Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Parakeet wing fell out?!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Parakeet wing fell out?!

I was cleaning my birds cage and noticed she had a few long feathers in with small tuffs of feathers. When i got her out shetried to fly and fell down right away which is odd because even with clipped wings she is able to fly around the kitchen two times before dropping. When i looked at her wings the left side had the long feather missing and it is now short and exposes her back. The right one is perfectly fine but im concerned. How did this happen and is she going to grow them back? I dont want her to not be able to fly for the rest of her life.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,168 Posts

Re: Parakeet wing fell out?!

How old is she? If less than a year old, she could be having a molt, and losing her feathers. Did a vet clip her wing flights? It does take time for them new flights to grow back. Hopefully they will. It will take some time though, perhaps a few weeks.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I agree with Ellen. Sounds like a molt. It's hard to say without seeing the bird, but that's how a bird can molt. Have you ever seen a bird in molt before? Sometimes they look pretty ragged. Even after all the years of experience I've had with birds, I really thought that my Indian Ringneck was sick once when he was just going through a molt. He looked awful, LOL. But, he was perfectly fine and happy.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Shes always shedding so its hard to tell if shes molting. She was a baby when i got her but they didnt know how old. Just that her tail feather was ragged looking like a baby birds. Ever since she got her tail feather shes been leaving piles after piles of feathers behind. The vet said its just a cause of her being healthy that shes growing her feathers fast and shedding. Ill try to get a picture of her wing, when the vet cuts them her only cuts the underside, and leaves the side,long feather to not make it pretty looking. Is it normal for a parakeet to molt for months then? Cause it seems like shes always molting.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

I'm pleased to hear that you've seen a vet since if it were anything serious, like French molt, your vet would have identified it already.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Budgies should molt twice a year. It is not normal for them to molt for months. Something is wrong.

I'd like to just mention a couple of things that you might consider.
    First that comes to my mind: Diet. What are you feeding your budgie? They need not only seed mix or pellets, whichever you might be using, but they also need fresh fruits and veggies. When I began working at a major pet store as manager of the specialty department, almost all of the birds were dying. I began to make them a special salad once a week. It consisted of dark green leafy veggies, squash, carrots, kale, and a grated fruit, such as apple, mango or papaya. The birds made a remarkable recovery.

**One particular bird was a male Red Bishop Finch. I had one at home and there was one at the store. This type of finch goes through an amazing color change every season. Off-season, he looks like a sparrow. In-season he's vivid black and red. My finch went through his molt quickly. The store finch was stuck in his molt for a couple of months until I started feeding him the salad I made. He then very quickly recovered and completed his molt. **

Other thing that comes to mind: Was your vet an avian vet? Did your vet look for parasites? Mites can cause itching and that affects feathers.

I hope this helps you.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I havent been able to get her to eat veggies or fruits, she avoids them if i put them in her cage. However last night i tried putting some lettuce in her food bowl and she was nibbling on it. I heard they couldnt eat anything but organic fruits and veggies which is hard since where i live there is no type of ‘organic’ sales. The person i saw wasnt really and avian vet, he only clips the wings, cleans the beaks and trims the nails on birds. The vet we have here isnt an avian vet, i havent seen them in a while actually since she seemed fine, and i dont have money to spend. Anytime i take her to a vet they say shes not sick and shes fine. Its just the last time i saw the guy when we got her wings clipped he said it was normal for her to be shedding like that. So its not ok for her to be shedding feathers for months?? Now im quite worried! I dont know what to do. The only vet her is either the one with little avian training or the guy who just cleans the birds.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I have homed budgies for many years. There are many things that can cause loss of feathers. First of importance is the diet and seeds or pellets they eat. Personally, I do not feed pellets, but prefer a good seed mix, with very little fillers other than the seeds and vitamins in the mix. With veggies, the caregiver has to be dedicated to feeding them every single day. Pat's recipe sounds great! You also can take a food chopper or food processor and create your own mix. You also can take an ice cube tray and fill each cube with the fresh mix you make. Pop the tray into the freezer, and each morning, take a cube and thaw it, and put some of the mix in a separate cup, and also in a small bowl or on a small plate and feed each day. Fresh foods should be removed from cage after about 2 hours max.

Also, whern budgies get frighterned, they can and oftern do lose feathers. Temperature changes in the home can also cause feather loss. Dry skin too! Take a spritz bottle and fill with luke warm water, and spritz her a few times a week. Be sure to not spray water in eyes.

