each egg please clarify Thank you.
    Last edited by Dakroub1; 06-18-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, it is common for them to mate while hen is setting on eggs. I would allow them to come out of cage, if they want to do so. Usually, the male will never go in the nest box until the eggs hatch.

Ali Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hello thank now she their is 3 eggs and male is almost always in the nest box with the the female. And it looks like she is finally on the every other day time table Iíll keep you updated thank you

Ali Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I have another question and will probably have much more that I will ask throughout the process but the male is is almost alway siting beside the female in the nest box is this normal

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Usually, with budgies, the male does not spend much time in the box until the eggs hatch. He eats seeds, takes them to the nest, and regurgitates the seeds to the female and then she feeds the babies. But, the male will also feed the babies if necessary.

As long as the two are getting along good together, in my view, there is no concern about the two being in the nest box together. This is much better than the two of them fighting, because usually the hen is very protective of her eggs.

Ali Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Ok thank now their a six eggs in the nesting box but always seems like 1 or 2 are on the side and not under her its not always the same eggs maybe it due to her not being able to fit them all in and that why the male come and sits with her also I’m wondering how many eggs can I expect sinse she layer 8 in total so far first she layer off the perch and it was found broke on the floor this was way before I even knew they where mating and I even thought they where both female the second she layed 5 days later and she sat on for a few days then she broke for no reason and then 5 days later a 3rd egg and sinse then she has been laying an egg every other day. Should I candel them to make sure their is an embryo or will this cause her to to be stressed and possibly break the eggs also when can I expect the birds to hatch and should I add a larger variety of diet. Thank you for helping me with all my question and more coming in the future
    Last edited by Dakroub1; 06-26-2018 at 07:47 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

My view is to leave the nest as it is now, and do not touch the eggs, nor move any, nor candle them. Hens know instinctively if an egg is not viable, or is not fertile, or may have a dead embryo inside and will cast it aside. But you cannot move it.

About the only thing you can do now, is to just sit back and wait and take a day at a time. Since she has laid eggs sporadically, and now has three different clutches going, it is going to take at least 35 days to see how many, if any are going to hatch.

So......patience....patience...patiernce, is the best approach for now.

Ali Brand New Egg
    Thanks

It is possible for her 2 have 3 clutches going on at 1 time is this dangerous for her will she be able to raise them all of any are fertile.so she can have much more eggs than this. And also is their any way to see if their fertile other than fertile other than canceling them thank you

Ali Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I really really hope their fertile I already bought them a large indoor aviary
    Last edited by Dakroub1; 06-27-2018 at 08:49 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

It is possible to have more than one clutch at a time, and as a result, you need to extend the days for each clutch to hatch. A hen usually lays her eggs every other day. If she misses several days, and then lays eggs again, that is a new clutch. And then that second clutch needs to have the 25 day period of time started again. Same goes for another clutch. And therefore, you could have a hen in the nest for over 2 months, which is a real problem, because nests equal eggs, and unless the nest is removed, a hen could be nesting a very long time, and due to the stress, ruin her health.

In my view, if it were me, I would never have several pairs at one time nesting. And if my hen were to lay more than one clutch, I would remove all eggs from the second and third or more clutches and replace those eggs with dummy eggs.

Ali Brand New Egg
    Thanks

IsIt possible to tell if the eggs are fertile or unfertile without candling them

Remove Ads