Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Frantic flying

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Frantic flying

I got a female cockatiel roughly 2 months ago, and she’s very tame. She’ll always fly up to me when out of the cage and loves head scratches. But in the recent couple of days, she’s been flying around the room, then sitting down somewhere, then flying again, going on like this back and forth from my shelf to the top of her cage usually until I put her back in the cage. She also flies very fast, so a few times she has crashed into the window or a wall, falling to the ground, and this obviously really scares me. She acts as if she’s startled when she starts doing this, but I don’t understand as I can’t ever notice anything that could’ve scared her. My only thought is that it could be that she sees birds outside of the window, but I doubt this is the case because she often starts her frantic flying the moment i let her out of the cage.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 1,222 Posts

Re: Frantic flying

Hi Noelle and welcome to the community. All birds love to fly of course, but it seems to me that something she heard, perhaps even outside, such as the birds you mentioned, or something she saw, caused her to take unusual flights. If it were me, I would pull all blinds and or curtains when she is out, and also, if you have wall mirrors or others she can see, cover them as well.

Since we soon will be in the month of August, it also could be her hormones, because August through October, are months that cockatiels often breed. They also have an uptake of hormones in the springtime. If it is her hormones, you may also see other behavior changes. Sometimes they get aggressive, wanting to bite you, or using toys for sexual behaviors. Being a hen, she may also spend time on cage floor, taking newspapers or paper towels if you use them on cage bottom, and try building a nest. Do not buy a nestbox or nest for her. Let her use the cage bottom for her nesting urges, because if at all possible you do not want her to start laying eggs. And nests encourage egg laying.p Also, do not touch her body other than her head and top of head. At hormone time, touching them will increase hormone activity. Do you know how old she is? Hormone activity usually begins in a hen at about 9-12 months of age, although it can be sooner.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-23-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you for the reply and tips! I’ll keep all of this in mind

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I’ve tried closing the curtains, but she still does it, and i don’t have any mirrors in my room either. I also doubt it’s the hormones, because she’s only about 3-4 months old. I really don’t see any reason for her to do this other than exercice, but I really don’t think that’s it

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I'd like to thank you for the shared recommendations! Seeing and observing birds outside of the window is a real enjoyment for me!
    Last edited by Kiara; 09-07-2018 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Here. fixed that for you

Remove Ads