where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Harness training?!?!?!?!?!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Rana
    Thanks

Unhappy Harness training?!?!?!?!?!

Hey everyone! So I just got this conuretwo weeks ago, and I already tamed him and he's very cuddly and loving. However, I want to take him out safely, so I ordered an aviator harness. It's one of those harnesses that wrap around the stomach and loop up to attatch under the wings. There is no head. I don't know what to do about this, since all the training videos have a harness that slips on the head, which seems much easier than an aviator. It's hard to pick him up, since I don't want to stress him. He seemed very calm, so I tried slipping it on. All was well until I put it under his wing and attatched it to one wing. Then, he goes crazy. He keeps pulling at it to get it off, but at the same time, when he gets it off, it seems like he thinks its some sort of game to get it off, but at the same time, he doesn't like it. I'm not sure if I should try to get it on, and just take him outside so he learns that he gets to go outside (He's never been out before). I don't want him to hate me after that, but I also want to share the outdoors with him. I saw this video, where the bird was obviously stressed by the harness, but would be happy when it went outside. One of the comments compared it to a dog; dogs hate harnesses too, but the owner just slips it on so that the dog can enjoy the outdoors. Any help?

Mickey's Mom Baby Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Re: Harness training?!?!?!?!?!

I bought one of those harnesses, tried it on my bird, and then threw it away. It was a pain to put on the bird, as you are aware. Plus it stresses the bird so much. And, I worry about how it would affect the feathers. I couldn't bear the thought of those feather quills in the bird's skin getting stressed. It's not like us putting on tight clothes. Finally, I worried about what might happen if the bird did jump from my shoulder or wherever I was carrying him. I'd hate to see my bird dangling from a leash.

Well, those are my thoughts about it. Hopefully, someone else has had a better experience.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Janay (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

My daughter has one for Tikki and he calms down after getting it on but he does not move around when it is on so no doubt it makes him feel very restrained. She walks around outside and he just sits there without cheeping or moving. It is almost as if he thinks he cannot move so just freezes up. She really has not tried it on much and now is thinking about getting him a small bird backpack for him.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Mickey's Mom Baby Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Oh, some things I want to mention.

First, and foremost: make sure that you do not even start taking your conure outdoors until he is well-trained to stay with you - on your shoulder or hand. If he is not completely obedient about staying on you like glue, don't even attempt to take him outdoors. There are too many things outdoors that might spook him.

Second, and in my opinion: Make sure his flight feathers are trimmed. If he does get spooked despite all your efforts to train him to stay with you, he won't be able to go far. It's a real heartbreaking experience to see your beloved bird suddenly fly off and never be seen by you again. I still have nightmares about when my husband's cockatiel that he had for many years suddenly flew away when he brought her outdoors. That was 46 years ago and it still hurts.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Janay (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Remove Ads