Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Circovirus Doubts

Brand New Egg
    Name
    carey evans
    Thanks

Circovirus Doubts

Hi Everyone, I'm new here.

I was given a Ring Winged Parrot yesterday that is about 7 months old. He was tested before I got him and was positive for the Circovirus. The breeder doubts he really has it because he said he had lost some feathers but they grew back which is not common with the virus. This poor birds eyes are very irritated looking, not red but he seems light sensitive or the eyes are dry so it seems difficult for him to keep them open. I have passed luke warm water then an antibacterial cream with Vit. D. The breeder said that the bird did finish a treatment of 45 days with a antibiotic called Doxycyclin (I think) I was thinking the eyes are a secondary infection from being on a long dose of the Doxy. His tail feathers look ratty too. Can someone give me some input, I would really appreciate it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thank you in advance

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Circovirus Doubts

He is a beautiful bird. I have heard that this is not treatable and it will stay in his body his entire life. It goes into remission but never leaves there body. I know a person who has a bird with Circovirus also known as Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease (PBFD). It will get better but he may get another flare up that could make him lose all his feathers.

I would buy some benabac for him and start putting this on his food to get his gut flora back up because no doubt the doxy killed all of the good bacteria in his gut. You can also give him a small pea sized dab of Organic Red Palm oil everyday. Our avian vet recommends this to all her avian patients because it is so good for there skin and feathers. You can also give him aloe gel that is pure organic gel with no added ingredients and see if he will lick it up. If not mix it into some fresh wet food and give it to him. All you can really do is give him lots of love and please do not get another bird because this is something that will transfer to other birds and infect them with this awful disease. I am sorry if I hurt you with my words but its very important not to take a chance and passing this to other birds.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    carey evans
    Thanks

Thank you for your advice, I don't have this red palm oil but will try to find it. Do you think linseed oil would be good for her too?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

We found ours at a natural food store but they also sell it on Amazon too. But then you are not from the USA so it might not be in your area. Can you find coconut oil? These oils are the ones I know are good for there skin. They both only turn liquid when heated and I give the palm oil when its solid to my daughters bird.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Poor sweet bird! Hes lucky to have someone to take good care of him and make him as comfortable and happy as he can be. What is his name?

Remove Ads