Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Snitch Steps Up!

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Snitch Steps Up!

I’ve set up a perch in the kitchen window for Snitch to sit on while I clean her cage (since she HATES being in there when I clean the bars and she gravitates to the window and wants to watch the goings-on in the back yard from there when she is out most of the time). Last week (as always) I spent a little time going up to her to put my finger in front of her to get her to step up and she flies away and I follow her calmly and try again. She used to fly to the other side of the house if my hands got within 3 feet of her....but my patience and persistence has gotten us down to her flying about a foot away when I get within an inch of her chest, on some occasions I get right up to touching her. I always thought she’d hop up one time, realize she was on my finger, then fly away. But last week......she stayed! For about a minute she sat on my finger while I said good girl and cooed at her trying to reign in my excitement! Then, instead of flying away, she turned around on my finger so she was facing the window area, cocked her head and looked at me for a few seconds then flew to her window perch! This week it was nail clipping time and she sat on my finger when I released her for about 5 minutes - she usually finds somewhere to sit still and chill after the trauma of grooming - she just sat there and I sang to her and I took a photo (she didn’t freak when I picked up my phone) and I even gave her a tiny light pet on her back and near her neck and she didn’t seem to mind! I walked her over and put her close to her window perch and she hopped up there from my finger. After a few minutes I went to the sink under the window to wash her dishes and she flew into the living room away from the noise. When I was done in the sink I went in and took two tries to her her to hop up on my finger and I took her back to her window perch where she stayed while I did the rest of the cleaning on the kitchen table. When it came time to go back in her cage she hopped on my finger too far down to get her other foot on and ended up flying back to the table where her cage was and hopping around and in the door! I’m so thrilled we got to this place already!!!

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...3&d=1530667858

There's the photo I took of her all snuggled down on my finger chilling after her nails were clipped.

I haven't been on in a long time because I have been busy with work, and life, and summer vacations...but I couldn't wait to share this with you guys!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Snitch Steps Up!

Oh my goodness!! She looks so comfortable sitting there. You had to be so excited to have her sit there for so long and then to step up on your finger again. Yeah for little cutie pie Snitch!!

I am happy to see you hear again. I missed your snitch posts but I know how we all get busy sometimes.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Awwwww!!!! That is awesome news!!! She is beautuful!!!!!

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

https://instagram.com/p/Bk0s-sDhTA3/

There’s a link to a photo over my shoulder of her in the back seat, cage secured with a seatbelt, sitting on her top perch watching the trees go by out the window and singing softly when a song she likes comes on. She also says “road trip!” now. So every once in a while my husband or I says “road trip!” and she mimicks it back. She sings ALL DAY LONG at the cottage. It’s so lovely to hear her just giving it her all and loving life so much. We always wonder how her voice doesn’t get worn out from it! I’m going to try out the mosquito net enclosure I bought that is supposed to be for babies but is like 4’ x 2’ x 2’ and I should be able to take her outside in that and not worry about bugs around her and let her really get the good view down by the lake if there’s time when the sun isn’t too hot.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Aww, what a unique and beautiful bird she is! Your idea of the mosquito net is great. Here in America, we have mosquitoes that carry the west Nile virus, and they can bite birds too! This is a bad disease, and can kill birds and humans.

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Yes, Ellen we get those nasty mosquitoes with west Nile up here too, and it was because of them (and I didn’t want her eating any weird bugs) and deer flies and horse flies that are almost as big as her that I wanted to get the netting enclosure for her. I have always been too afraid to just take her cage outside and let them near her. She was a bit freaked out at first but flew around and did this odd fly back and forth without landing thing that she doesn’t have space to do in her cage and doesn’t usually do at home when she is out. I watch her really closely to make sure she doesn’t land on the mesh and get a foot caught or something, but she has been fine. Here’s a pic I took when the sun came out by the lake (right before I moved her to the shade). I put a bowl of water and a bowl of what I call her “treat seed” which is a mix of canary seed, niger seed, millet, sliced almond, rolled oats, unsweetened coconut, perla morbida, flax seed, and whatever else I have around that she likes or is good for her. I give her a tiny bit of that in one dish and her regular canary seed mix in her larger food dish every day so she has variety. She always drops the sliced almonds through the grate after taking the first bite, but in the enclosure she doesn’t lose them so she’s pretty happy about that!
    https://instagram.com/p/Bk3Q4EAhr4J/

She’s currently in that thing inside the cottage next to me laying on the couch watching World Cup and she’s eating broccoli and stopping now and then for a fly around. This is the life!

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

I took a slice of corn on the cob and put it in her cage when we made dinner yesterday and she avoided it for 20 minutes, then slowly hopped closer and closer to it. She took a timid peck at it, then spent the next hour just going at it like I’ve rarely seen her devour food. Looks like we found a new favourite food!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww! That is the cutest pic!!! And I admire you completely for loving her, and getting her to respond to you so well. Quite honestly, I have never read on any posts here on the forum, or even on the web, of a canary being like quite like her. I have always thought they basically sang their songs, and played somewhat, but nothing like she does. I think it is awesome! No matter what folks may say, I am totally sure that birds respond to us and our love by giving it all right back to us!!!!

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

That is so sweet Ellen! Honestly I think I just lucked out when fate brought her to me. My dad was at the cottage with all of us and we were down by the water with her when he arrived. it was his mom who passed away and left her to me. He just looked at me and said “Boy, your Grandma would be so happy to see this.” It made me proud.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

She is so darn cute. I agree she is a very unique little bird who is very much loved and spoiled. I love her outdoor screen.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Well, my belief is that grandma is smiling down on you and Snitch. I know for sure she would love seeing the two of you together, if she were here! But, her Spirit will always be with both of you!!

Remove Ads