Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Cockatiel suffuring from wings dammage and feather color turnes brown.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Premal
    Thanks

Re: Cockatiel suffuring from wings dammage and feather color turnes brown.

Urgent

Today I open the nest box and check babies' health. And I found that one baby has some issue with his legs . I imminently rushed to Riddhi Trivedi (my friend, who guided me in this whole case). She examined the baby and came to the conclusion that there may be two possibilities, one parent may not have fed this baby well and the second maybe the baby has some birth defect. So we have to take babies for hand feeding. I am not available due to my work schedule to feed baby every 2 hours, so i have to give them to my friend to be taken care of. But Sweety and Shyam are so sad, they are continuously finding their babies. i am so sad right now. Feeling so sorry for the baby.

Guys, do you have any clue why this happened? I am posting pic and videos of the baby.

Help me, guys.

Thank you.

https://i.imgur.com/iC3i1Pn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lpurS3G.mp4

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,280 Posts

Awww!! I am so sorry this happened to baby, but it is awesome your friend will help you out feeding them. You know, since two of the laid eggs died in the shell, it could be there is a genetic marker of some kind in the DNA of one or both parents. I am sure you know that parents who are siblings, and related to each other, can produce deformed chicks, or babies with special needs. Siblings should never be allowed to have babies.

Do not lose hope. The baby can very well look and act much different in a few weeks, after they have regularly hand fed. The other one looks great.

And if for some reason, this baby turns out to have special needs, do not be too discouraged. Special needs birds are very brave and courgeous, and can live a good life. Their disabilities do not get in the way of their daily happiness.

Please keep us updated.
    Last edited by maxollie; 12-30-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am so sorry and sad that the baby has something wrong with it. Is this Splay legs? I honestly never really seen a baby bird up close but I do know some t=of them can get splayed legs where they stick out to the side sort of like your baby was. What ever it is hopefully the person you took the babies can help the one with the bad legs get better.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Premal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Awww!! I am so sorry this happened to baby, but it is awesome your friend will help you out feeding them. You know, since two of the laid eggs died in the shell, it could be there is a genetic marker of some kind in the DNA of one or both parents. I am sure you know that parents who are siblings, and related to each other, can produce deformed chicks, or babies with special needs. Siblings should never be allowed to have babies.

Do not lose hope. The baby can very well look and act much different in a few weeks, after they have regularly hand fed. The other one looks great.

And if for some reason, this baby turns out to have special needs, do not be too discouraged. Special needs birds are very brave and courgeous, and can live a good life. Their disabilities do not get in the way of their daily happiness.

Please keep us updated.

Thank you so much for your kind words and console. yes parents are not siblings. But i don't know why this happened. I will do all needful for that baby. He is taken care of by friend, hope he can be able to stay up long with me.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Premal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    I am so sorry and sad that the baby has something wrong with it. Is this Splay legs? I honestly never really seen a baby bird up close but I do know some t=of them can get splayed legs where they stick out to the side sort of like your baby was. What ever it is hopefully the person you took the babies can help the one with the bad legs get better.
    no, it's not splay legs. We tried to tie legs, but then the baby was screaming and seems in pain so we just leave that.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Premal
    Thanks

update

Hello Guys, I hope you all are doing well with your birds.

The sad news is Those two babies died. :'( Fly High babies. I am so sorry for them, that I could not help them or can't able to give them the proper life that they deserved.

We didn't get the issue with both of them. But my Friend said that might be some genetic issue or some issues occurs when they are in the egg. I changed their nesting style from Clay pot to a wooden box. may be that is the issue!! I don't know. but now again I put the clay pot, in which they are comfortable and can easily raise babies.

Another news is Sweety is again on her second clutch of eggs. She laid 5 eggs till the date. I hope the new babies can make it out.

Hope for the best.

Thank you, Friends, for your lovely, awesome support.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,280 Posts

Awww! I am so sorry the two babies died. I agree with your friend it could be genetic. Here in the USA, most of us that breed, do use wooden boxes for the nest. Even aviaries use them. We prefer them because they secure the hen and male, and the eggs from the outside elements, and also keep them cooler in the hot summer weather. Some folks here use nesting material in the box as well. When the babies hatch, it is a quiet place for them and keeps them safe too. Here we have several different size boxes. They are labeled for small parrots, such as budgies and are of course smaller. In my view, since Sweety is used to the pot, and has laid all those eggs, it might be best to let her proceed as she usually does, and next time, you might try the box, because I am concerned about her abandoning those eggs, if she has to get used to the wooden box. And you very well may be right to not use a wooden box at all.

Recently, I came across a Youtube account called Cockatiel Companion. There are several different videos, some are hours long. Check those videos out. You will see how this person has set up his or her aviary, and the size of nest boxes he has in there. My male cockatiel, Penny, and my budgie, Muffin love to watch and listen to the birdies! We also watch some of budgies.

You also may be able to make your own wooden box, or find someone to make it for you.

Even though it is so sad the babies died, it probably was an act of Nature, which was best for all concerned. I have often heard that when there is something wrong in the shell, and the eggs do not hatch, or babies soon die after hatching, it is a natural event.

Rest in peace at the Rainbow Bridge, sweet babies! Sending you hugs, and scritches for your flock!
    Last edited by maxollie; 01-19-2020 at 12:01 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry you lost your babies. I hope the eggs you have now hatch out and give your perfect healthy babies.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads