Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Lovebird bonded with plastic budgie

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Lovebird bonded with plastic budgie

Soo yea my male lovebird was a rescue bird, not sure of his age. I was always planning to get him a companion but in the meantime i bought a plastic bugie that he now humps and feeds (not always in that order lol. The problem is now that i got a rescue centre female. She`s a cutie lol. He`s still more interested in the plastic one. And he chases peaches around and nips at her and sometime stops her feeding. She seems scared of him but they`ve bathed together and he doesn't hurt her. My main question is how is kiwi likely to respond if i remove the toy bird and break that bond? I`ve had kiwi around 18 months, the plastic bird over a year, and peaches (the female lovie) 2 weeks tomorrow. Their both out of their cages most of the day. Thanks for reading

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jo
    Thanks

Re: Lovebird bonded with plastic budgie

In fact these are 2 completely different things. First, the toy. Don't worry about that. If you'll take it away, that's fine. Out of sight, out of mind. It's not the same kind of bond they have with a partner. In the same way, a bond between birds is not exactly the same like a bond like humans experience it. One of the most important parts of a bond between those birds, is social hierarchy. That's by far more important than following instincts (like mating and feeding).

Social hierarchy is also vital between him and the new bird. Obviously I have no idea how they are dealing with each other, but if they get enough opportunities they are equal to each other, everything is possible. But before anything can happen, she has to feel/be safe around him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by furiousg View Post
    Soo yea my male lovebird was a rescue bird, not sure of his age. I was always planning to get him a companion but in the meantime i bought a plastic bugie that he now humps and feeds (not always in that order lol. The problem is now that i got a rescue centre female. She`s a cutie lol. He`s still more interested in the plastic one. And he chases peaches around and nips at her and sometime stops her feeding. She seems scared of him but they`ve bathed together and he doesn't hurt her. My main question is how is kiwi likely to respond if i remove the toy bird and break that bond? I`ve had kiwi around 18 months, the plastic bird over a year, and peaches (the female lovie) 2 weeks tomorrow. Their both out of their cages most of the day. Thanks for reading
    LOL funniest thing I have read all week. Sorry no disrespect

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ali9021 View Post
    LOL funniest thing I have read all week. Sorry no disrespect
    I agree. HAHA

What is your new lovie's age. I ask because the male has obviously reached sexual maturity. All the behaviors you describe are hormonal and am curious how the new female will respond. The plastic budgie does not struggle against his advances while the new lovie will.

Remove the toy as it encourages his hormonal mating behavior. The new lovebird may be resisting even seem fearful of his hormonal behavior.

At this point, it's about controlling his hormonal behavior. After removing the object of his affection, be prepared for him to "hump" toys, you, his cage, perches or most anything. Many of the behaviors you see now will either stop or be transferred elsewhere.

Your job is to keep him from hurting the young female. Assumedly, she is in a quarantine situation right now, but it doesn't sound like it. If not, allow her a familiarity period and ssslllooowwwlllyyy move the cages closer together. By the time the familiarity period ends, his hormonal behavior will be over.

By not quarantining, you're putting your flock at risk. The point of origin, wellness exams there, looks, etc. don't matter. Once there has been contact, it's usually too late. Any new bird including breeder babies must be quarantined before meeting another bird or flockmember!

Remove Ads