Cover the cage three sides with front open with a small light weight blanket or sheet, during day time, when it is very hot weather and you run the air conditioner, or, in cold winter when they can get drafts at both times of the year. Drafts can cause feather loss and illness.

Over the years, the budgies I have owned will often lose a few feathers now and then, for reasons I shared here. And molts generally are at about 6 months and a year. Try a better diet, and see if you notice less feather loss. And further, if you do not feed pellets, get a bottle of birdy vitamins at the pet store, and put a few drops in the seed mix cup, not in the water cup, about once every ten days or so. They will help the skin and feathers.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-27-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

https://instagram.com/p/BlwFq8nAj_y/
    Here are pictures of what her wings look like right now.
    https://instagram.com/p/BlwI3ykggqY/
    Last edited by Midnightfurwuvsu2; 07-27-2018 at 04:39 PM.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

They are beautifui budgies!!! It looks to me like their wings were clipped before you got them, and they are growing back slowly. Clipping will cause feather loss on the wing, and I think the feeling of clipped feathers causes a bird to pick more on the wings, and that causes more feathers to fall out. It will take a few weeks or months for them to grow back completely. Did the Vet say anything to you about the wings being clipped?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

When i first got her 13 months ago, the guy who clips the birds wings now said that someone at petco had just sliced off her wing diagonally all the way up. They didnt do it like how to bird guy does it. He said it was a sloppy job and that she wasnt able to fly properly because of it. She grew her wings back after a few months and he said to let them come back in fully before he’ll clip them properly. So thats what we did. I waited until she was able to fly around the house and until her wings were back to normal before letting the guy clip them properly. He said itll prevent her from flying for a little but she should be fine and that she can still pick up flight since her under feathers help her to do so. I never had a problem with clipping because she was still able to fly when they were clipped. Is the wing loss a consequence of previous clipping?? Also what fruits/veggies do i feed her? Im not certain what to give her besides lettuce.
    Also thank you, i thought she looks like a tiny snow owl and she is very eye catching, one of the reasons i spotted her at petco.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

From what I have read about clipping, I feel that your budgie could have permanent wing damage from the first clip at Petco, due to how shoddy the clip was. If possible, and if it were me, I would not do anymore clipping for the long term. Wait a few months and see how her wing flight feathers and other wing feathers grow out during that time, and observe her flying ability. Maybe at her annual hard mo!t, the feathers may all be replaced, as that is what happens in an annual molt, and her wing feathers will be in good shape, and she will regain normal flight.

I know the concern and frustration you have in this regard. I have purchased budgies at both Petsmart and Petco! And when I get them into their new cage home, and look at their wings, it makes me angry, to think someone who has no clue how to clip just cuts them staight across!! Ugh!!! It is terrible!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-29-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

When feeding veggies, it takes time and patience. They need to be fed every day. Avoid, kale, broccoli, and parsley, and any cabbage family veggies. None of these should ever be fed to budgies because they have a phyto chemical in them that can cause esophagal tumors in budgies. A few years ago, I had a budgie die, and researched on line to find the symptoms he had. I found a vet site that told about the cabbage fsmily veggies, and I have no doubt that is why my budgie died.

Otherwise, you can feed other fresh veggies, frozen ones that you thaw, or even dehydrated. All, except lettuce should be chopped in fine, small pieces, either with a food processor, or food chopper. It takes time for them to learn to eat them, but you need to feed a small amount each day. Put some in a separate seed cup, and sprinkle a few seeds over the top. Put some in a small bowl or on a small plate and set on cage floor away from possible poop droppings. Also, to keep them healthy, get a bottle of birdy vitamins and mix a few drops into the seed in tbe seed cup, about once every 2-3 weeks.

Keep trying different veggies until some become their favorites.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-29-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Oh my! Im sorry to hear about your bird. The petco sales person told me they give the budgies broccoli and to give my budgie broccoli but i was kinda scared since i didnt know if it was ok for them to be eating that type of thing. Alot of people told me to feed her cabbage, broccoli, and kale since its suppose to be healthy for them. Im glad you told me not to! Thank goodness she hasnt eaten that stuff since i got her. Every website i go to search for foods to feed her i dont know if its safe to feed her it, especially since some sites give the wrong information.
    Thank you though for telling me! Is there a certain type of lettuce you have to give them? I heard no iceburg lettuce is allowed. Sorry for all the questions im new to owning a budgie and im really scared of poisoning her. If possible, can you tell me what you feed your budgies so i can start attempting to feed her safe food? Thanks again!

Remove Ads