where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Owl finches

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Owl finches

Hello, y'all!

My name is Jennifer, and I've been a member here since July 2017. We adopted our first peachface, Sprite, in July of 2016. Then we adopted Scout in July 2017, and Skye in December of 2017. Sprite and Scout had their first clutch of eggs, and one egg hatched on June 3rd. He/she is ADORABLE! (There's pics of my crew in my album here.)

I was wondering if anyone here has owl finches? We saw some at the bird show, and my son and I think they are SOOOO cute! We are going back to a bird show next month, and we hope to adopt at least one! Does anyone have any? Is there anything I should know about before getting them? Can we just take in one, or would he/she be happier with a cagemate? Can you put 2 males or 2 females together? Do they like to be handled? (Our lovebirds prefer to be with us, rather than in their cages.)

Any info would be great! Thanks in advance!
    Jennifer M.

Mother to 1 human, Eric; 3 cats, Stormy, Sami, & Saint; 2 bearded dragons, Smauggie & Sydney, an assortment of fish, and 4 peach-faced lovebirds, Sprite, Scout, Skye & Jasper. I also have one Gouldian, Napoleon.

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

Re: Owl finches

Hi, I'm also planning on getting some, from the infos I got, they like to live in group but it's hard to differentiate males from females. The best way seems to be from their voice.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ketcha View Post
    Hi, I'm also planning on getting some, from the infos I got, they like to live in group but it's hard to differentiate males from females. The best way seems to be from their voice.

I've heard that the males are supposed to have thicker bands and whiter chests than females, but I can't see it.
    Jennifer M.

Mother to 1 human, Eric; 3 cats, Stormy, Sami, & Saint; 2 bearded dragons, Smauggie & Sydney, an assortment of fish, and 4 peach-faced lovebirds, Sprite, Scout, Skye & Jasper. I also have one Gouldian, Napoleon.

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Finches tend to be less social with humans, not really a bird that would be handled or out of a cage as far as I know. I have a canary (finch family) and they can be less social as well, but I have her alone so she has bonded to me, and I have put in a lot of work getting to a place where I can handle her. Just last week (I've had her for about a year and a half and she was 1 when I got her) she has stepped up onto my finger for the first time. She enjoys a good fly around, but has taken a while to get to a place where I can catch her easily and put her back in when the time comes. Finches seem smaller and less domesticated to me, so I doubt they would be as social with humans. Hopefully someone more experienced with finches will weigh in! I'd love to know the answer as well.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MessyMissy View Post
    Finches tend to be less social with humans, not really a bird that would be handled or out of a cage as far as I know. I have a canary (finch family) and they can be less social as well, but I have her alone so she has bonded to me, and I have put in a lot of work getting to a place where I can handle her. Just last week (I've had her for about a year and a half and she was 1 when I got her) she has stepped up onto my finger for the first time. She enjoys a good fly around, but has taken a while to get to a place where I can catch her easily and put her back in when the time comes. Finches seem smaller and less domesticated to me, so I doubt they would be as social with humans. Hopefully someone more experienced with finches will weigh in! I'd love to know the answer as well.
    Yes, our vet says the same thing, that the finches won't like to be handled and will be more of a hands-off pet. Since we have other pets, I'm ok with that. We have 4 lovebirds (one is 5 weeks old), 3 cats, and 2 bearded dragons, not to mention a freshwater tank of fish and a bin of Dubia roaches (for the beardies to eat).

I think the owl finches are SO cute!
    Jennifer M.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

I would get a couple of them, maybe more later. Think a bird, even as a house pet, should have a member of its species living with him. am used to Zebra Finches, have had 3. Was just the male and female, then they had a baby bird, a daughter. Seem to get along fine. Not aware of Owl Finches, but sounds good. Park near where I live has many hawks and a couple breeds of Owls , so overall like your idea to get a pair of Owl Finches. Good Luck.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Birdmanca View Post
    I would get a couple of them, maybe more later. Think a bird, even as a house pet, should have a member of its species living with him. am used to Zebra Finches, have had 3. Was just the male and female, then they had a baby bird, a daughter. Seem to get along fine. Not aware of Owl Finches, but sounds good. Park near where I live has many hawks and a couple breeds of Owls , so overall like your idea to get a pair of Owl Finches. Good Luck.
    We hope to take at least 2 home, but it depends on availability and price. In some of my research, I read that you can have one pair, but you can't have two pairs. It states that one pair is okay, but if you want more, you need to do at least THREE pairs, because two pairs won't get along.
    Jennifer M.

Name
    Jennifer M
    Thanks

We went to the bird show last weekend, but the guy who breeds owl finches didn't make it this year. Normally there would be another show in December, but that's cancelled, so I'll have to wait until next July to see him. No one else had owl finches. There is a bird show put on by another group in September, but that one is THREE hours away, and I'd have to get there when they first open at 9, if I want any chance to get what I'm looking for. And I'm not sure that the owl finch guy will be there, but someone else might. We went to it in April and got there after noon, and there wasn't much left.

We were getting ready to leave, and we passed by a table that previously had a bunch of Gouldian finches, but all were gone except for the little finch with a black head. So ... We bought him and took him home. They said he was a male, but his chest feathers aren't very purple. I don't know how old he is though, so those may change in time. One of the people we spoke to said that she referred to Gouldians as Mardi Gras finches, because they are green, gold and purple, so we named him Napoleon, which is one of the few parades that my son and I go to. I added a pic of him to my album. We do plan on getting owl finches down the line, as well.
    Jennifer M.

Remove Ads