Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Want to grow a vegetable garden for my Cockatiel.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Roy
    Thanks

Want to grow a vegetable garden for my Cockatiel.

Hi all,
    I am thinking of growing a vegetable garden for my Maxie(cockatiel). She loves to eat vegetables like broccoli, tomato. So, the two plants, I am definitely going to grow are the broccoli and the tomatoes. But, I was hoping to grow more vegetables than just the two of them. Something that Maxie would love to have, something that is also good to cook for us.
    Also, I am looking forward to growing a shady vegetable garden if that matters. This is my first time growing one, so any pieces of advice regarding the same would be very much appreciated.
    Does anyone here have any experience in growing a shady garden? Is it possible to have both vegetables and some flowering plants together in a shady garden?
    I know of an ecology center where I can get some good native plant mixes, which I was planning to grow along with the vegetables.
    I would really love to know your suggestions on this.
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Kiara; 07-09-2018 at 10:14 AM. Reason: fixed it for you. Again.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 1,222 Posts

Re: Want to grow a vegetable garden for my Cockatiel.

That is an excellent idea. I used to garden years ago, but am no expert. I think your idea about the ecology center is awesome!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Some herbs grow good in shady areas and they are great for birds. There is a Avian salad mix the sell online and you can grow some of the herbs in the salad in your garden. http://www.twinbeaksaviary.com/herbsalad.html
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Don't want to be a downer, but my vet told me not to feed my bird tomatoes along with avocado's, onion and chocolate. How about carrots and peas? I used to grow veggies along time ago and I was very successful with carrots and peas, even in the shaded areas. It turned out that I was giving away more veggies than me and my husband could possibly eat. We also did the canning thing and it was time consuming and a lot of work. We now just support the local farmers markets.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 1,222 Posts

Surf on over to a website called Cockatiel Cottage. There, you will find a big list of veggies, fruits and other foods a cockatiel can eat, and also a list of foods they should never eat.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Surf on over to a website called Cockatiel Cottage. There, you will find a big list of veggies, fruits and other foods a cockatiel can eat, and also a list of foods they should never eat.
    As a retired farmer, I applause your plan.

Are you familiar with nightshade, alliums and umbellifers? Names can be deceiving.

Tomatoes and their relatives should not be given to captive birds. Even Golden Berries aka ground cherries should not be offered. Although humans can eat the fruit of nightshades, birds cannot. The leaves, stems and vines should not be given to humans or birds. Birds should never be offered potatoes turning green or eggplant.

Under no circumstances should a captive bird be offered onions. Even cooked or frozen alliums are poisonous to birds.

Certain nut shells, i.e. peanut, can cause asprilligus in birds and should be avoided. To be safe, only give your birds shelled, raw, unsalted nuts. Read nut butter ingredients for added sugars and salt.

Certain umbellifers (celeries) are also poisonous. Rhubarb especially, raw, cooked or frozen, will kill captive birds. Fennels and stalk celeries, on the other hand, are totally safe.

Dried beans should be rinsed and sprouted.

MOST herbs and lettuce grown on this continent are safe for birds. Do not feed your bird more than a bite of lceberg lettuce each week.

Please review which plants, foods, and trees are safe or unsafe for captive birds. Follow it or you may be sorry.

Remove Ads