Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Is it possible to tame an adult cockatiel?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Chloe
    Thanks

Is it possible to tame an adult cockatiel?

Hi, I have a male cockatiel. I was told by the store that he is 12 weeks however I've recently been told by others he is at least a year old with how yellow his face is.

We've had him for almost a month now and have seemed to make no progress with taming him. We are being very gentle and quiet around him and trying to get him used to our hand being in the cage (changing food and sometimes just putting our hand in there with a treat to show it is safe). If we get too close he will not bite but he will occasionally hiss. He will always back away and start flapping about the cage. I have tried putting millet through the cage but he seems to be flying away from that too. I'm considering getting him a little play area outside of his cage and letting him out and hoping he eventually realises I'm not going to hurt him.

However the main point of this post: I'm just wondering if it's even possible to do this. I'd really like to have him tame and eventually teach him to step up but he just seems so afraid of everything. Any tips I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 1,221 Posts

Re: Is it possible to tame an adult cockatiel?

Hi, and welcome to the community. I do not think his age, no matter whether baby, or adult will matter. If he is older, it may take longer, but it can be done. Time and patience are on your side. And I think the play gym is an awesome idea. Also, play music on a CD player or radio for him, and sit by his cage and talk softly to him. The millet treat is a good idea.

Also, go to YouTube and search for ...training cockatiels. There are great videos there.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Carmen Lewis
    Thanks

Hi, my two was already a few months old and they were wild! We did step-up training with them every day for at least 5 minutes. After a few weeks they had gotten use to us and it was so much easier to get them out of the cage.
    Instagram: Punk_birbs

Fledgeling
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

It is still possible to tame him. But do go slow about it, so it will appear normal to him. Doing it too fast may not be a good idea.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

I suggest using millet and lots of praise when working with your cockatiel. When he does step up, praise him with Good Boy and give him a little bit of millet. In time, it will become automatic where you don't even have to reward with millet. I always praise my little guy with a "Good Boy" when he steps up..
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I have the same problem as you except mine might be more afraid of me seeing as I had to grab him with a towel to orally feed him medicine when he got sick one week after buying him Have you made any progress with him yet? Has he at least flown out of the cage? I hope you have made progress.. I need some hope right now...

Fledgeling
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

If the bird likes you some it can be done at any age.You have been trying to tame him since he moved in there. Make it lookmore casual. Like an easy going friend. Some birds are easy to get along with. However, thereare some that do not tame and will also bite you. I have had a time when I thought he would never be my friend, but he warmed up and got more friendly by his own mind. It worked out. Good Luck.

Remove Ads