Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Is my budgie sick?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Is my budgie sick?

Im concerned my budgie is sick but my mom wont believe me and refuses to take her to the vet because everytime we take her they say shes fine and we have to pay just for them to tell us shes fine. But recently shes been acting strange to me. She started to sneeze more then usual, she kept sneezing last night, around four to seven times in a row before stopping. I feel like her tail is bobbing as well. Just now she started to sneeze and open her mouth like gasping for breath but made a slight sneezing sound. I think she was coughing this time, not sneezing. She still talks to herself in the mirror and is eating. But im concerned that shes getting sick. Im started to get sick as well, and didnt realize that i might have made her sick too. I blew a feather off her the other day when i had mucus, i thought it was allergies but im getting worse so i think im actually getting a sinus infection again. Did i cause her to get sick? I feel so bad and im panicking that she’ll die if i cant get her into the vet soon. Every morning im scared of seeing a dead bird.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,153 Posts

Re: Is my budgie sick?

Keep her warm, and encourage her to drink water and eat. Keep her covered with front side open in daytime, so she will not get drafts. You are in a situation where you must obey your parents. I really cannot say if she could get sick from you. On!y a vet could answer that question.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

She eats every few minutes and still hops around/chirps alot. Ive kept a blanket on her except for when i put her infront of the window since it tends to get really warm, almost hot in front of our windows. Arizona heat tends to make everything heat up really fast. Ive only seen her drink once in a while. I think she drinks but not alot. I only see her drink maybe once every few days. I dont know if she just drinks when im not around. I thought maybe its because she didnt know where the water bowl was since she got a new cage but when i switched the bowls she seemed to know where both bowls were so i dont understand why she doesnt drink more.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Budgies do not drink a large amount of water each day,but she has to be getting water sometime, because they cannot survive without it after a few days, at best.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Oh ok, i have two water dishes for her and it looks like shes drinking from it. She wont drink if its clear though. I dont know if she cant see the water in the dish or not because she’ll only drink if theres feathers floating in it or seeds floating. If she doesnt see anything floating she walks away like she cant see the water.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Birds do have some funny behaviors about different things. If it takes the feathers and seeds, go for it!!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

An option your mother might be more receptive to is a $25 AV online. Before you connect, have a list of ALL symptoms and concerns as well as any behavioral changes you've noticed and your attempts to help.

Remove Ads