where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: feather loss around eyes and beak

Name
    Alyssa Ritchi
    Thanks

Unhappy feather loss around eyes and beak

Hi all,

I have a brown headed african parrot. She is 22 years old. I have noticed recently that it looks like the feathers are around her eyes have "thinned." Like she is losing them. It's more around one eye than the other. It also looks like she may be losing feathers at the very front of her head, right by her beak. I know that her type of bird generally lives to 20. I am a little concerned that this may be the first sign of age? or illness? I know losing her is inevitable. I will still be lost without her. We have been together since I was 8 years old.

Thanks.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: feather loss around eyes and beak

Wished I could help you with your girl but it would be a guess. I would call the vet to see if they is common or not as they age. Maybe a spray with some pure aloe Vera in it would help her skin and feathers as well. Harrison's use to make a spray called rain for birds which I think might now be called sooth. Or like we do just use some pure organic aloe in a bottle a mix a little bit with water. Its ok for them to preen afterwards because the aloe is good for them. Our avian vet has a special medicated bath she gives to the birds and it stopped Boomer from plucking and helped make Tikki quit barbing his wing feathers. Maybe your vet has this as well.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Alyssa Ritchi
    Thanks

Thank you, I will look into those things and definitely give her vet a call. I never thought of looking into sprays to help with her feathers. That is a good idea.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 1,247 Posts

If it were me, I would be cautious of spraying oils on my bird. If you decide to use oil, be sure to put just a few drops of the oil mixed with plenty of tepid water in the spray bottle, and shake well, before spraying. Just water only spray should help. Try spritzing a few times a day.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

How long has this feather thinning been happening?? It may simply be a molt. Before putting any oil on her body, you might simply try gently stroking her head with a wet washcloth. I do that to my birds occasionally. It's kind of soothing to them, too. And, if there are any irritants on her skin, that might help to reduce them.

Ellen is giving you good advice on cautioning you about oils.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Pure Aloe isn't a oil. We just use pure organic aloe and mix a little bit usually in a bowl of water for a bath or in a spray bottle. It has never left a residue on Tikki. He also gets a drop of red palm oil everyday which is great for there skin and feathers from the inside out.

Name
    Alyssa Ritchi
    Thanks

I haven't yet sprayed anything on her. I haven't found anything yet and just haven't searched online. Obviously I am not going to spray just anything on her, I planned on doing research on whatever I could find. My vet did say that aloe (diluted with water) is harmless. I am not entirely sure how long the thinning has been happening, I don't think it is her molting. Hard to explain how it looks. I have contacted her vet, she is away for a week but she is going to call me back when she returns. Hopefully everything will be fine. Other than the feathers she seems to be in good health. No other issues. Figures crossed its nothing.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy you called your vet about it. I really have never heard of birds feathers thinning around there eyes before and hopefully it ends up to be nothing.

Remove Ads