Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Can anyone tell me the sex of this bird?

Name
    Jenna
    Thanks

Can anyone tell me the sex of this bird?

Hi, I'm new here, but have had parakeets throughout my life. Recently we aquired 2 birds from a friend of ours. They told us the pet store had told them one was male, one was female. The female laid several clutches of eggs that were all infertile. I took the birds to another store and they told me we had two females. I added a male. Now I'm wondering if the second store had it incorrect. This bird is very aggressive, and squacks a lot. Can anyone tell me if it's a male? I'm thinking about adding another female to the mix but want to make sure it's a male. I'm hoping balancing out the numbers to an even number will help with this one's aggression. Thanks!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,153 Posts

Re: Can anyone tell me the sex of this bird?

Hi, and welcome! If these budgies are under 9-12 months of age, it is very difficult to decern the sex. You could get DNA sex kits on line, which are much cheaper in price, and do a test. They send you a kit, you pull a few feathers on each bird, and send the kits back. Then they will send you back the result.

If it were me, I would be sure what the sexes are. Females often do not get along well together, especially when either or both are setting on eggs. Ideally, I would get the DNA test. Then I would out a male and female in their own cage. And if I had two males, I would cage them together, but females without a mate, I would put in separate / their own individual cage.

A hen that lays eggs, whether mated, when the eggs can be fertile, or a single hen, who has no mate but lays eggs anyway, must always be allowed to keep her eggs, because if they are thrown away, before 30-35 days, the hen will almost immediately lay more to replace them! When I speak of budgies, I consider them to be parakeets as well.
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-21-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Remove Ads