Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Hand feeding Budgies Problem! PLEASE I NEED HELP

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hand feeding Budgies Problem! PLEASE I NEED HELP

Hello! I got this 2 3-week old budgies on my care. The smaller (we'll call it A for now) one eats like there's no tomorrow and the other one (we'll call it B) barely eats for 1 day! I'm getting worried I tried tapping its beak and spoon with budgie baby food and he just doesn't want to swallow it. B tried eating some millets even though it just falls in the floor after unsuccessfully trying to eat it. And it even nibbles its own poop I'm really getting worried! B is a little more develop than A. B's crop is so flat and I tried forced feed little by little so atleast he has something in his stomach and he doesn't get stressed. Please help!

B although he hasn't eaten that much for a day he is still lively and somewhat want to go outside the box? He keeps on jumping and wanting to go out!!! Please heeelp!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 1,130 Posts

Re: Hand feeding Budgies Problem! PLEASE I NEED HELP

Hi, and welcome!. Go to a petshop and get a plastic syringe, and try feeding using that instead of the spoon. Being so young as yet, you can give food with the syringe through the side of his mouth. Then you will be sure he ate some. Do not overfeed. Go to YouTube, and search for handfeeding baby budgies. There, you will find great videos to show you how to feed the baby formula with a syringe.

Thanks

What is the temperature of food?? Sometimes bird doesnt wanna eat because its too cold or too hot.
    I think the best temperature is 38-40C ...
    I were handfeeding lovebirds and one of them didnt want to eat when food temperature drop under 37,5C.

+ Check his weight everyday.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

The thing is A has no problem eating it but B has. They are siblings so I thought their preference is the same. I always feed them slightly warm food. God I'm very very paranoid I don't know what else to do!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I have been doing what you said today. It's kinda hardy because B doesn't open its mouth that easily and he doesn't swallow he just let the budgi food stay on the inside of its beak. He did ate a little but Its crop is still flat as hell! This has been the second day I literally panicking!!!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Is it okay if I put mashed potato/fruits and let he budgie 3 week budgie chick eat them?

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 1,130 Posts

I am not sure about either of those items. You could try cooking some oatmeal or cream of wheat. Then, you need to blend it so it is very smooth, and quite thin in consistency. I think potatoes would be pretty heavy, and do not use milk to thin any foods. It has to be pure or boiled water that has cooled to tepid warm. Also, do not overfeed. If too much food is given at once, the food can asperate into the lungs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Layunasinta View Post
    The thing is A has no problem eating it but B has. They are siblings so I thought their preference is the same. I always feed them slightly warm food. God I'm very very paranoid I don't know what else to do!

Those are two different personalities. It doesn't matter if they are siblings from one clutch. One will be eat every food and second will be picky. Let's hope B bird is just picky and will start eating soon.

My question is. Does bird A ask for food? And what the B doing in this moment? Ignoring it? Or asking for food too?
    Where they were before you got them? Were they with parents or someone feed them? If someone were feeding them bird B also doesn't want to eat? Maybe the food is different.
    Do you check bird B weight? It's necessary.
    Are you sure they are 2 3-week? Is there chance that they are older?

For the food you can try mashed boiled eggs, some mashed vegetables and fruits, little bit of millet. Just put it in the bowl and leave in their place. Always need to be fresh food, never leave it for too long. You can also try wet pellets. They are in age of starting exploring cage and trying to eat some things by their own.
    Last edited by DarvinLovebird; 07-08-2018 at 02:39 PM. Reason: typos

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

A asks food everytime I bring food or sometimes when it sees my face. B when it's in its nesting box it sleeps and when I'm not looking I can here it jumping around. Once I panicked because it wasn't in the nesting box! It was on the floor where there are fallen seeds from my adult budgies. When I picked it up and put it in the box later I saw it on top of the box again! It seems to ignore the chick food. When I try putting some on its tongue it doesn't seem to swallow its just literally hanging from its mouth and I tried heating it from room temperature to the hottest a budgie chick can handle. But when i put some seed on his feet he is trying to eat it! If I put a seed on the other side and the chick food on the other side he will go directly to the seed.

Some seeds fall when he tries to crack them but some he was able to eat but I can't see the shell of the seeds and I'm getting worried he ate the seed with the shell.

I'm pretty sure A is 2-3 weeks old but B? From what I searched what its doing must be weaning but weaning should be starting at week 4? So I have my doubts.

Thanks

Maybe B is around 4 weeks ... Since between chicks there may be few days differences, like for example between my recent babies is 5 days difference. Even if its few days, for baby birds its a lot and its big difference in behaviours.

When my birds were trying to eat seeds they also seems to eat seed with shell...
    If you afraid that he eats seeds with shells You can try to give him wet pellets, yet still try to feed him with baby bird formula. You can show him the new food..act like you eat it. Put it near his beak. Maybe he will start eating it from time to time. Its still better than nothing. A bit from you, a bit my himself in cage.
    And as I said in previous post - weight. You need check his weight - if weight loss is too big it's dangerous and it will need vet's control.

Edit: I'm not sure how your feeding look, but did you try to take both of them at once to feeding, so the B will be seeing how A is eating?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you! B is doing well now and more energetic I still can't feed it with chick food but now I just leave fruits and seed and it seems it ok now. I also tried feeding it in front of A but nothing happend.

Question: Is it normal that everytime a budgie (A) sees me it cries and bobs its head? I feed it after every 3 hours but somehow it still isn't enough for A. I try not to overfeed it and only stop when I see the bulge of its crop. But it still cries for food and bites my finger maybe he thought it was also food? Or maybe its angry with me.. lol. Everytime I pick him up to feed him he bites me and its getting stronger and stronger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Layunasinta View Post
    Thank you! B is doing well now and more energetic I still can't feed it with chick food but now I just leave fruits and seed and it seems it ok now. I also tried feeding it in front of A but nothing happend.

Question: Is it normal that everytime a budgie (A) sees me it cries and bobs its head? I feed it after every 3 hours but somehow it still isn't enough for A. I try not to overfeed it and only stop when I see the bulge of its crop. But it still cries for food and bites my finger maybe he thought it was also food? Or maybe its angry with me.. lol. Everytime I pick him up to feed him he bites me and its getting stronger and stronger
    Baby birds should get 10% of their weight, sometimes 12% if its needed.
    My younger baby was always hungry too, even if he got 12% of his weight. Everytime were screaming for food like he were starving.
    I think its normal for some babies. Yesteday I was talking with breeder and he told me about budgies he had and one of his pair had just one baby and somehow baby was only laying on his belly. Wasn't able to get up and stand. Why? Baby was always crying for food so parents overfeed him and he was overweight.

So even if we wanna feed baby more than usually because its crying, better not. 10%-12% of weight - no more.
    If A gain weight, then dont feed him with more food.

Remove Ads