Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: About Kissing your Bird

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

About Kissing your Bird

I just found out something about birds that I never knew. Dr. Larry Nemetz, a renowned and passionate avian vet, gave me the latest handout on bird care when I brought Wolfie in for his checkup.

In the handout he discusses how birds have predominantly gram positive organisms that make up normal avian flora. Humans have predominantly gram negative organisms. He says this is why mouth to mouth kissing of your bird is not wise due to the possible transmission of pathogenic bacteria. In other words, we can possibly make our birds very sick if we kiss them.

Just thought I'd pass that along.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: About Kissing your Bird

Yep. I have read that as well.Thanks Pat.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Alyssa Ritchi
    Thanks

Wow! I had no idea about this. I can't say it doesn't make sense. It does make me a little sad lol my bird loves to give me kisses! Thank you for the info

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

You're welcome. I still kiss my bird, but I'm now more careful about how I do it.
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I kiss birds too.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Thanks

Its can be said with every beign. If you kiss dog there is possible transmission of pathogenic bacteria, if you kiss human there is possible transmission of pathogenic bacteria, if you kiss cat, guinea pig, etc etc.

I will still kiss my birds, or more its like they come to me and kiss/bite my lips so I just cant say "no" to them. Yet, we need to be careful with our birds. For example when I need cough or sneeze I just leave their room or go out side to do that

Name
    Alyssa Ritchi
    Thanks

I feel better knowing I am not the only one to kiss their bird! I definitely don't when I am sick, I do my best to keep my distance from her when I am. Husband will change food and water for me.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

I think there's a difference between kissing, and gentle pecking

Sam presses his beak up against us and blows kissy noises - in fact he's done this with the nurses - I think if he tried to bite at our lips or stick his head in our mouth (we had a budgie years ago who was obsessed with trying to get to our teeth!) then that would be different.

But yes, when I have sneezes, I stay away, and make hubby clean

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I have something new to add to this thread today, LOL. We're talking about us kissing our birds, right?
    Well, this morning I reached over to baby Benny Francis' toy box and he leaned in to give me several sweet, gentle kisses and a big, big snuggly hug. I am so happy I got that baby bird!! Who cares about germs - at least at times.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

A kiss that involves the transmission of saliva is what is generally discussed. Dr. Nemetz is not the first to address this topic. Saliva tranference may even include the sharing of food with your bird. You alone can decide the extent of your kisses. The majority of kisses include the head or upper beak. This seldom involves saliva exchange. Unless your "frenching" your bird, letting it chew the plaque off your teeth or clean chewed food remnants, there's probably no real danger.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chloemom View Post
    A kiss that involves the transmission of saliva is what is generally discussed. Dr. Nemetz is not the first to address this topic. Saliva tranference may even include the sharing of food with your bird. You alone can decide the extent of your kisses. The majority of kisses include the head or upper beak. This seldom involves saliva exchange. Unless your "frenching" your bird, letting it chew the plaque off your teeth or clean chewed food remnants, there's probably no real danger.
    Very true, Leslie. No, I trust that Dr. Nemetz is not the first to address this, however, he's the doc we visit. I love the way you explain forms of kissing. I remember hearing of kids getting their budgies to put their heads in the kids' mouths. That's terrible for the birds and the kids. Ugh.

Now I have a problem, LOL. Little baby Benny Francis is now returning my kisses, and he's touching my lips with his tongue. Oh my, that little guy! I'm not 'frenching' him. He's frenching me! I'll have to help him to learn the proper way to kiss, for sure. Fortunately, I do not let him touch my teeth, nor do I give him any food from my mouth.

Before reading that article by Dr. Nemetz, I had been inclined to 'share' food I was eating with my birds, letting them take it from my mouth. Not any more! I'm really glad you brought up that particular point. Thanks!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

HAHA That's funny! Your bird "frenching" you! My latest charge Daytona tries fighting with me by biting my lips. His previous owner probably encouraged that. Stopping him from "frenching" me is hard. HAHA It's kinda nice in an odd way that mine are not the only struggles!

Remove Ads