Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: first attempt at letting Indie come out of cage.. didnt go as hoped...

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Taylor
    Thanks

Question first attempt at letting Indie come out of cage.. didnt go as hoped...

So the other day I decided to let my budgie, Indie come out for the first time. I just opened his cage and went back to what I was doing to let him come out as he pleased. my living room has a big sliding glass door so I pulled the curtains on that that way if he came out he wouldn't fly into it. It was really weird though because he wasn't acting like himself. He was just really scared and shaking. So I though maybe opening the door is to much for him right now. (He had never been touched before I got him and we have been doing really well on bonding and he comes to my hand when I put it in his cage with food or millet, he always sings all day long and bobs his head at me a lot and seems to always want my attention) but when I had the curtain closed and his cage open he just wasn't acting like himself and not singing, not even with his favorite song, which typically works no matter what mood hes in. I closed his cage to see if that's what it was. But he was still acting the same way. I opened the curtain up and he went back to his happy self in an instant. singing with me, wanting to be around me and just super happy. I guess he did not like the curtain being closed but the problem is my goal is for him to eventually be outside of his cage with me like anytime I'm home and I'm too scared to let him out with the curtain not closed for obvious reasons, So I really don't know how I should go about this situation. What can I do to maybe make him more comfortable with the curtain being closed or I really don't know. I was thinking it the reason he didn't like the curtain being closed because its quite a bit darker in here. Any advice, questions, suggestions comments are very much appreciated!!!!!! thanks everyone!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,139 Posts

Re: first attempt at letting Indie come out of cage.. didnt go as hoped...

Time and patience are on your side. All birds have ambivelance towards different things in our homes. In my view, the best approach for the curtain scare, is to take him in your bedroom or a small room. Then let him exp!ore that small area first, each day. Also, use colorful curtains. My budgie, Muffin, will soon be 7 years old. When he came to my home, he was totally afraid of any dark colors, curtains,dark colored blankets, any dark colored or black clothes I wore. To this very day he has the same reaction to them. So I worked to put lighter colored curtains in the windows, and try to prevent frightening him as best I can.

I think if you can bond with him by using a smaller area for out of cage time, and if necessary, change curtain colors, and try to keep bright colored items around him, that will help tremendously.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Taylor
    Thanks

Re: first attempt at letting Indie come out of cage.. didnt go as hoped...

oh yes thank you! my curtains are a bit on the dark side. And next time we will start out in my bedroom!! thanks again!!!!

Remove Ads