where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tamed 5/6 week old budgie goes at the highest place in the House

Banned Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Tamed 5/6 week old budgie goes at the highest place in the House

Quote Originally Posted by gimaal View Post
    I was not responding to you or what you wrote. You were one of many who responded to the initial post and some of those posts were emphatic and categorical about wing clipping.
    I have no problem responding to you. There is a reason this is such a controversial topic.
    Flight feathers do grow back...in several months! Of course, there is always the option of pulling out those flight feathers, clipped or not, so they'll grow back faster.
    If you must clip to train, then I say, don't train! Over and over I see birds that were clipped to make them more controllable. The result was a less confident and timid bird afraid of humans.

Banned Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jenana View Post
    I'm sorry but I'm not going into a yes or no game. I don't represent a pro-clipping pressure-group, I only tried to say that a good balance between safety and freedom is MY priority. In the end, we can win a lot on safety by properly training our lovebird, by adjusting our own habits, and so on. But in the beginning it's pretty unsafe to give our bird too much freedom. Some people have the luxury to keep their birds in a dedicated bird room where it's safe to fly around and where they are still able to train them, but I never had that chance, and I have the idea that in the case of Layunasinta that's not the case.
    I'm sorry about your financial situation, but if you can't PROPERLY care for your bird(s), don't get any. Instead, maybe a plastic budgie or stuffed parrot is best for now until you can. You may be the world's greatest bird person. I don't know. What I do know is this:
    If wishes were fishes, we'd never go hungry.
    I'm not part of an anti-clipping pressure group! I just know what I see and experience. Too often, people get birds without realizing what they're getting themselves into. Our pets become our responsibilities. We are obligated to care for them properly or not get any at all. That may mean allowing a bird to be a bird.

Banned Brand New Egg
    Thanks

BTW, despite what you may have heard, you CAN believe everything you read on the internet. HAHA

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chloemom View Post
    Clipping is a controversial subject for a good reason. It's instinctual for a bird to find the highest perch possible to avoid predators. YOU are a predator! Eye placement and hands are signs to all birds that you are. Clipping a bird's wings is a human attempt to override these basic instincts as a control method.
    I'm sorry about your tragedies but they were not the birds' faults. We tend to make our birds suffer for our shortcomings and even use those as an excuse. "It's better for them." Is it? It's better for us.
    A good clip, show clip or bad clip is still a clip. Size doesn't matter. Instinct does._
    Another important thing to remember is that a bird living in a human house is not normal. It's a convenience for us to even house the birds in our homes. Their natural instincts induce them to fly high and far - farther than they can possibly fly in a house. Even a very short natural flight outdoors is a far, far greater distance for a bird.

My personal experience has shown that my clipped birds still are fully able to fly all around my house and thoroughly enjoy themselves. This is because they get an excellent diet and their pectoral muscles are very strong from using their wings in home.

I'm very happy to keep my birds clipped. The birds are happy, too. They show it in the ways they interact with me - voluntarily. Even my sparrows learned to speak.

We humans would more than likely do better in an open-air setting than in houses like they are now. You're very fortunate to have a wonderful place to live, Leslie. It sounds so appealing! I'm in an apartment with concrete outside my door. Duh on me! So, I have to adapt and if I keep birds, it's my responsibility to keep them safe.

Yes, the tragedies were not the birds' faults. But, there have been NO tragedies ever again since I began to clip flight feathers.
    You can't expect a bird to express his natural instincts in an alien environment like a human home. They run into 'roadblocks' when they try to do what's instinctual in our homes.

It's nice that we have the forum to agree to disagree!! Love ya, Leslie!
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jenana View Post
    I also agree with this. With domesticated birds, we have to find a balance between safety and freedom. Clipping some flight feathers will keep than safe(r), and in some cases a bird can enjoy his freedom much more. F.i. with my birds, when their flight feathers are clipped, it means that I can take them outside, I don't have to chase them as much because they are somewhere I don't like it and so on.

I don't even think there is a reliable way to train birds not to go up somewhere high in a room. Keep in mind, every time they do this, they are rewarded by sitting there and by enjoying sitting there. I'm pretty sure they prefer to sit there over anything they can eat. You can try to make those high places less interesting (f.i. with aluminium foil or plastic bags) but that doesn't always work.
    I thoroughly agree with you, Jo. Totally and completely agree with your wisdom, sir!
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Remove Ads