Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Parakeet acting weird and gross?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Parakeet acting weird and gross?

So last night i was eating next to yuki, my parakeet. I look up and see her grabbing her dried poop from the ladder she uses in between her beak before doing that side to side motion with her beak. She then dropped it and moved to the next piece to do the same thing! I was so grossed out! After i lost my appetite i quickly got the ladder and went to wash it along with her perches. I used bleach and soap and scrubbed the ladder for a good 5 minutes on both sides. After i dried it i put it back in and went to bed. This morning she had a bunch of dried feces on her ladder again and i was like ill clean it after i come back home. When i came home it was all gone! She had done the same thing again! I dont know what i should do besides cleaning the ladder everytime she poops on it! Theres also another weird thing shes started to do. When i first got her she’d sit on my finger and let me pet her feet and rub her neck or chest. I tried to do the same thing last night and she started squaking that mad sound at me. So i tried to give her a neck massage that she liked cause i thought maybe she just outgrew foot rubs, she then flew away squaking before flying to the cockatiel. Obviously the issue concerning her eating/pecking at her poop is more urgent but if someone has a solution for both please let me know!
    Last edited by Midnightfurwuvsu2; 06-17-2018 at 08:11 PM.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,153 Posts

Re: Parakeet acting weird and gross?

It is not uncommon for birds to eat poop on occasion. It is not a good idea, of course, but is difficult to stop. What diet and seed are you feeding her? How old is she? Is she very bonded to the cockatiel? Personally, I would never use bleach or soap washing the perch. Instead, I use apple cider vinegar and warm water mixed together to clean my cages and perches.

This just might be something, for whatever reason, she decided to do. If it continues, remove the ladder. Also, each night, always remove seed cup, check for poop in it, wash the cup, and pur new seed in the cup. Also, clean water cup and fresh water every day.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Is she eating the poop or just knocking it off the ladder? I have heard of a few budgies that fling there poos off of things. If she is eating them it's called pica and usually caused by a mineral imbalance. People and some dogs have Pica as well.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Im not sure how old she is, i just know she was a baby when i got her from petco. I give her clean water and food every day when i wake up. From the moment we got her her cage has sat next to the cockatiels cage. I bought her two different seed bags, one is called fort diet pro health and the other is kaytee exact fusion. Theyre suppose to support brain, heart, skin, feather, and digestion. Shes a very socialable bird, she pretty much gets along with everyone except humans. She loves to look in the mirror and talk to herself, she gives kisses to herself. She also give kisses to the cockatiel and loves to watch him constantly, she talks to him all day. She’ll talk to the birds outside when they come by the window and when my cat jumps on the table to watch her she’ll go to the side where my cat is and talk to her. She has no sense of danger what so ever. However when shes talking and i come by to sit with her she stops chirping. If i sit infront of her she goes to the farthest corner away from me. She’ll only get close to me if i play budgie videos or hold the mirror up to her. The vet recently clipped her wings and said she was healthy so i dont know what the problem is.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I dont think shes actually eating it, i just saw her take it off and drop it so i dont know if shes eating it other times or just pecking it off the ladder. I have a cuttlebone in her cage that she keeps flinging on the ground of her cage.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

That's great she isn't eating it. My friends budgie flung his pops everyday. If he pooed on my friends shoulder he would fling it off right afterwards. It grossed her out but he did it all his life. Some birds just must not like having it where they are and flings it away. Strange but it least other birds do it too.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,153 Posts

One of the main challenges for her now will be the wing clipping. In my view, the beautiful wings of a bird are his or her heart and soul. And all birds perceive danger by flying away from it, and in her case, she is now limited from flying normally until the flight feathers grow back. This may be why she is avoiding you. I am not putting you down nor the vet for deciding to clip her wings, because that is your right.

Time and patience will be on your side. Sometimes it takes weeks and even months for a bird to not be afraid of us. I suggest to just let her decide when she feels trusting toward you. And the cat could also be giving her anxiety. In my view, a cat should never be in the same room with any bird. Cats can pounce on a cage, sometimes jarring the cage door loose, and killing the bird. And also, cats can severely scare a bird out of cage, even killing it.

Thanks

I think she just cleaning those perches and ladder. Nobody want to sit on poopy perches and ladder.
    My budgies and lovebirds do the same - if on their way is dry poop they will take it to beak, do that side-to-side motion and drop in on the cage floor. Sometimes it looks like they don't know what is that exactly, because they look at it longer time and then check it with beak - still dont eat it of course.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

My parakeet doesnt seem afraid of the cats at all, in fact she flies right to her scaring me and the cat! Whenever the bird flies towards the cat, my cat gets scared, fluffs out and runs away as fast as she can. I recently got her a new cage as well. Its the vision medium sized cage. The doors have these sliding clips where you have to rotate them in order to open the door. Its much safer then her previous one now, and much bigger. As for the clippings, even if i clipped her wings she is still able to fly far! I recently got them clipped and she still managed to fly around the entire kitchen, living room and dining room before sitting on the counter. I was only going to clip her wings until i can tame/train her to trust me that way she wont fly away from me while im trying to get her back in the cage or land somewhere high where i cant reach her. My kitchen roof is very high, the ceiling is about two stories high so it is far up there with a window and a slab. She got up there once and it took about two hours to get her back down. Ive had her for almost 11 months now and no progress in getting her trust...
    Last edited by Midnightfurwuvsu2; 06-30-2018 at 10:57 PM.

Remove Ads