Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Family friend passed.. when to get a new friend

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Unhappy Family friend passed.. when to get a new friend

Hi all,

Our family member passed away over the weekend (yes the tiel was a family member to us), which of course was a shock and left us heart broken as some on here can attest too. She unfortunately ate some Avocado and by the time we found out she had done, it was too late to save her....
    While her death is still raw, we do have another tiel which we need to be thinking of. He is very independent and often showed signs of aggression and distaste for the other tiel (Mimi), but we knew they where secretly friends and her passing is showing that. Often calling out to see if she responds, something they did when in separate rooms.
    So the question is do we already start looking for a new friend to join the family or not? We do have the option of getting another one, but he\she will be very young maybe 1 year and he is 12yrs old.
    I get so angry when looking at adverts of tiels for sale, people are selling as no longer wanted, kids don't want them etc etc and the tiel we saw is in that category. Owner is going on holiday and no longer wants the bird, beggars belief. Anyway, we have a chance to save this little bird from this owner and give him\her a fresh start. I might add our little Mimi who passed was also a rescue from an unscrupulous breeder, and Tintin other tiel rescue from a pet store, so guess have a little theme going here.

All that said, is it a good idea to get another tiel for him so soon, any thoughts , comments are appreciated. Unfortunately this is a time sensitive matter to get the other tiel, as the owner has said going on holiday next week, bird must be gone or else, and yes that was in her advert....ggrrrrrrrrrr
    Its not how I was going to do it, I really wanted to take my time in finding a new friend, but we have moved from the UK to Sweden and our options in tiels are limited. We would have preferred an older bird that needed a forever home, but we will take this little mite to get her away from someone who clearly never wanted him\her. Of course priority is to our existing tiel, so whatever is best for him.

Thanks in advance
    Kevin

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sheva
    Thanks

Re: Family friend passed.. when to get a new friend

I'm sorry to hear about your bird.

I'm by no means an experienced owner, but I think you should go for it. Even if they don't become friends just having another tiel around might ease his pain. As for getting another so soon I'm honestly not sure how that would affect things. I don't see how that make them hate each other, but then I'm not a bird....
    I hope someone a with a little more experience can give you some advice!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry for your loss and cannot even imagine losing her the way you did. Losing our loved birds hurts us "parronts" in such a emotional way that it hard even years later. Your boy might just like another girl to ease his loss and if he doesn't sooner or later he will accept her. I think saving this tiel and bringing it home might be best for all of you because even if your boy does not accept the new bird it least you saved this new bird from being set free or going to a bad home.

Again, I am sorry for your loss and your sweet little girl in now in a place where she is flying free without pain and is wishing you were not so sad. HUGS to you.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Hi, Kevin, and welcome to the community, I am so sorry for you and your family of the loss of Mimi. I admire you completely for loving and caring for her and your TinTin for all the years. I also feel it just might be the best decision you could ever make in bringing this little tiel into your home. I would put them in separate areas of your home for about 30 days as a quarantine, in case the new one would be carrying an unknown illness. And then, I would put their cages relatively close to each other. They can explore each other this way for awhile, and then you can slowly introduce them, perhaps on a play gym, or with some supervised out of cage time. Sometimes o!der birds tend to control younger ones, but with them in separate cages that will not happen.

I totally admire you for considering to take this precious bird, It is a great opportunity for you to get one, and it appears there are not a big supply in your area. I think you will love having both of them in your life. For birds, age is just a number. Cockatiels can live 25 years, so you can plan for a great new life for both of them.

We will welcome your updates anytime. I hope you will soon bring home this little tiel. I wish you the best life ever with them.

Fly high and free, sweet Mimi! Over the rainbow bridge!
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-03-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks you all for the comments and responses, much appreciated.

Before the first reply we already decided that we would take the other little mite on. Not sure I'm looking forward to the journey (12hr round trip) , but we know its the right thing to do so the journey will be an easy one. I go fetch him\her this weekend, and will post a pic soon afterwards with a update.

Thanks for the advice, we are aware of the potential dangers of foreign birds. Mimi who we rescued from a breeder, had to have 4 weeks of vet treatments because she had bad case of psittacosis. She was a big cockatiel but still gained 22grams in weight after getting better( If you have tiels will know that's a lot of weight). The breeder was completely ignorant when we told her, and she had lots of other birds in roaming freely, so they more than likely all had it.

Thanks again and will update in a few days time

Kevin

Remove Ads