Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Introducing little Smokey Bear

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Introducing little Smokey Bear

Hi all, I have not yet posted that I got a baby cockatiel a couple of weeks ago when I returned Mickey Anaya to the store because she was henpecking little Wolfie. I had told Jeff when I picked up the new baby that I would return it if it was female and he was okay with that. Well, Smokey Bear is MALE!! So, he's a keeper!

When I went to the store to return Mickey, I was very surprised that Jeff just got in some new babies to hand feed. I selected one. He turned out to be a whitefaced pearl and he's a sweetie. I was so worried about the gender that I couldn't even give the baby a name until a few days ago. Then I got the news I was hoping for - that he's a male. He and Wolfie get along great!

This little tyke, just barely a month old, is perching, flying and climbing. His clutch mates just barely got out of the brooder box and don't even know how to do any of that.

I named him Smokey because of his coloring. And I also call him Smokey Bear because from day 1 he's been attached to the teddy bear that Jeff sent him home with.

I hope I posted these photos okay. If not, check out my album titled Smokey Bear.

Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Introducing little Smokey Bear

Awww! Congrats on bringing home Smokey!! I love the pics, especially the one of the two of them with you! We will watch for updates!

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I now have a real 'family' of fids. These birds are all so wonderful. I went to Jeff's store today to buy a different type of play stand for Benny Francis and I was just gushing with happiness telling Jeff about how wonderful Smokey and Wolfie get along.

Smokey Bear did something cute today. He and Wolfie were calling me to give them baby formula. I made the formula, brought both crying birds to the kitchen to feed them, and the only one to eat was Wolfie. Smokey Bear is now fully weaned and what he did was cry for formula for his buddy Wolfie. Later, when they were both on my shoulder, Smokey preened Wolfie's crest. It was just a great change from how Mickey used to henpeck poor Wolfie.
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

He is a little cutie!! I am happy he gets along with Wolfie as well. Too bad he didn't teach silly Wolfie to wean off of the formula.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

LOL. I think he's actually encouraging Wolfie not to wean, at least for now.

By the way, Wolfie's going to the avian vet on Monday. This doctor is pretty renowned in his profession. I'm traveling over 125 miles to bring Wolfie to him. I might bring Smokey to keep Wolfie company for the trip.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I hope this vet will be of help to Wolfie!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I hope so too, Ellen. I've invited my friend's 9 year old daughter to go with us to the vet's office. I used to babysit her and I thought it would be a great way to spend some one on one time with her. She gets bullied by her older sister and her little sister tries to grab all the attention. Not easy being a middle child.

I'll let you know what the doctor says about little Wolfie - and maybe he'll have something to say about Smokey Bear. Oh, and Wolfie has started something new. When Smokey is hungry for formula, they both call me. Smokey comes to me crying for food, and Wolfie just wants to stay in the cage. He's just being a good big brother, so it seems.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I hope that behavior continues! Lolol. It is neat you are taking the little girl with you. How sad she is being bullied. Honestly, this current generation has behaviors that simply blow my mind. I was an only child, and had only one child myself. But I know for sure my son would have never been a bully to anyone! I am sure this little girl will have a fab time with you!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

We had a great time! After the vet visit, I took Sofia to the mall and told her to go to any store and get anything she wanted. She picked out a cute dress and several adorable rompers at one store. Then she got some fun stuff at the Justice kid's store. We went to her mom's office to find out if anyone might be at home when I dropped her off. She ended up staying at her mom's office and had fun with all the things she got. I love that little girl. I wish I could still be taking care of her and her sisters, but she lives too far away from me and that's a problem for me with my health the way it is.

By the way, her mom is the surgeon who did my hysterectomy using the surgical robot. Her mom is the foremost expert in robotic surgery here in the Coachella Valley. I told mom (who's obviously a good friend of mine) that I never had a friend delve so deeply into me, LOL.

And, regarding Smokey Bear accompanying Wolfie to the doctor, doctor said Smokey is great physically.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!!! You had a GREAT time!!!! Sooooo cool!!!!!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I'm kind of looking forward to Smokey losing his 'girl pearls'. I think if he does lose them he'll really look like his name implies.

Remove Ads