Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Is Snitch playing with me?

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Is Snitch playing with me?

I donít want to anthropomorphise her, but I am pretty sure this girl is playing games with me. I have my laptop open with a Netflix show on while I clean her cage most days and I let her out because cleaning the bars tends to get her riled up. Instead of staying on the perch by the window she flew over to the table while I was cleaning and hopped over behind my laptop. She poked her head around one side and I stuck my finger out to her to see if she would hop up again. She ran behind the laptop and came out on the other side. I did this with her 5 or 6 times and then went back to drying a perch I was cleaning. When I didnít react to her she squawked at me like ďhello?Ē and every time I didnít react by sticking my finger toward her she would make a noise at me. Iím pretty sure she was egging me on (pun intended) to chase her! We played that game for a while and then I got her back in her cage. Every time she is out we do get at least a minute where she will sit on my finger and usually I sing to her or blow on her or give her a little pet with my finger. Some days itís brief but some days we really spend a good amount of time like that.
    She also screams at me when I put her veggies in and itís not the same thing she got last time if it was something she loves (I always get angry bird if I give her corn then take it away). The other day my husband Dave made a single cob of corn just so we could give her some. I was so disappointed because I thought he was making some for me! She has quite clearly established a monarchy in this household.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,246 Times in 1,245 Posts

Re: Is Snitch playing with me?

All lovebirds and other specie of parrots are very infelligent. I have no doubt that she sure is playing with you and loving every minute of it!!!! That is soooo cool!!

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

That's funny, she really is interacting with you, which is awesome. Even better is you realize it and know the more important thing is the time playing. Meaning so many people would get irritated because they wanted to finish the chore of cleaning, thus ignore or say demeaning things to the bird, just so they could complete the cleaning. They miss the most important part which is the interaction with this little creature, which is everything. So what go back to cleaning in 15 minutes when the bird is over the play time. Oh by the way, I do something that speeds up what your doing and works very well. Start your cleaning with the perches first. Take them out, go to a sink, use a sponge with the heavy cleaning part on one side. Run the water in the sink and scrub all the perches. When done, wipe them with a paper towel and set them in a window sill where the sun hits them. No go and clean the cage. When you done cleaning the cage the perches will be dry and the sun really helps kill anything, no chemicals ever needed.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

She is one special little bird. I love how she is not following the rules that a normal canary has. Instead she is a happy little people bird... Also a very spoiled little bird.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Yes that is how I clean her cage usually - top of the cage lift off and place it with paper towel under and I take the bird out first then the perches and wash them. Then I clean the bars (corn is the WORST for little bits sticking even to the ceiling in there!!) then I put the perches back in and then I have to put her back in while I go down to clean the cage bottom in the laundry sink because I canít leave her out without supervision.

I feel like once we crossed that threshold of her sitting on my finger once weíve been making leaps and bounds in our relationship. Kind of like how she cowers for 15 minutes looking at a new food but once she gets the courage to take a bite she devours it!

There is nothing - no chore I wouldnít put off to play with her if she is in the mood. I canít let her out to play every day but when I do I make sure I have lots of time to interact and observe her and that is why weíre buddies now! Also why I notice something slightly off like her sinus infection last year. Theyíre such delicate and subtle little creatures that if you donít pay attention closely you could miss so much!

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Ellen I sometimes call her my little love bird or chicken. Itís true that she is not like most canaries though, Deanna - just like I am a bit of an eccentric human - we both march to the beat of our own drums for sure!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I think it's great both of you are differant. I raised my daughter telling her to be unique and different. To me it is just showing your true self to everyone. It's so cute Snitch is different and it proves even tiny birds can be like all the other pet birds.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

I don't know where the term "Bird Brain" comes from but no matter, it does fit us bird people. We really are a different breed. I haven't ever met a "Normal", if there is such a thing, bird person. We're generally more observant, and sensitive to many things, as well as definitely think and act outside the box. We played a game at a bird show, the evening after the show, with about 10 people. Everyone too a turn telling stories like the one you shared about Snitch and playing. After about the third person and story we were all rolling in laughter. It became apparent, that we all were completely nuts. The stories were all great, but the underlying realization was about how the event started and proceeded and could have never occurred if it wasn't for the bird brained person or completely nuts-oh person we all appear to be. We had just come to a conclusion that we were indeed a strange and unusual lot and settled back into some more stories, when one of the people daughter, who is not a bird person, but was just there to be with here Mom, and she sat down with us. As the stories continued, I noticed her face and the complete look of, OK picture someone who just smelled something really bad and the face they'd make, that's the face she was making. I interrupted the story and pointed out the face she was making and her response was: Quote: "You know you guys are completely off your rockers, you're not right in the head". No a dry eye remained as we all fell into a full out, fall out of your chair laughing session. Take pride in being different, and honor in being special and unique. Plus its safer, normal or stiff people will avoid you, win win

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Oh I agree completely! Iíd much rather enjoy the oddities life has to offer than live a boring life. Thereís a line in a song that I love that says ďperfection screams a lack of adventureĒ and a quote I live by ďwell behaved women rarely make history.Ē I tend to be guided by those types of sentiments. I like to think Iím raising my bird to be like me, too. lol

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Rudi you might be onto something.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Feel free to anthropomorphise anytime!

Remove Ads